1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get on Fuelly! Track your MPG's...support the community

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by NineScorpions, Mar 17, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haha, that's a nice contrast. A gas guzzler(Lincoln SUV) & a gas sipper(prius);).

1 person likes this.
  2. yueq

yueq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just signed up a couple weeks ago. Only 39 2012 Prii so far?

3. _tran

_tran New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just signed up to fuelly. I wish I'd known about it much sooner. I've had my 2012 Prius since the beginning of March and I have been trying to keep track of all my trips to the pump and how many miles I get from each fill-up, however without much success due to short term memory problem

4. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  5. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Add one here. Bought last Saturday. First fill up today.

6. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the LI Prius community. What main roads do you travel? I am on Sunrise Hwy and SSP mainly.

To all, when signing up for fuelly.com at least put the state you live in, if not the town. I am always frustrated when I see certain car's mpgs and can't tell where they are from.

Thanks!

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm North Shore. Make the trek from Nesconset/Smithtown to Great Neck (35 miles each way) 6 days a week. L.I.E or Northern, straight shot. Once I get my clean pass tags (expecting them this week) I'll be L.I.E. all the way. Can't wait to finally ride that HOV, my kids will appreciate me getting home sooner too. :D

8. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing I forgot to mention is that fuelly will not give you stats for your first tank of gas. That is because they feel that it is questionable whether the dealer filled up the tank all the way. Always fill to the first click for the best accuracy.

I go 35 mi from Medford to Bethpage. Yours is definitely a tougher commute especially west of Rte 135.

I am also getting my clean pass tags. It was a PITA because every time I called a recording came on to say to call back later or go online. But as you know, you have to call Albany to get them, not go online. Finally got through last Wednesday!

9. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just had my first fill up!! I updated my Fuelly account right at the pump. I logged 514 miles (my beginning miles was 1 as of 3/31/2012 when I bought my car) gas price was $3.92, and I filled up 9.86 gallons. I am surprised it clicked because when I got to the tank, my "cruising range" was showing only 7 miles remaining. I didn't expect the pump to click at only 9.86 gallons but I guess Toyota warns you you're running out of gas 2 gallons ahead of time.

Anyways, my first official Fuelly avg MPG is 52.1! :) My Prius actually told me I was only getting 51.1 mpg and I have never resetted my odometer or trips yet. So is it normal that my Prius is understated? I know it's not a lot of data to go on since it's only been one fillup, but was this unusual?

10. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I track my mileage on fuelly (Buster (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly) and the Gas Cubby app on my phone. I usually calculated the mileage on my Jeep, but never tracked it. The Prius is more fun to track ;-)

11. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @jsfabb, strangely enough, got my clean pass stickers today! What a relief. I got through last Thursday so you should have yours any day now, if not today.

12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an account on Fuelly ... BUT anyone knows how to account for the difference of the SUM of mileage per tank and what the odometer says ...

This is a real drawback .... I have over 35000 miles and about 32 mile btw the fuelly sum and the real odometer .... (75 fillup) no this is not the first tank.... issue

My own spreadsheet always compute the all time average by using the "current" odometer mile and adds up the tanks (not adding up the sub-distances). Anyone with little math can tell you the average error is 1/10 of a mile on each reading but it seems it does NOT average out .... but growing ...

Any suggestion?? Anyone noticed this ???

I zero out the Trip A ... for the tank...

My theory is that Trip A only turns at 12.59999 so I am throwing out 0.05 on average which correspond with the error .... :) so Fuelly is out of sync everytime I add a tank ....

13. AtoyotA

AtoyotA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Testing to see if my Fuelly banner comes through....

1 person likes this.
  14. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got mine and put them on this morning before I left for work. I know it's a holiday week and the traffic was lighter, but what a pleasure traveling into work today in the HOV lane. I will try it going home tonight. Let's see what next week brings when the traffic comes back full force!

15. AtoyotA

AtoyotA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure what you mean by "about 32 mile btw the fuelly sum and the real odometer".

Say your Trip A odometer reads 486.2 miles when you fill up and then you reset it to zero. The "actual" distance travelled for trip A might have been 486.20 or 486.21 or 486.22 or... 486.29. When you reset it to zero you have ignored that .00 or .01 or .02 ... miles travelled. Hence, on average, you are tossing out .045 miles each time you reset to zero. Over 75 fillups that would amount to only 3.4 miles. Presumably, the difference you are talking about is larger than this. However, you do say that "I am throwing out 0.05 on average which corresponds with the error".

16. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Testing!

1 person likes this.
  17. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the average IS 0.05 you need to use 0.0999999999 not 0.090 :) you can think of it better on a axis as the distance correspond the possible errors (basically a continum) with your example 486.20 all the way 486.299999999 the distance is 0.09999999999999 and half of that is actully 0.05

But on the other hand you right max additional error is 75x0.05 = 0.375 so much for my first quick theory

In that case the error comes from somewhere else ... I had similar issue to calibrate my ScanGauge .... buy the way ...

I checked my original spreadsheet which calculates trip's mpg full mpg and average mpg (calculates errors as well). I always write done the odometer and trip mileage .... (adding the trip gives more or less the same 32 so )

Either toyota's computer is doing something funny or reads/interprets the data differently for the two counter .... again I had similar issue with scangauge

18. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do I have to update my signature everytime I update Fuelly? I've already had my second fill-up and on my Fuelly profile it shows my current MPGs but my signature bar still shows "0.0"

19. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :DJust signed up. Glad to be part of it.

20. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two