1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GenII HV Battery Fan cleaning and testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by w2co, Jul 30, 2019.

1. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery fan fuse is 10A.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fan supply is PWM.

w2co likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't, as I use Torque with a 2 buck OBD2 bluetooth adapter for most of my needs.

If that device is even capable of such, and you don't feel like searching the forums for an answer, then try contacting Linear Logic directly and I'm sure you will get a prompt reply/answer to your question @ » X-Gauge Commands

w2co and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the SGII is mainly a "listening" device, not a commanding device. That's exactly what I think I need is a bluetooth adapter and the connect to it via an ipad mini with the big screen. So what app would you suggest for an ipad w/bluetooth. Does Torque run on an ipad? Oh and this ipad does not have the latest ios. It won't allow it, they forcing everyone to buy a new one.

5. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that link, yes the scangauge xgauges I already have the useful ones but they don't list many either. The most informative ones are BTV and SOC, I also have RPM and MPG for realtime. No battery temp. It works for watching those...but not for much else. That's why I think of it as a "monitoring device".

In the meantime, I decided to re install the fan and ducting just in case it comes on, and we had to use the car today, still haven't heard the blower come on...now thinking about perhaps pulling the cover off this pack just to inspect the cells, bussbars and where the temp sensors are. Maybe the dealer poped those out way back and left them in the bottom...since they messed up everything else they ever did to this car. but have another project this week. Soon

6. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please take safety precautions (like multiple fire extinguishers) if you continue to drive around with a failed battery pack.

If you have no codes, how are you scanning for OBD2 DTCs at this time ? (obtaining a mini-vci cable is a great idea)
    Not sure if placing a drop or two of light spindle oil on either end of the HV battery fan shaft will help. After reinstalling the fan, leave the plastic trim off and turn the vehicle on, does the fan turn on with the vehicle? (can you physically see it turning)

How many miles do you have on this 06 ?

w2co and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car has 61k mostly around town.. Auto Enginuity does scan the car for dtc's but there are none. Yet! It does scan the Bat ECU. But that's not to say it isn't finding something as it is six years old but still working on xp pro notebook. Yes I think I would like to get the mini vci cable. So it comes with the install disk too? Where to buy this? I found this: V13.00.022 MINI VCI For TOYOTA TIS Techstream minivci FTDI For J2534 OBD OBD2 Car diagnostic Automotive tool Auto Scanner cable-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group So the install disk has both the Techstream prog. and the cable driver? Yes I am carrying a fire extinguisher since a month ago I hear a POP back there. This is what got me thinking about it.

#68 w2co, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  9. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at the point where to go any further will require pulling the safety plug. By doing that will cause an open circuit about 1/3 down the pack, like old christmas tree lights, that were all in series, if one goes out they all go out. Same thing here.

10. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't want to wait a month buy from a US based seller on Amazon or Ebay. VXDIAG makes a better quality cable for about $70.

The battery fan can run at six different speeds depending on battery temp. It's only audible at the higher speeds. In a cool climate like yours it's normal to not hear the fan running and for it to be clean after years of service. Techstream has a utility that allows you to test and set the fan speed. I suspect your fan is working exactly as it should.

With topless modules your battery does need to be repaired or replaced.

I recommend you contact Boulder Hybrids.

Here's a shot of a blown up Camry. Check the modules next to the blown one

carefully. They tend to get cracked.

poptop.jpg

11. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes thank you for the info., I know about Boulder Hybrids. Been there a couple of times. Update: Am trying to
    get emissions test on airport road Longmont done however was driving at around 40 mph when
    I heard another distinct POP back there, so the hv battery is failing for sure. No dtc's yet and it got upto
    62mpg by the time we got back with an SOC over 60!. I really like those 2k1toaster battery packs which
    really are brand new! Plus we would get rid of these stinky modules.
    I was unaware those D cells could replace the modules, but i stand corrected. I have an inquiry in
    to them as far as availability etc. They are in the Springs, but cannot drive that far. I also ordered the techstream+dongle from aliExpress -see above post. If we can get the new pack soon, or else the
    car will have to be parked until then.

12. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple days ago I took the blower out and tested it on a hefty bench supply and it blows a LOT of air at 12v and draws around 5A continuous Startup surge is more. Anything below around 8V it will not spin because it doesn't freewheel much. So thinking about that, and what I've read in other threads, it's apparently PWM (haven't yet looked at with a scope), but if mine will not turn at 8v it probably will never turn at low speeds mentioned. Like 4-6v? speeds 1-3? forget that. This may still be a bad blower, so when I put in the new battery, I will be paying real close attention to this blower.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes other threads.

the fan runs constantly at slow speed. Air always circulating. If you can hear the fan its on full blast because the battery and or cabin is very hot.

You can run your homo made 12 volt fan system just hook it to the 12 volt battery back there and run a switch out to the cabin..It will be loud though.

14. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: We got the newpriusbattery and installed it. Car runs just like before except maybe even a few mpg more, just drove it around town so far, and all is ok with no dtc's at all. Actually saw 60mpg on the scangauge and SOC is pretty steady around 60. The original 13 year old modules are a little melted looking but they're still charged as well, had SOC of 64ish the last time it shut down. will probably wait to pick out the worse ones (ones that start dropping in voltage) and see if I can see where they popped, could be anywhere on any one of them right now. But hey it's 13 years old so time for new ones before the triangle of death comes. I think newpriusbatteries has the answer. I had Nick from newpriusbatteries.com with me from pre-purchase all the way through install. They've gone to version 3 now I believe, so the manual doesn't match exactly but I was able to figure it out with Nick's help of course. The 06 is happy, actually never even knew, I disconnected the neg of aux battery the whole time so it came up blank as always.
    Here are some shots along the way, and it worked first time!
    Box
    Box
    Box
    Box
    Box
    Box

Box

#74 w2co, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    donbright, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  15. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still have not heard the fan and I listened very closely for it but never heard it, although just driving around town today in 90deg heat and sun probably didn't get it hot enough. The fan looks very clean and it turns freely but feels somewhat stiff. So I threw it all back together and when I get Techstream up on the xp-pro notebook, will give that a whirl next...This new pack has all three temp sensors on the top now, so the fan should come on anyday now...That's what started this entire thread, I've never even heard the fan, well once maybe 6 years ago it screamed but never heard it since and then the 13 year old hv battery popped rather loudly so here we are, brand new hv Battery and no fan.
    Box

16. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During the surgery I disconnected the neg. of the 12v aux battery and I monitored it for a few days, the voltage dropped to 12.2 but after todays ride it is back up to 12.4ish. My question now is: has anyone ever used a battery maintainer say hooked to the "jump" pin up front eng. compartment fuse box, if I were to put a maintainer (not a charger) on that 12v jump pin, would it damage any electronics in the car? Or would it just do it's job and "maintain the 12v aux battery and not bother any other electronics. I was reading that these "maintainers" like the schumaker sp3 etc. (supposed to be very good) use pulse mode in maintain mode, supposed to antisulfate the cells as well.. Just curious if anyone has ever done this
    through the 12v jump pin up front. The car is off but as long as that 12v batt is connected, so are all the ecu's...I think it's very easy to cause a problem if anything pulls it down...or up.

#76 w2co, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Mendel Leisk has that set up in his Gen3 ;).

No issues shared here, so must still be working without issue(y).

w2co likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I have a charger quick connect wired in at the unde-the-hood fuse box. @NutzAboutBolts did a short video on accessing that, pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum (video #23).

Ours is on the charger (CTEK 4.3) pretty much any day the car's idle. Stays hooked up till next use of the car.

#78 Mendel Leisk, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    w2co, NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Disconnecting the 12v aux. battery during any procedures that require wrenches and screw drivers anywhere in the car is a good idea. But keep in mind, after re-connecting it, still is not ready for the stupid emissions test. It takes at least three driving cycles for it to become ready for test. So now I have a Schumacher SP3 (3A charger + maintainer) hooked up via the front fuse box (jump pin). I was a little leery of even trying this since all ecus are also in parallel with the 12v batt when connected, but it works great! The saving factor here is the leads are dead until it senses the battery. Even gives you % of charge in realtime. When it's 100% it merely goes into maintenance mode. Next have to wire in the pigtail, looks like it will come out on the inner side of driverside headlamp without opening the hood. Now we're ready for winter. Note never touch any kind of live wire to the jump pin!~ It can zap an ecu! The safest is to connect the pos. first , then neg to the frame (I used a strut bolt)
    try not to spark it..

20. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to try Techstream w/ Mini VCI today and see what's up with hv batt blower.

Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.