1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Genuine Toyota Motor Oil vs Mobil 1

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If Exxon formulated Toyotas oil then the Mobile 1 Advance must be the same oil it states up to 2 % better economy?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...probably not...i'd be shocked if any lubes are made from California crude (La Brea tar pits stuff)

...I would read the labels on the bottles for ratings, but Toyota oil seems most excellent from the specs we have previously seen here...AFAIK nothing stops Toyota from having their own special sauce

RCO likes this.
  3. ponderosabob

ponderosabob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do yourself a favor and go down to your local dealership and drive a new Gen 4 prius.
    Bet you unload that Volt in a hurry.
    There has been a HUGE change from Gen 3 to Gen 4 in almost all areas.
    IMO nothing on the market both in EV's or Hybrids can compare to the technology in a Gen 4 prius.
    Wouldn't trade it for a Tesla.

orenji and Tande like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ I'm confused. Posting in wrong thread??

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    !
    (n)

6. wbeck

wbeck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V

7. wbeck

wbeck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was a little worried that I'd damage (over the life of the vehicle) my 2015 Prius if I used Mobil 1 0-20W synthetic instead of Toyota 0-20W synthetic. So I went to my local Toyota dealership (Toyota Service Gainesville | Milton Martin Toyota) and bought a case (12qt) of Toyota synthetic for $70. They gave me the wholesale price. It's normally $85/case.

I walked over to their Service Dept and asked their Prius technician and lead service manager which oil to use. They said I could use either oil for my Prius. In fact, the Service Manager said they use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in their vats, and it is delivered by a Mobil 1 truck. They use the Mobil 1 synthetic oil in their quick lube department and it's the SAME oil they've being putting in my 2015 Prius as part of the Toyota Care program. Mother****!!!

I'm not sure I'll buy the Toyota synthetic next time (12qts@$70). The equivalent amount of Mobil 1 is around $55 from Walmart.

#27 wbeck, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    RCO and William Redoubt like this.
  8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The thing is that you cannot even be sure they are using Mobil 1 in their vats, unless you see the delivery and the invoice. Stealerships lie all the time. That's why I do my own oil changes. Even if you need to hire a teen to do the work, you are better off doing it yourself. Nobody in the automotive business can be implicitly trusted.

Tande likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm doing my own changes with "vat" oil, purchased through my dealership. My invoice says it's Toyota 0W20 synthetic, and I believe they are straight shooters. I mean, they could shoot it into nice shiney 1 liter labeled bottles, add $1.41 per liter to the price, and I could leave those oil contaminated bottles at the recyclers. But I choose to take them at face value.

#29 Mendel Leisk, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I retract my prior statements in this thread. With all the oil burning reported by Gen 3 owners I switched over to using Mobil 1 0W-40 oil. I know it states 0W-20 in the manual and on the engine oil cap! But other Prius around the world are using thicker oil and it states it in their owners manual. So far my car runs great and no change in MPG.

krmcg and Montgomery like this.
  11. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    On the 5 year old bottle I have it says, meets requirements of API SN;ILSAC G5 and made in Sweden if that means anything. No mention of the A1/B1 standards.

wjtracy likes this.
  12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is important to stick with a brand when detergent additives are involved. That's why I use ONLY Mobil 1 in the engine, ONLY Toyota brand transmission fluid and ONLY Chevron gasoline in my car. Five quarts of Mobil 1 0w20 where I shop is $22 before tax. I also use Toyota brand oil filters.

13. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It was cheaper to get the oil from parts and pay for labor. Instead of $79.99 for the oil chainge with mobile 1 oil I got the genuine toyota oil and paid $40 in labor. $18 in oil. $58 instead of the $79.99

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. VIP_de_Big

VIP_de_Big New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You got 5qt of GTMO for just $18 ???