1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation ONE Prius - any still on the road?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by natsmada, Nov 25, 2011.

1. natsmada

natsmada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I bought my first and so far, only, Prius back in September of 2000 (it's a 2001 model). Back then, the ONLY two options were a CD player and floor mats. "Snoopy" started out life in Phoenix, AZ for his first 7 years, then we moved to MinneSNOWta, where he does just fine in the snow and ice. He currently has 192,300 miles and is going strong ( I plan to get at least 200K miles before I either sell him or pay $5000 to have an after market plug-in battery pack installed.
    I was wondering if there are any other Gen One's still on the road?

2. TwoBear

TwoBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My neighbor two doors down still has one - a pretty light blue/lavender color. It looks really good for it's age and can be seen running around the neighborhood pretty much every day.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see about 1 a month and probably miss more than that. Considering they weren't common when they were new, that's pretty good.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see them, here in the Twin Cities, on a regular basis still. In fact, this week those sightings have become a bit surreal. Having purchased my Classic model back in Sept 2000, the placement of my order for a plug-in model marks an event I dreamed about happening a decade later. And it did!

5. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you smoking something? Besides those of us who post on this forum, I see plenty of them on the road too.

6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spot one occasionally. They're cute. The gear selector is large. Jay Leno thinks they will become a classic car.

7. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Funny to think there are aleady "Classic" Priuses. But they've been around more than a decade.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which Gen 1 Prius?

There's the NHW10 (1997-2000) sold new in Japan, & later used to a small grey market in Australia, New Zealand & UK.

and, there's the XW11 (2001-2003) sold in the U.S.

Through various channels - a few on PC got a hold of the NHW10's and found out the hard way that some of the bugs still needed working out. And since there's no support for the NHW10 outside of Japan, it can be a headache having them put back in good order.

Long story short, they're both still on the road - although the number are likely down from the 100,000 + originally manufactured. But that's the usual order of cars, after they've been in production for 12 or 14 years.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You mean NHW11, now XW11. (I HATE whoever screwed up the Wikipedia entry for the Prius and most/all Toyotas. Toyota has NEVER called their Priues XW11, XW20, XW30, etc. Bwilson4web looked into their "reasoning" and we disagree but neither of us have time to fight it or make changes to have them undone by whoever the "genius" was.)

I know of a folks still driving their NHW11. I see some parked or running around from time to time, including one today.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My work's fleet has a 2001 in Brilliant Blue Pearl.

I see a few from time to time but they're getting rarer and I haven't seen all the colours yet.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since many programming languages start their numbering at 0 rather than 1, calling the Japan only "first" model of Prius gen-0 works fine with me.

12. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which ones haven't you seen? I kind of liked the electric green ... kind of a dark jade color:

[​IMG]

On sunny days it really sparkles. Here's a link to the colors, for those who haven't seen them, or for that matter, any of the early model cars:

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Toyota/Prius/2003/

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see a few around, but they're fairly rare compared to the Iconic model.

I love that green colour - too bad it wasn't kept. The colour and the name (Electric Green) seemed perfectly appropriate.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's at least 3 in my home area. At one house I've seen 2 Gen 1 Priuses and another Gen 2 parked outside. I've seen two different Gen 1 Priuses (1 green, 1 silver) used as pizza delivery cars.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few differences in colours between the US and Canada I think. (Or was it North America vs. Japan??).

I have not seen black, Golden Pearl, or Blue Moon Pearl (Colours not available in Canada). I might've but not sure if I saw Aqua Ice Opalescent (called Ocean Blue Pearl here) in real life.

Silver Strata was called Silver Sand up here.

Electric Green is nice. My favourite is the Imperial Jade two-tone on the 2000/2001 4Runner Limited and Dark Emerald Pearl on the mid 90s Camry and Corolla.

17. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Dad has one. I am considering the second or third Gen.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw two today in the parking lot of a large strip mall. I parked my white 2nd gen right next to a white 1st gen. :)

19. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Our Generation ONE may just run forever.

I just replaced spark plugs and PCV valve in our 2001 at 144k miles, and our mpg crept back up over 48 for our holiday driving.

Other repairs in 11 years of ownership include the exhaust system at 90k, front brakes at 130k, tires at about 30k/90k and two 12 volt batteries. (Thanks to Priuschat and the old Yahoo group for advice on how to do that!)

Does anyone have an idea how many classics might still exist?

Mark