1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General Maintenance question 2017 Prius 2

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atterbury90, May 7, 2022.

1. atterbury90

atterbury90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Been loving my 2017 Prius 2 since I bought is in late NOV 2017. It now has 121,000 U.S. miles on it, and I've never spent save for oil changes, tire rotation, filters, wiper blades, etc., all done by my local Toyota dealer. Now it's time for what they call the 120,000 mile service which will include new aux battery, front brakes and rotors, oil and tire rotation, filters and spark plugs. The price is $1,248 with a 10% discount. Is this prudent and is it a worthy service interval or should I be doing these items myself or at the local garage I use for my other cars? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the service list is pure nonsense, but the price is right (y)

follow your maintenance guide. if you can't find it, go to toyota.com/owners.

then find another dealer that doesn't have a yacht payment to make.

certainly, diy would be best, or a local respected garage can do it.

atterbury90 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe some of the items are warranted? Batteries can fail, and maybe the brakes were up for replacement. Still, look in the Warranty and Maintenance booklet for what Toyota says. I think new plugs is the highlight.

upload_2022-5-7_16-43-14.png

(If you don't have the paper copy, you download pdf version. Toyota Tech Info is one source.)

atterbury90 likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "aux battery, front brakes and rotors"

These should only need doing if ... they need doing. Not routine. Brakes, depending on condition may last a lot longer than that. Same with battery - only if it's deficient - mine is still going strong and it's 18 months older than yours. Wiper blades - similar - if needed.

Doug McC, jerrymildred and FuelMiser like this.
  5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Before you spend money on brake pads and rotors, I would have them provide the data: measure the brake pad thickness and provide the min spec to compare it to plus rotor wear (you can see/feel at lip at the outer edge of the rotor where the metal has worn away). Then I would have an indy do the same measurement and compare the data. If you're crafty, you can pull the spark plugs and inspect them for wear/tear/deposits, etc. and measure the gap. As long as your MPG is holding up, I would not worry about the plugs. You can have your battery load tested, and you might unscrew the filler caps and make sure the plates are still wet (fully covered). My 2016 is still on the original battery. I would not change any of these items without demonstrable evidence they need it.

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like someone's trying to rob you. Unless the aux battery is bad (which would be pretty obvious to you) and the brakes are actually worn out. That could be possible since many people report horrific corrosion on the brakes in some northern states due to salt sabotage. I'd for sure ask why they think you need rotors since even the pads usually last a couple hundred thousand miles or more and the rotors forever.

Doug McC, Tande and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Like others have said, the brakes and the battery are items you should question for sure, (yet I find it interesting that they say only the front ones, which, if any do need work the front ones would be the ones that should need it first). The plugs are something I would definitely consider, DEPENDING on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. At least have them pulled and shown to you by someone you trust (and at that point, might as well replace them). Assuming they have not been pulled before now, there is the real danger of breaking off some time in the future (thus my question as to how long you plan to keep it).
    Once you factor in the brakes and battery the total figure isn’t really out of line. AND, you have trusted them for 4 1/2 years, so I would say that counts for something.

#7 Doug McC, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022