1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GenIII Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app

Discussion in 'OBDII Android App' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 7, 2011.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vincent1449p maintains the Google spreadsheet with custom PIDs for Torque. It is a most current set of PIDS, I think. The spreadsheet can be exported to .csv format via Excel for example, which is suitable for Torque app - GooglespreadSheet

2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the same spreadsheet is exported in the bottom of first post (second file).

Is someone willing to record his own data and post it here to compare? Now I think my MPG reading is correct a little more pessimistic than trip computer in the car, this indicates that it is more accurate.
    I would need:
    - Actual Engine Torque
    - Engine speed (rpm)
    - instant consumption with vehicle speed or fuel flow (per minute or per second)

Don't forget to add units (metric or US). Track recorder is great plug in for Torque I will try to record my commute from work and post it here.

My data so far:
    Welcome to Google Docs

Also give a spec of type of gas used (methanol content). Our gas (EU) by the specification must have at least 42,700 KJ/kg (11.861 kWh/kg) heating value per Wikipedia gasoline should have average 13 kWh/kg with 4% around this value, only god knows what I'm getting on gas station.

What is bugging me is when I calculate BSFC from above values I get 245 g/kWh at best, that is 10% of the specified value. The reason I ask is because last year (when I bought the car) it was overfilled with 5W40 oil and I was getting 5 % worse fuel economy that I'm now with 0W20, but the improvement wasn't instant after oil change but after 3,000 miles. If I use all the hypermiling tehnics I know, I manage to get 3.7 l/100 km (63 MPG) indicated on MFD display this in reality is around 3.9 (60 MPG). This is very slow driving with pulse and glide and almost no brake usage. In Fiat Punto petrol I manage to get 4.5 l/100 km (52 MPG) indicated just to compare what type of driving we are talking about.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So it seems the weight of the oil has little to do with fuel economy. The improvement more likely came from 1. the car was still breaking in, 2. your skill was improving, 3. your driving condition or habit was changing. By the way a change of 5% can easily be achieved or affected by a small change in temperature, the wetness of the road surface, or the use of A/C.

hybridbear likes this.
  4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought used car (1 year old) with only 2500 miles, the oil was changed with my purchase. I know all about the weather conditions, in winter I got only 40 MPG on one whole tank of gas I was comparing same weather and same route. There is a fuel consumption history in my signature. But I agree 5 % difference is not significant.

It's just bothering me that some of you can achieve 60+ MPG on a whole tank of gas, where I must really give it all, to even get close to that number with fully warmed car on a flat road doing 40 mph with pulse and glide (not using battery). That is why I would really love to see the data from this hypermiling drivers.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is starting to deviate from the original subject so I will be brief. I think the car definitely wasn't completely broken in at 2500 miles when you bought it. I have my mileage and some other data posted here:
    Keeping trip record for fun & early problem detection | PriusChat
    I switched from mixed highway and local routs to all local routs (speed limit between 25 and 40 MPH) at around 10K miles. There is a sticky thread here
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat
    that has a list of questions for people asking about fuel economy that you can use as a check list to see if there may be something about your car that affects the milage. Good luck! :)

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi GasperG,

According to Ian, there is an undocumented feature that you can use to reference other PIDs in the equation.

Forums — » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Guide for PID csv file?Torque

Vincent

7. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I understand he is saying that there WILL be functions, I think they are not implemented yet. There is also a problem that fuel flow, engine torque and rpm are not synchronized - there is delay.
    I tried to calculate data from track logs and there is no big difference between 1,500 rpm and 5,000 rpm, you can see all sort of thing from 240 to 270 g/kWh. There is evidence of big inefficiency during warm up (770 g/kWh) or going over 45 mph with very little gas (first half of HSI bar) 311 g/kWh:

Welcome to Google Docs

8. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Even if it is not implemented yet, we know it is possible, just give the developer some time.

OBD data are by serial communication, there will always be delay, more so if the number of PIDs you want to capture are a lot or the PID itself contains a lot of multi-frame msg.

There are 2 things that I can think of:

1) Since all data are serially transmitted, the results are only approximation, don't expect to be the same as those done by special equipments.
    [​IMG]
    2) From what I understand of BSFC, you need to be WOT to get close to the number. Part throttle can affect BSFC by a lot! I suggest this article for your reading pleasure:

Brake Specific Fuel Consumption

Vincent

hybridbear likes this.
  9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius does WOT for you, acc pedal is driven by wire. The HSD maps throttle according to your need and will always go in best rpm range for your needed kW.

The only thing a Prius driver needs to know is at what kW (or rpm) is the best way to do a pulse. Here is another map:
    [​IMG]

It's similar to yours and suggests that for best efficiency pulse you need to use 18(12) kW to 30 kW from ICE. It would be fancy to have data real time in torque app I hope developers will make this work soon. All the formulas are on Wikipedia and fairly easy to calculate from ICE power (torque + rpm) and fuel consumption (fuel flow).

hybridbear likes this.
  10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I vaguely remember a peculiar comment in a paper by Toyota engineers stating something like this: the operating condition for optimal fuel efficiency (for the entire car) does not coincide with the operating condition for optimal engine efficiency (alone). For my gen 2 Prius I tried multiple trips pulsing at ~ 2000 RPM versus ~ 1600 RPM and haven't detected any definitive trend in the resulting MPG numbers, even though from the graph the engine (alone) is clearly more efficient at 2000 RPM than 1600 RPM.

11. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    That was what I 've read but after seeing the logged data, I've some doubt.

Here is the Throttle Position from my C:
    PriusC Throttle.JPG

Here is from Paja's Gen3:
    Gen3 Throttle (low RPM).JPG

Another one at higher RPM:
    Gen3 Throttle (high RPM).JPG

Vincent

12. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick side question...

The actual OBDII bluetooth device ran my battery down on my truck. Any worry about that happening in a Prius?

13. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What device do you have and how long are you letting your prius sit? I have a Kiwi and haven't had much problem with leaving it on overnight, although I try to turn it off or unplug it whenever I remember. My old car (a '98 Accord) never had a problem even letting it sit for 3 days with the Kiwi on.

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    No, the power to the dongle ( Bluetooth OBDII adapter) is being shut off at soon the vehicle is being turn off.

15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the cheap chinese device...the one you can get for like $20.

fwiw my truck can run accessories with the vehicle off and the Prius can't...not sure if that makes a difference

16. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My OBD device (the kiwi) lights up when plugged into the OBDII port (and if it's in the "on" position). No matter the power state of the vehicle (on, off, ready, accessory, etc) the device is always lit up, indicating that it's receiving power somehow. I'm not 100% sure, but I recall reading that the OBDII port protocol is such that you can always scan for codes regardless of power state of vehicle.

gamma742 likes this.
  17. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Have you measure the voltage of DLC3 pin 16 after shutting off? Pin 16 is always connected to the Aux. Battery so it does draw power even after vehicle is turned off. Pls see my reply in this post.

Vincent

18. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Not true, the ECUs must be power up (Ign-On or Ready) before you can scan for codes or communicate with it. In Accessory Mode or Off, most ECUs are switched off and some ECUs are in low power mode.

Vincent

19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    In Torque app it is a feature to set-up the BT device to low power mode when inactive. This, in fact will make the battery last charged much longer.

20. Alloosh

Alloosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to import the custom pids in torque , but when I go to the setting menu and select add predefined sets , it doesn't show the one for the Prius.

Is Torque pro required to add custom pid sets?

Thanks,