1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation 3 oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by freshfuel, Apr 2, 2016.

1. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone I am new to the Forum. I was looking to buy a used Generation 3 Prius and I was dismayed to find out that in particular the 2010 model had an issue with oil consumption. Does a 2011 model year and Beyond also have the same issue or did Toyota do something to fix the problem?

Preeeus likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not all 2010 models have a problem, just make sure you get good service records that show on time oil changes. It seems if the owners are doing oil changes on a more frequent schedule, there is not much evidence of oil burning

SM-N900P ?

3. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also noticed that the oil burning ssues seem to be spotty but significant. The people who have a problem claim that they followed the oil change schedule religiously. I was just curious if there was more of an issue with the 2010 model compared to the later model Priuses

4. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2010 with 85,000 miles and does not use any. Has been changed every 5,000.

5. jazzdup74

jazzdup74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2013 at 100k and after the first 1k on the oil change, it burns about 1quart per 1500k to 2000k depending on how much highway driving at 70+mph I do. If the motor is having to work a bit harder, oil consumption is more.

I have changed the oil with the dealership every 10k until 60k miles were on it. Then I went to 5k miles on oil changes

donaldo and Rebound like this.
  6. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is good to hear Ozark man

My 1991 toyota corolla wouldn't go through any oil between oil changes (5k) up until 175k but now I go through a quart because of leak/burning. Two quarts of oil between oil changes doesn't seem too excessive but if you were to go the full 10k between oil changes you would have to add 5 quarts of oil between oil changes or another way of looking at it a full oil change between oil changes

#6 freshfuel, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Ozark Man likes this.
  7. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 Prius, 150,000 miles oil changed every 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 0W20 since 40,000 miles. No oil consumption in 10,000 miles.

Sara J. likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Problem, what problem?

Zero oil consumption between oil changes, did #11 yesterday. Maybe one batch? Our was August '09 build.

9. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that is good to hear milkman. I hear of some people having a problem and they would have to beg toyota to do an "oil consumption test" where they would seal up the drain plug, dipstick tube and oil filter to see how much oil is gone after like 1000 miles.I may be wrong on the exact specification but if it is down like a quart and a half toyota might remedy it if the drivetrain is still under warranty.

10. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that is great to hear Mendl

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does Toyota seal up everything on a consumption test?

SM-N900P ?

12. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    from what I understand they make everything the car tamper evident such as tape and the technicians initials on the oil cap,dipstick tube and oil filter. They tell you not to check your oil because the tamper evident tape on the dip stick tube would be busted and make the test invalid

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, that makes sense. I always wondered what's to keep someone from draining some oil out and get a new engine

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    freshfuel, if you can find out exactly why some allegedly well-maintained Prii have the oil-guzzling habit and others don't at similar mileage, a lot of owners would like to know why, and what we need to do to avoid it.

Toyota's "consumption test" could potentially result in destoying a repairable engine if it drinks too much within the specified test distance (1000 miles?), and the owner is not allowed to check or add oil.

douglasjre likes this.
  15. freshfuel

freshfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I first heard about the problem on the car site carcomplaints.com. that site shows a lot of problems for the 2010 model Prius for excessive oil consumption but in later years it doesn't show up as much. in the same web search I found information about Toyota excessive oil consumption for other models most notably the Camry Hybrid. apparently there is a class action lawsuit being filed against Toyota right now for some of these models

Preeeus likes this.
  16. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2013 Prius with 67K miles, no oil consumption. Car is driven mostly on highways at 70 MPH. Oil has been changed every 10K miles. Checked at 5K intervals and no signs of oil consumption.;)

17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As others have mentioned in other threads, the reasons 2010s predominate may be that they've been around longest, have the most miles on average, and are more numerous because it was an extra-long model year.

The nearest relevant class action lawsuit I've read about was for oil-guzzling 2007-10 regular Camrys. That forced Toyota to offer repairs to affected Camry owners who jumped through all the required hoops (including failing the oil-consumption test at a specified level).

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked on that and there is a total of 6 complements for oil consumption in the worst year, 2007: 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

there is no question there is a problem with some toyota engines, but 2.5L (in hybrid camry) isn't one of them.

this makes one wonder what is OP's agenda.

19. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prior to getting the Prius, my ride was a 2009 Toyota Camry LE. I sold it with 144K miles and did not consume oil. Oil was changed every 5K miles. Just recently I got a notification from Toyota regarding the excessive oil consumption on the Camrys. Since this is N/A, in the trash can it went...:D

20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting data point. With both the Camry and now the Prius, you must be doing something right that many others aren't---whether that involves maintenance practices or the way you drive.

douglasjre and Bay Stater like this.