1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

generator -- inverter -- Honda -- break-in needed?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Dec 20, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a Honda generator 2000w 1600w running. Inverter

Husband has been reading that you need a break-in period. A long involved break-in. The manual says nothing about it. the link below is the one he is placing his faith in....

How to Break In A Honda EU2000i - Thaw Out!!

Opinions??

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, I think the procedure outlined in the link you provided would do absolutely no harm -- other than waste a bit of gasoline.

I look at it like this. Honda does not specify a break-in. And, IIRC, while major automakers used to specify a break-in, I don't think any of them offer much advice on that anymore.

Does that mean engines do not need it. No, at least IMHO. It means people are lazy and the makers realize people -- in the most part -- do not want to be bothered.

For new cars, you were always told to run it at varying speeds and try not to go above 50 mph for the first -- what 500 or 1,000 miles.

I think something like that is reasonable for the Honda engine. Start it, let it run without load for five or so minutes and then put a small load on it. A couple of 100-watt bulbs or something....After five or 10 minutes, take off one of the bulbs, after five or 10 put a couple of more bulbs on.

Then, after some 10 minutes, shut it down and change the oil. The fact that there is no filter seems to make this a necessity.

Start it back up with new cheap oil, run it on a few varying loads and after some 15 or 20 minutes, shutdown and change oil again. After that, I would call it good.

Of course, looking back at all that, it sort of sounds like the advice given in the link. :whistle:

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have similar advice here about prius oil changes. if you search the internet long enough, you will find someone who agrees with you.
    if he is going to do it, grab a cold one, and watch him through the window. should be entertaining, if nothing else.

RCO likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No oil filter eh? To me that does argue for a break in and subsequent oil changes on short intervals.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I was surprised when I looked at the specs of the Honda and saw that it was just a "splash and dash" lube system with no filter.

I think that begs a quick oil change -- or two.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most small engines do not have oil filters, from what i have seen in the lawn and garden department.
    they are usually fine for 10 or 20 years without doing anything special, based on my experience.
    if you want them to last a lifetime, who's?

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Our thread starter may have asked before what to do with leftovers from oil changes. Here's what.

Pay more attention to oil health in $2000 machines vs. $200 machines makes sense to me.

Hubby will do oil changes anyway. Cyber can just sneak off and 'invest' in lotto tickets.

RCO likes this.