1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Genuine Toyota XM poor sound quality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Nov 5, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have not yet activated my system; I noticed the sound quality on the demo channel (channel 001) is quite "compressed."

To those of you who have the genunine Toyota XM kit, how is the quality on that channel relative to the others?

What I'm really trying to determine is if the XM protocol supports a lower modulation when the signal is weak, causing "digitally compressed" sound quality to be played.
    Basically, if my reception sucks, does it sound worse (more like a low bitrate MP3)? Or is it all or nothing?

Therefore, how does the sound quality on channel 001 compare to the other channels?

Nate

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm...I find it's more of an all or nothing thing. I can't remember, but it seems like channel 1 is just as good as the rest. Heck, activate it and see...if it still sucks check your connections and stuff. If it still sucks exchange the unit.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks Evan. So you would say that the sound quality on channel 001 is about the same on other stations? My 001 sucks! It's very electronic sounding, like when you overcompress an MP3.

If this isn't normal, then I don't know why. I'm trying to make sure that it isn't because the antenna is inside the spoiler. Is there any way to measure signal strength?

I'm waiting to activate XM to hear if the $60 per year deal can done on a new radio. Also, can it be done for more than just one year?

(Anybody know? Anybody?)

Nate

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

XM does offer multi-year pricing, but it'll be more than $60 a year.

They have a 2 year package for $215 ($1 off per month), and 3,4, and 5 year package - the 5 yr goes for $500, or $8.33/month. The sound quality may be like some of the traffic channels, highly compressed, but I'm not positive on that. If you could hook up a Skyfi to that antenna, you could get the signal strength screen with the 2 - 0 - 7 - XM button sequence, but otherwise I have no clue on the internal units for finding signal strength.

-m.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the info on the multi year package. I guess I'll just buy the 5-year and cancel if I get sick of it.

Maybe I'll try to find someone (maybe installers at circuit city?) who can hook up a skyfi to my internal spoiler antenna to measure signal strength.

So, rflagg, do you think your channel 001 sounds compressed compared to the others?

Nate

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nate,
    I have to tell you that I am a little suspicious that it may be your antenna location...I hope I'm wrong.

They recommend attaching the antenna to at least a 6 inch square of metal--presumably b/c it acts as sort of a 'dish' if you will to aid in reception (I honestly don't know if it's true). I wouldn't think the plastic would interfere, unless there's something metallic in the way.

Heck, just do the 1/2price thing for a year...$60, you can add the multi-year later when it expires. You can check the other channels yourself. I don't remember my channel 1 sounding compressed, but I also can't say I'm sure what you mean.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, so I can do the half price thing on a new subscription?

Nate

8. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    People, what did you expect? XM bitstream is 96K and 96K MP3 does sound compressed. Plus what kind of decoder and D/A converter do you expect to find in $100 tuner (yeah, Toyota sells it for $300, but it is the same thing as $59.95 PC XM)? Discrete high quality components? with Burr-Brown differential DAC? I am thinking more along the lines of cheapo operating amplifiers...

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  10. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It does sound horrible. In my previous car before Prius I had $4000 audio system which replaced 'premium Bose' junk. I had XM and mostly used it for finding new music. I never ever considered it for real music listening. I have XM PCR in office running via Tivoli radio. Sounds like low-tech computer sound. However, I consider it okay since again, I don't consider XM to be a source of high-quality music. It is better than hauling around a box of CDs and there only that much fits on an iPod. Plus, you already heard what is on your iPod, did you?

11. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And, btw, I am listening mostly for channel 53 (Fungus) as well :mrgreen: . My second choice is 110 and 113 Classical. Then XM Lab, Lucy and Fine Tuning.