1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation 4 2016 Prius Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mukunda, Mar 3, 2023.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. It's a bulletin to service technicians that tells them how to address a problem that has been happening.

A recall says, "Take your car to the dealer and get it fixed for free." It's usually safety related like fires, wheels falling off, brake failures, etc.

2. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the clarification.

looks like in my case dealer saw code P148F during oil change(2016 Prius -at 45K) and hence followed TSB - T-SB-0135-19
    as Exhaust pipe is covered under Emissions warranty I don't have to pay anything.

At least Dealer should have proactively give me heads up to keep an eye on Coolant leak / possible other issues.
    Instead he said we can not fill the coolant to full under warranty repair, we are filling to minimum level only.- Nothing more than that.

Apparently either my dealer did not fix it properly or it is Manufacturing issue (Head gasket) caused P148F appeared again with the overheat of engine and couple of other codes and total failure of Engine at 51K.

Apparently Toyota of USA could not explain me in better way as they have to agree it is Manufacturer defect (subject to recall).

3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    They probably would have repaired for free if you took it in immediately, especially with recent visit on file for the TSB repair. But that you drove for a while after the overheating began, that'll sink your chances every time. They'll blame you for any damage they think can be caused by overheating up to and including head gasket failure. If something gave out and you had a sudden coolant loss on the highway, stopped and had it towed straight to the mechanic that would be good for your case.

My wife once ignored a coolant warning for almost 100 miles and that killed our 2006 Camry hybrid. It was 10 years old and had 200k miles and probably would have lasted longer if she had stopped and got towed to the mechanic. It was in limp mode when she pulled into the dealership after driving all day. We only got $500 on trade for it.

4. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still believe even if I took it to them when coolant light was. they would do some patch up work
    what we are seeing across the forum
    once P148/ P145 comes up engine is more or less gone.

Another interesting thing.
    initial report vs final report - codes are different
    Initial report had P148F. now final report (after I paid the bill ) it has different code P145.

Initial report
    upload_2023-3-10_11-31-51.png

Final report.

upload_2023-3-10_11-29-47.png

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The reason it's your cost is the coolant light came on in late February and you were still driving it on March 1. You just can't do that.

I certainly would not pay a dealer $10,000 for a used engine from LKQ. If you want that engine have some independent shop buy the same engine from the same place and install it for about $5000 total, maybe far less.

A dealer can get you a new short block and a new cylinder head using most of the other bolt on parts and effectively give you a new engine. Many dealers will do it for thousands less than $10,000.

A completely rebuilt engine is usually as good and can be done for about $5000 as well.

BmMan and kc5dlo like this.
  6. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the response.
    I am not sure if there are any laws around Engine replacement.
    I called couple of shops, they said they can not do it. Only dealers can replace the Engine.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should call more knowledgable shops. The one I just retired from replaces engines in Prii fairly often. On my last day there, we had four rebuilt 3rd gen engines sitting in inventory.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is also Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana. They use salvaged low mileage engine/transmissions for Gen2 Prii for about $2k.

JeffD

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Mukunda's zip code indicates Dallas, Texas. @rjparker has recommended a shop in that State IIRC.

10. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took my 2016 Prius to previous dealer where they found P148F in August 2022.
    It is been 3 days they are still diagnosing.
    So far they are saying Head Gasket - 3 cylinders failed (not giving sufficient power).
    I am questioning if improper fix of P148F in August (changed Front Exhaust pipe in September) could have lead to Engine failure, so far they are denying that.

I still strongly believe Toyota TSB is not right or they did not train the technicians properly or they are just covering up the Manufacturing defect
    P148F -> coolant leak / pump failure -> T-SB-0135-19 /Front Exhaust replacement-> ultimately ending with Head gasket.

waiting for full details and the estimate

#30 Mukunda, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, at this point who cares?

I have counted - TWELVE - threads where you repeat the same story, again and again (and again). I might have missed one or two.

