1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

genuine curiosity: why do all you like the Prius so much (i promise, not a troll thread.)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iraqiswhack, Nov 30, 2008.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm one of those you'll find in the right lane going the speed limit, too. I've always been a very conservative driver and after years of dire financial straits we were faced with a failing older Buick Rendezvous that needed to be replaced. My wife's family is in 7 states from coast to coast while mine is in 4. Our son, his wife and our only grandson as well as three of my wife's siblings in this state are 100-200 miles away. My wife works 40 miles from here and has to drive instead of take the Metrolink once or twice a week. Our two children left at home are teenagers, 5'8" and 5'9" tall. Voila! Economy car needed with room in the back seat for two adult sized passengers as well as cargo room for luggage for 4, holiday gifts, etc.

Limiting our selection to a used car that was going to be extremely dependable driving longer highway distances and deliver over 35 mpg, we found our Prius in June after looking at many used Hondas and Toyotas at various dealers. It's already allowing us to get out on the weekends for day trips and family visits that we would not be able to with a less economical, less dependable car.

To us, a car simply needs to be a dependable means to get from point A to Point B with a fair amount of comfort. To us it's not a fashion or ego type statement and we have never been in a position to sink money into our cars anyway. To those who do modify their rides (of any make or model) it's great and we love to stop and admire them whether they're sitting in a parking lot or on display at a local car show but doing that to our own rides is just not our thing.

So, you'll find us mostly in the right lane, cruising along near the speed limit, not getting speeding tickets and saving our money for what we feel are more important things.

ftl likes this.
  2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a follow-up note to the above post. This morning I took a run up to our son's place in California City to pick up some paperwork and visit our grandson at the same time. Went there using the 210-15-395-58 route up the Cajon Pass; came back the 14-5-210 route. Stayed to the right and kept to the speed limit (45, 55, 65, 70) all the way using a lot of cruise control and not using the a/c until after I had climbed the Cajon Pass. Right now the fuel economy screen for the round trip shows 275 miles at 52.4 mpg. Yep, dependable and economical is why I like our Prius.

It could look like a run of the mill economy car or it could look like a fluorescent yellow warthog for all I care as long as it delivers numbers like that...

3. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I admit I didn't read all the responses so maybe it's already been mentioned. The reason I bought my Prius is the solar roof option. What I enjoy about it, after 9 days of ownership, are the solar roof functionality and the challenge of obtaining a large number in the mpg column.