1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GenIII Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app

Discussion in 'OBDII Android App' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 7, 2011.

1. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello motoleon. The maths are correct, but i put "I-40" instead of "9/5*I - 40" in the Engine coolant temperature gauge and had no readings. I thought that changing the equation was enough to see the readings in ºC.

I'm trying to convert the ºF to ºC. I did and attempt this morning, but i failed. The gauge showed me "0" ºC all the time.

As you know, i have a scangaugeII, that works ok.

Do you know if there is a way to translate the data we put in the scangauge to the Torque program?

Scangauge asks me for the following fields: TXD/RXF/RXD/MTH

Torque asks me for the following fields: OBD2 PID/Minimun value/Maximum value/scale factor/Equation/OBD Header

Regards.

2. motoleon

motoleon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have torque, but it may be:

Engine coolant temperature,"ETF","2101","I - 40","-40","419","C","7E2"

Escribeme un privado en mitoyotaprius, tio.

Bye.

3. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Priusito - I was unable to save ETF Custom PID, as there is a generic PID with the same name. The generic PID (Coolant) in °C produces the correct reading. I tested the changed equation, D-40, for inverter coolant temeperature (ICF) in °C with the correct reading. May Custom PID ETF is not correct.

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Thanks Paja.:) Am I right to say the new formula for ICF, D * 9 / 17 + 15, is correct?

Vincent

6. priusito_de_mi_vida

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello again.

Once i received Vincent1449p's excel file, i'm trying to create a csv file to use in torque.

I created one, manually, but it didn't work, torque doesn't recognize it.

Now i'm looking for an excel to csv converter.

Do you know any?

Or do you know how to put the excel data on a csv file that can be read by Torque?

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use a macro in Excel to export to CSV. Create one with the script below and press Alt+F8 to run.

8. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PIDs/Sec

This evening, I checked the throughput using 2/3 interfaces:
    1) the bigone: with BT
    2) the smallone with BT
    3) the same bigone using USB instead of BT

I wanted to check the number of PID/Sec

The test was made on a tablet asus transformer prime (android 4 , ICS).

the results are quite interesting:
    1 : 27.4
    2: 27.8
    3: 62.4

between 1 and 2, results are similar, cost of the second one is half of the first one. size of the second one is very small.

between 1 & 3: it is exactly the same hardware, the only difference is BT versus USB.

conclusion BT brings a huge latency , USB is more than twice faster....

some more infos: both interfaces were using the same 115kbps speed.

In the beginning, I had some trouble with USB because I prepared some time ago the bigone for 230kbps, so I had to fall back to 115.

I tried on both interface to tweek the RN42 for latency without result...

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: PIDs/Sec

Wow! I didn't know you can use a USB OBDII device with Torque. I guess Transformer Prime can be a USB host. I now wonder if my phone can do the same.

10. priusito_de_mi_vida

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I've fixed the problem.

I use excel 2010.

I was using inverted commas "" surrounding each data, and separating them with a comma, just as i had seen in usbseawolf2000 file.

The inverted commas are not needed, at least in excel2010.

Incorrect:

Atmosphere pressure,"AP","2101","I","0","255","kPa","7"

Writing this way, torque doesn't see any data when loading the file.

Correct:

Atmosphere pressure,AP,2101,I,0,255,kPa,7

All the text must go in one cell.

So i must to erase ALL the inverted commas in my file.

Thanks anyway, usbseawolf2000.

11. priusito_de_mi_vida

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just about the latency: if we put a lot of different screens in torque, will the latency be increased?

I have reads of soc gauge of "0" % when the soc was about 55 %, not 0. Theese wrong reading triggeded an alarm i had created, making it unuseful.

12. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I exported Vincent's xls to CSV with the usage of similar macro as USBwolf - comma delimited and each field quoted. No issue with the usage.
    I currently have about 12 gauges on 4 different screens - I didn't notice any glitch, but as a driver I could not say precisely.
    Vincent the formula for IcF (in celsius) looks to be okay minimally at static point when I compared with Techstream.

13. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Frenchie, I see you have the interface with STN11100 chip from AH. Did you purchase the whole unit or kit? Does it has some casing? From AH page it looks it is just a naked assembly. I like that chip as it has possiblity to deploy sleep mode, which can be usefull for all time connection to OBD-II car port. Currently I use the blue plug which looks to interfere with CANBus during its start and when Torque is active - not confirmed fully yet, but currently it looks like.

14. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Paja,
    I got the adapter from AH fully operational.
    It has no casing, it is really small , see picture...
    [​IMG]

I tested the same blue thing in your link.
    It was really slow and not stable, real garbage...

How many PIDs / Sec do you get with the blue thing???

15. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Frenchie, I didn't do any performance tests yet, but when I saw some statistics from Torque status (?) add-in I noticed something about 10 PIDs/sec. I do not have stability problems, when blue plug/Torque initalize properly. Yesterday I drove about 350km without noticing a communication problem. I didn't measure the idle current of blue plug, so I dont know if it safe for aux battery to leave it plugged overnight and see if the CANbus issue will appeare next morning. I usualy unplug it after car off and plug in next morning while engine off and before commute drive, but it is not what I expected. I planned to leave the BT plug inserted all time.
    Do you know about any other STN11100 based interface then obdlink and AH? I like obdlink casing, but price not. I didn't find some universal, small OBD casing - something like blue, but with screws or snaps.

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Interesting result indeed! This is Torque app so I suppose no combined requests? If so then do you expect even higher data rate with combined requests?

17. priusito_de_mi_vida

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, before to start testing prius 3Gen gauges, there are several torque ones that doesn't work properly:

The comsumption ones:

- Trip lpk (l/100km).
    - LPK (avg) (l/100km). And Miles per gallon doesn't work either.

Theese are absolutely inaccurate, showing more than double of the right reading. And i think that they are important gauges. With scangauge the readings above are listed correctly.

- HP: always showing very low readings.

- Vol.Eff (%): shows nothing.
    - Engine oil temperature: shows nothing.

Any solution for this?

18. awh4992

awh4992 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Paja,

I'm the one who designed the module you're referring to. Yes, all of the modules at my site (I'd post the link here, but I'm not allowed to yet, so you'll have to refer to Frenchie's post above) do not have a case, but they are all the same physical size, if that helps you any. I'm in the process of trying to have an enclosure made for the unit, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on tooling and all that for my very low volumes of this thing. It's essentially a hobby project, not my full time job =). If there was a need for say I do not know, 50-100 of these modules, that would provide plenty of money to have an enclosure made.

That being said, the module that Frenchie has is very low power, and it doesn't produce a lot of heat. If you wanted to, you could encase the entire thing w/ epoxy or something like that. I haven't tried that, so I can't say that it'd be the best thing in the world to do, but I don't see any issues off hand.

My Bluetooth OBDII module does utilize the STN1110's sleep functions in 2 ways. The 1st is the STN1110 will go to sleep if there's a lack of UART activity (I think I have the timer set to 10 minutes or something like that). The 2nd sleep function is an external line from the Bluetooth module that puts the STN1110 to sleep immediately when there isn't any Bluetooth connection. The RN-42 Bluetooth module also goes into low-power mode when it's not connected to anything via Bluetooth. Using all of these power save modes along w/ an efficient power supply in the unit allows you to leave this module plugged into your car w/o having to worry about it draining your battery.

I do not know of any other STN1110 based modules besides the ones I've designed and the ones at Scantool. Most cheapo modules you see at the chinese sites are using ripped-off ELM327 chips or poorly designed clones. Most all of these cheapo chinese pieces of crap have some sort of compatibility issues with vehicles they're used in or the device they pair via Bluetooth to.

Let me know if you have other questions about my OBDII Bluetooth adapter!

-Andy

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Hi I have a separate question. Do you plan to produce devices using USB cables (to run at higher baud rates)? Thanks!

20. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just an update from the testing. The plug's startup hickup appears when it is connected to car and you lock/unlock doors. After that the obd is not able to initialize and block the CANBus communication, which leads to the U0073 DTC in brake ECU. I found the similar issue with Moongoose and Techstream, see link.