What's the point of all this? We can't collectively "think" real hard and WILL Toyota into fixing your car.

At this point, Toyota has decided it's your problem. Yeh, that stinks- but not much that can be done by repeating it here.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

BmMan and kc5dlo like this.
  12. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for reading all my posts across the threads.

I am trying to connect the dots and find root cause of the engine failure.

It doesn't matter who pays for the repair.
    I still did not get clear good Root cause Analysis either from this forum (which has may good experts) or from the dealer.

Just matter of the reliability, we buy Toyota assuming it is more reliable than Korean Makes like Hyudai (even though they offer 10 years- 100K miles warranty).

13. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I use the leak in a tire example warranty vs abuse. If you had a tire with a leak and it goes flat, would you continue to drive on the flat tire because fixing it was not convenient with your schedule? Shred the tire and ruin the rim then expect the tire company to replace everything with new after driving multiple days with the flat because you bought the road hazard warranty?

14. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for reading my post.

Can anyone explain when there is P148F is detected replacing the Front exhaust pipe using T-SB-0135-19 is the right solution?
    As that was the 1st point of failure for perfectly running Prius 2016 at 44K miles.

After facts is definitely understandable.

On the same note. If you have problem with brake, replacing battery doesn't help right?

upload_2023-3-20_11-50-7.png

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12 volt battery, yes. the hybrid battery, no.

16. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Irving Toyota Dealer Replaced Engine (LKQ - rebuilt) and charged me 7.5K.
    better than other dealer (Richardson Toyota) - quoted 10K.

They test drove 60 miles and delivered car 2 days back.

After reaching home I checked Coolant level - it was below low.
    Drove another 60 miles - dropped further.

Technician said initially they will top off and give back my car in 30 min.(today - 3/27)
    After 30 min they came back and said needs more testing of coolant leak, also they are seeing white smoke from Exhaust.

They are checking with me about extended warranty.

Looks like it is back to Original problem dealer created by executing T-SB-0135-19 in correctly.

Experts please shed the light.
    After spending 7.5K on rebuilt engine, went through all the tests (Dealer is claiming).
    coolant started disappearing again, what does it mean.

couple of questions.
    1. When someone replaces Engine do they touch any thing related to Exhaust / coolant system?
    2. Recurrence of problem (coolant disappearing - after New engine) is due to
    a) incorrect installation of New Engine
    b) T-SB-0135-19- Front Exhaust pipe created the problem and Engine Replacement is not the complete solution?

17. Shahzad Nayyar

Shahzad Nayyar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your exhaust heat recirculation system is at fault. Your previous engine might not have been the culprit. Get ur exhaust system checked for coolant. You could bypass the system if u r not in warranty. That shud solve ur problem

Mukunda likes this.
  18. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the insight.
    So you are supporting my Theory
    P148F -> T-SB-0135-19 -> Front Exhaust Replacement - during taking this path they did not do something correctly which would have caused my Engine Failure.

Fingers crossed.
    Waiting for further diagnosis

19. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm not sure anyone here is going to know more about your repair than your own mechanics. Did they drop in an entirely new engine or did they rebuild your old one? Did they replace the exhaust and coolant systems with the engine or leave those alone?

With a major engine failure like what you experienced it might have impacted more than just the motor. The exhaust system could have been damaged or warped leading to additional leaks, the connections with the new engine could be messed up. If they rebuilt your old engine there could be other problems with it that rebuilding it didn't address.

It sounds like they're doing what they can for you. They can certainly try to find out if the exhaust system repair done by the first dealership might be contributing to coolant loss, but it might be impossible to determine depending on how much damage was caused when the engine overheated and seized.

20. Shahzad Nayyar

Shahzad Nayyar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Most likely, due to low-to-none coolant due to leak in the exhaust system, the engine overheat and caused damage to head gasket which could lead to multiple issues. I think you should get a detailed checkup of the Exhaust system. Someone else had suggested in another post to bypass the exhaust system for coolant. I think that is a wise option