1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Genuine OEM air filter or not

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusgto, Aug 23, 2013.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went out of my way today to the dealer just to get a genuine OEM air filter for the 05 but after getting home and trying to install it I'm not so sure. My first question I asked was why was it not in a box but in plastic and the parts guy said they buy in bulk without the box. Then I asked was it genuine OEM and he said yes. The pleats look much thinner than OEM, the seal around the outside needs to stretch 3/8 of an inch to fit in the housing, the plastic is black not grey like OEM and it doesn't say made in Japan. I think they are selling bulk crap at dealer prices so tomorrow I'm going to take it back and bitch at them for awhile. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Even in bulk, I would imagine the plastic would have had a Toyota sticker with a part number on it.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If not posted by someone else, I'll count pleats on an OEM when I get home tomorrow.

4. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Fram that I wanted to replace with an OEM filter and the Fram appears to be a much better filter than this one. The OEM filter material looks to be thicker and closer together. The Fram seal also fits nicely without having to stretch it into the housing groove.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I buy the correct engine air filter which comes in the Toyota-branded box.

1. The filter fits nicely in the air cleaner housing without needing to stretch the seal at all.

2. The paper part of the filter is marked with the Toyota part number.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The following pictures should give you all the information you need to decide if the filter you bought was OEM. I would not pay attention to the color.

noname (1).jpeg noname (2).jpeg noname (3).jpeg noname (4).jpeg noname (5).jpeg noname.jpeg

7. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks SB, there's no way the filter I got from the dealer is genuine after looking at your pics. Looks like the same number of pleats but mine are not as thick as OEM. I'm going back to the dealer today after work to see what they say.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say you have a smoking gun if the plastic is not stamped "made in Japan" and the filter is not stamped with the Toyota part number.

9. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the parts guy at the dealer apologized to me and gave me the filter I paid for. Then when I asked him why they sell a substandard filters he said they put them in the used cars. I told him thanks for the warning about buying a used car from them and left.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps, although I suspect they use them in maintenance service too.

One more reason to DIY.

11. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you're right. This is the same dealer that put a new hybrid battery in the car so hopefully there's not a cheap aftermarket one available that they used.