1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GenII HV Battery Fan cleaning and testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by w2co, Jul 30, 2019.

1. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed you have 80K messages bisco, you must be on here everyday huh. Is Patrick Wong still on here?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes and yes :)

davecook89t and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't ring a bell. i looked at their site but couldn't find it. how much?

w2co likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does that matter? Both bisco and Patrick Wong would tell you a refurbished battery is a bad idea.

w2co likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe they are just making small talk as 80k is impressive and Patrick Wong has been on here for a fair bit of time too;).

That’s how I read it anyway (y).

w2co likes this.
  6. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes every one here is very knowledgeable from experience and experimentation, I myself started in the gen1 days and that was fun and sometimes frustrating as well, but that's where one gains knowledge right? On the Electron automotive page just look at their Gen2 rebuild kits, they have a kit with all new modules that are tested and matched as far as positions 1-28 they should go in the pack, You would use the same case and electronics and just remove the old used up modules and put in the new ones. Look at their videos. I think you can send them the old modules even and they will retest them and or recycle them. It looks very doable. Anyway, I'm not there yet, this pack is still functioning ok but without the fan it won't be for long...here's the link for gen2 Toyota Prius (2004-2009) – Electron Automotive these are brand new modules! Tested, charged and matched by their sys. Not refurbed according to their videos.

#46 w2co, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fan blower is still never coming on! I noticed in the fuseable link (on 12v batt pos. terminal), there is a 50A link (obviously for system pwr) then there's a 5A fuse in the front side of the link block that reads good with ohmmeter but still no +12 out. This would make sense since the blower I've tested at slightly more current than that, but the fuse is NOT blown! Back to it, disconnect the negative from the 12 aux battery and then ohm it out to the blower conn next. Maybe there's an open wire to it.

8. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also noticed each time the neg of 12v aux gets disconnected, the next time you reconnect it, upon first press on power button (to turn on the car) it will have three or four lights lit, I think ABS and others. Just turn it off and back on again and all is good. This I believe is because by disconnecting the neg of 12 batt removes all power to all ecus, so on the next power up the can buss must update everything again. It looks like it takes two power on attempts until it catches up. We work on equipment with I2C buss (which is similar to CAN buss) and we get the same thing on that, must apply power and wait a bit before first power on so it can run and catch up with all the ecu's. Same thing, turn it on to see errors, shut it off and turn on again walla! The buss didn't have time to update everything.

9. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's some of their videos Installation Videos – Electron Automotive

I like to disconnect the neg. of 12v aux battery as well right around the time the HV batt safety plug step. This way there's absolutely no way you could short circuit anything, the car is completely dead. When pulling connectors, push in the clip and pull it out, NOT by the wires! Grab the body of the connector. Most conn pins are only crimped on, not soldered. So by pulling on the wires, if there's a lose crimp you could pull the wire out of the pin creating a ghost you will be hunting for from then on. This may be the problem with the battery blower even more so because that blower motor draws right at the limit of current the fuse can handle! If that wire got yanked, it would never come on with no dtc's thrown. Another note, do NOT sit on the HV battery box, it is thin metal and cannot support your weight!

#49 w2co, Aug 2, 2019
  10. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the gen2 video,
    and pretty much where I'm at. Another thing I noticed is if the 12v neg is not disconnected, it may get a dtc when removing the batt ecu conns. Remember when 12v is connected, all ecu's are running - even with the car off!

11. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't use the drill to loosen the buss bar nuts, use a small ratchet to break them lose! Otherwise you won't know if any were already lose! That could be the problem to begin with... On the safety plug removal, you are merely causing an open circuit in the modules about 1/3 down the pack.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the video, he says, 'these are the new ones you're going to receive', but i'm not sure he means they are newly manufactured, or new to you. is there anything stating they are newly manufactured, when and where, what type and testing, etc.?

Raytheeagle, w2co and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, I assume by "remanufactured" they have them built by someone. They sure look brand new. You can tell a refu8rbed one by the discoloration from heat which they cannot get out. I will send them a question about that soon since I plan on doing it. The car has no other problems and is too nice to junk or sell. Even if it only lasted say 3 years, we won't be commuting anymore by then since we will hopefully retire before then, so the car will only be driven around town and fairly short trips. It should last. I noticed with no fan, just going across town, the batt pack is only slightly warm, more in the middle of course.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty amazing. i think most of us assumed the fan was critical. maybe long term?

i have never heard mine, but it is pretty quiet on low speed, and it doesn't get that hot around here.

