1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

generation 1 prius with gen 2 modules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Sep 19, 2009.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so some of you know my HV battery on my 01 prius is on its way out, originally there was 1 bad module, but since i load checked all the modules i found another 2 that are bad.

heres my dilemma, using two 04-09 prius to rebuild a 01 prius pack, or buying modules whenever this problem comes up.

to me it seems that I would have to get new NHW11 modules everytime i get this problem, which i think would happen again, for peace of mind, im considering buying two 04-09 prius batteries. But will the same problems occur on the new prius battery?

Also if anyone knows an alternative module that would work, providing the proper 7.2-7.8 volt and correct capacity let me know.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the NHW20 batteries are more reliable because they have dual interconnections for the cells within the modules, and are not as prone to leakage. If I were in your situation I would definitely buy two NHW20 battery assemblies esp since they are so inexpensive currently, with most 2G still under hybrid system warranty.

If you do this, pls take some photos showing the NHW20 modules within the NHW11 case.

3. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright ill post pics, im gonna locate a deal on these batteries, if i can get two packs for 600 that would be great, i found a couple junkyards selling the packs for 400.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that Carolyn of Luscious Garage in SF has already done this, you might check out her website.

Bob Wilson previously verified that the physical size and footprint of the NHW11 and NHW20 modules are similar except the busbar terminals on NHW20 modules are at a different height above the base of the module, which is one reason why you have to replace all 38 modules if you switch to NHW20 modules.

Good luck.

5. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great news, i got my hands on two 05 prius batteries for 500 dollars low mileage.

If this works i might put the 28 good modules from the 01 into the new prius battery case and paralelling it with my current 05 prius battery. Not sure how this would work yet.

6. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think i just had the deal of the year, i got a HV battery from a 07 prius with ~50k miles for 150 bucks, no bad modules!! i will post pictures tommorow, im just waiting on a second battery now.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know how this would work as well. The problem with putting battery modules in parallel is that the module with less internal resistance is going to suck up the charging current while the other module won't charge sufficiently. This is why Toyota has the modules in series, so that every module experiences the same charge/discharge current.

Great, I suppose this deal replaced the "two batteries for $500" that you mentioned above?

It will be interesting to see whether you have to charge one set of batteries in order to get both sets to similar state-of-charge.

8. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup the deal replaced the two for 500, im going to try to sell the 07 battery ECU with the case to recoup my 150. Im also still looking for another battery, anything under 300 is a good deal for me. My plans are to pick the pack with lower voltage and charge the modules up individually to the higher voltage on the other pack. I recently purchased a NiMh charger so this should not be a problem.

Heres something interesting i found out on the 04-09 prius HV battery. The 01 prius had a service plug which in theory connected two halves of the battery ~ 140 volts on each half. The 04-09 prius has a 66 volt and a 144 volt "half" that is jumped by the service plug. I just found it interesting that its not exactly half as on the 01 prius.

Also something i noticed was the 04-09 Prius battery has almost no corossion on the copper plates.

Also pardon my word "jump" i just use it to describe the service plug connecting the two halves in series.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I had also noticed that, and the question is why. Having taken the covers off, do you see any particular reason for the service plug to break the string at that particular point?

Could it be that the Toyota engineers think that ~140VDC is safe enough? (note the Classic battery, when the service plug is removed, becomes two batteries of nominal 136.8V each)

Good to hear that you do not see corrosion on the 2G busbars, that should mean a long life for the 2G battery modules.

Have you gotten to the point where you have disassembled the Classic battery case, and tried a 2G module to confirm whether 38 of them will fit without a problem?

10. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gen 1 case is disassembled and a few modules are out, seems pretty easy once you loosen the sides, and the bar on top.

I didnt get time to take apart the gen 2 battery, today i finally got my 2nd battery ordered for 250 from a place in NY. SO i ended up paying 400 total for two HV batteries, which is a great deal in my opinion.

as far as i can see, I cant explain the reason behind the service plug and those two connections, im guessing, but not sure that the 144 volt is isolated from the ECU portion, while 66 volts would be, which means its a lot more safer to work on with 66 volts.

11. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Success! finally I got around to swapping modules from a 05 and 07 prius HV battery.
    The car drives like brand new, the gas mileage has improved vastly. I took it on a 15 mile run and averaged 55.8 mpg. Since i didnt have the battery cover on im not planning on taking it farther.

The only issue is the battery cover.
    The 04-09 modules are larger, and im having trouble putting on the battery cover, so in order to fix this im thinking of cutting the original case and extend it 1 inch over the existing width, the sides of the case are pressing against the new modules.

Sorry for the large pictures, two of them are the two gen 2 batteries where the modules have been removed, one where all 28 is removed and another where only 10 have been removed. I have a lot of extra parts, including 38 gen 1 modules ( some are bad ), and 18 gen 2 modules and a gen 2 battery ECU.

Also something interesting to note, the 04-09 modules only have one screw that holds them to the case, versus two screws per module on the gen 1.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations!

Did you have to equalize the SOC levels?

Did you drill holes on the bottom of the case to secure the new modules, or were you able to use the existing holes?

I was wondering whether you might be able to use the two 2G battery case covers as raw material to fabricate a new cover for the Classic battery case?

13. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think it would work if i used two 2g covers, reason is based on that big hole for the vent fan, i would have to fabricate that which = more work. I managed to get a few of the modules screws in. It initially didnt match up, until i tightened the hold down bars.

I didnt equalize the SOC levels since each of the modules from the batteries had 7.61 volts.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's awesome! I think the new modules even have a wee bit
    more capacity, 6.5 Ah vs 6, not that you'll get to really use
    it, but...
    I definitely wouldn't try to squeeze the old cover on, as it would
    be trying to crush inward toward all those delicious metal battery
    terminals sticking out through your interconnects. But you
    probably need *some* kind of cover for as-designed airflow.
    _H*

15. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think im gonna cut the cover lengthwise and add filler material to widen it maybe a half inch. OR retrofit the gen 2 case on the 01 prius case.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds good. The battery case seemed pretty substantial to me, what tools will you use to cut the sheet metal?

Pls take and post photos of the finished result.

17. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was thinking of clamping the top of the case on two clamps and cutting straight down the middle with a reciprocating saw.

18. petelisa71

petelisa71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Has anyone gone the step of buying the how to guide on the internet. I have an 01 with dead battery and am going to get it running. I am not just sure about doing the battery rebuild myself. The guy selling the guide says it is easy, I am a little concerned that easy for someone might not be easy for everyone. Any thoughts about how easy a rebuild is with the guide?

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not so sure about a guide with so little sample text available for preview. We don't really know who wrote it and they seem to be keeping what should be a fairly straight forward process rather secretive. Color me a little skeptical about the manual, the battery upgrade should be fairly striaght forward.

I've seen the work "Re-InVolt" is doing and I would recommend giving them a call before starting the effort.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  20. petelisa71

petelisa71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I am considering removing the battery and taking it to re-involt to exchange for one of there rebuilt ones. I am heading south in March on a holiday, so it would not be out of the way to do that. How long should it take novice to remove the battery? Thanks for the reply. I am in Ontario Canada