1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation 4 Navigation does not reroute.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kqt2ktval, Oct 25, 2016.

1. kqt2ktval

kqt2ktval Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does anyone have issues with the navigation where it doesn't tend to reroute.

I live in the Bay Area and there are definitely more than one way to get home. I've selected one way to go home by using preset or either say " Go Home" . If I don't acknowledge the direction, it pick the one that comes up.

As I was driving down 580, there is a stretch of freeway which always have a ton of traffic and a higher chance of getting into an accident. I've decided against going that route, and switch freeway. As I drove down Highway 13 to 24. The Navigation keep on telling me to exit and then turn around although I was in an area where I can cut across the mountain and reach home. I know for a fact, this is the shorter distance than if I were to turn around. It doesn't recalculate a new route.

My old Lexus navigation, provides with with a choice of 3 routes if it can locate it and allows me to pick. Does this system have something similar? I went through all the options

Is anyone having this type of experience as well?

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find that for a short duration the nav will hold onto the previously chosen route and attempt to get you back on that track. But very soon, reality takes over and re-routing is automatic.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It uses fuzzy logic that favors (what should be) faster roads like freeways over avenues, and avenues over neighborhood roads, etc. It will also slightly favor right turns over left turns. So it's not picking the planned route on distance alone, it's favoring what it thinks is arrival time. That's why taking a U-Turn on a freeway is recommended repeatedly over weaving through surface streets... until you've ignored it for enough distance for some other suggestion to be more beneficial.

It's assumptions don't always work out based on traffic conditions.

I noticed there are two options that I believe were OFF by default. One is whether to use the traffic data from HDRadio/Entune when planning routes. The other is whether or not to automatically reroute based on new traffic data. If you change these settings, be sure to press the SAVE button; if you use the back arrow or go to another screen (e.g. APPS) it will ignore your settings.

If you are at a complete stop when entering your destination, you will have the option to select from 3 routes (one of which is shortest by distance). If you initiate guidance and start driving, or are already moving, it doesn't give you a choice and immediately selects the option it thinks is quickest. You can change the route at any time, but it requires going a few levels into the route options menu which can be distracting while in motion -- use with care or have a passenger do it.

On Gen2 there were "quick 1", "quick 2", and "short" voice commands to switch between the three routes. I can't recall if similar commands exist on Gen4.

RCO and krmcg like this.