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly didn't watch the video(s), and would doubt they're actually selling anything that includes new modules at all. Below are a couple of quotes from their FAQ page :

How do we test and remannufacture hybrid batteries?
    We first disassemble the battery assembly to its bare battery. Once it reaches that point it is ready for testing.

There are no simple ways or a single test that can tell you the true health of a battery. It takes time and several instruments/machines. We test each module (aka “cell”) and the data is collected and stored. This process takes several days to complete.

At the end all of this, the data is compiled and put through an algorithm which gives us an overall state of health. We are able to see everything about each battery. With this information we are able to predict the remaining life of each battery, whether it is 1 month or 10 years. The short-life batteries are sent for recycling and the long life batteries are used to keep your car on the road at a fair and affordable price.

How long do your remanufactured batteries last?
    After our testing, we are able to see virtually everything about each individual battery’s state of health. That gives us the ability to predict life expectancy and performance. We segregate the batteries by their life expectancy into packs whick will last 3, 4, 5, and 6 years.

Which ever warranty you purchase, we make sure to exceed the life expectancy of your warranty by about 2 years. We offer up to 5 year warranty on our batteries.

After looking over the pricing (and warranty upgrades) on their used batteries, they don't appear to be hyper competitive. Unless you brought the vehicle to them for the free install, you would also have to pay an additional $99 for a return label to ship back the core for the $400 refund. Now you are looking at $1300 to self install a used battery that only comes with a one (1) year 15k mile warranty, which doesn't seem like much of a deal (n)

And that five (5) year 75k mile warranty upgrade makes it a total of $2400 (a decent gouge :cautious:), when you can get a brand new OEM from Toyota for the same price or even $500 less. New OEMs can be had for $1600+ at various dealers, and even some of the used battery rebuilders will ship out a new OEM plug and play battery with free core return for $2400 or less.

Would pass, as there are many new/used options around for those who cannot rebuild or recondition on their own :whistle:

Raytheeagle, w2co and Skibob like this.
  16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem pretty handy. Why not get a @2k1Toaster battery kit and sell off your good used modules to help offset the price?

Raytheeagle, w2co and SFO like this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to ask, but I didn't notice if this was answered or not. How did you determine the fan wasn't actually working again?

With the vehicle in "Ready" and the rear passenger side plastic trim removed, does the inside of the squirrel cage fan not turn?

Like @bisco mention before, did you hold up a tissue near the backseat intake area and see if it was attracted towards such?

The PriusChat search feature is currently work again (shh.. don't tell the server wonks). A quick search will return many threads that cover much of whats being discussed in here.

You might find this thread interesting : Cleaned hv blower and battery. Battery temp now hotter | PriusChat

Raytheeagle and w2co like this.
  18. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I didn't ever hear it until recently after I heard a "pop" back there on a hot day going uphill but no blower noise! So I took the blower out and tested it on a hefty bench supply and it blows a LOT of air at 12v and draws around 5A! Startup surge is more. Anything below around 8V it will not start because it doesn't freewheel much. So thinking about that, I've never really heard it but after removing all the upholstery etc. I noticed the blower was already pretty clean, only needed a quick blow, and all the ducting is spotless inside and out. So I think bisco mentioned that it may have never ran. This may be true, it isn't ceased or anything but it is a little stiff to turn, no freewheeling at all. I thought well that is why it draws 5+Amps. Since I removed the input air duct to the pack, I can see the first few modules and they look a little melted! I could imagine what the middle ones look like! And that "pop" I heard back there was a module busting open from the heat. It still works, still maintains around 60SOC and nothing is different mpg wise, but I think the 13 yr old battery is in it's death throws. Anytime now will get the triangle of death...Looking at quick options here and to get the blower even running! I found the fuse for it, it's up front in engine compartment drivers side next to the inverter box 12V fuse box. Not Blown! So what now? BTW I reinstalled that blower and its ducting now in case I can get it to run. I suppose if I can't figure it out, we'll just wire a switch directly to 12 batt. and force it full on after car is "ready" of course. This may be the only way to avoid the triangle of death for now.

#58 w2co, Aug 2, 2019
  19. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an excellent link SFO, do you know how to force say a level 3 blower speed continuous on the SGII? I have one in there and it monitors SOC, MPG, RPM and BTV right now.

20. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see epoch_time had the same or very similar issues a few years ago, including my observations of over 5A current draw on the blower motor. but it just ends there. Did he finally figure it out or what?