1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get ready for $4 gasoline

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, May 7, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 7 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]437269[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I can't figure out. Most people here remember the gas shortages, gas lines, closed stations, and high prices of gas back in the '70's and early 80's during the Arab Oil Embargo (for the kids out there see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Oil_Embargo ). When that occurred, the prices of EVERYTHING skyrocketed, and the inflation rate zoomed up with it. That was when the price of gas zoomed up to over $0.55/gal! Now we have gas prices zooming up for little apparent reason, but consumer prices and inflation don't seem to be much affected... AND add to that the skyrocketing National Debt... gotta be some kind of government trick going on. Somehow he's maximizing oil profits without immediate damage to the country before leaving office. I guess he's smarter than I gave him credit for!

2. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 8 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]437517[/snapback]</div>
    Just think Daniel, we can be as smug as Darell! (Well, almost)

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

[attachmentid=7918][attachmentid=7919]I am ready also here is my gas alternative

Attached Files:

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ May 8 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]437640[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't signed off on that yet!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 7 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]437119[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that question cannot be answered since there is no functionally equivalent EV that you can buy. And there never have been any build in the same quantity. In the same quantity an EV would cost the same or LESS than the gasoline counterpart. And at that point the math gets really easy.

It isn't about the money for me. I paid extra to drive electric. I paid extra to make my own electricity. Surprisingly enough, I'm now driving for a hell of a lot less than anybody in a gas car. If we paid the price at the pump for what gas usage really costs us, the break-even point would be the day you start driving an EV. We have to get away from thinking that the price of gas is what we pay at the pump! It ain't so.

If I'm forced to make it about the money, how about this:
    My Rav4EV cost me about $30k. It is worth about $50k today on the open market (that's generous - they have sold from $40k-$67k in the past couple of years and mine has many improvements, and is in exceptional condition). So I've got money in the bank. To be generous once again, let's just say my Rav was free instead of a net GAIN of $20k. Now, I fuel it with electricity. If I were paying for that electricity, I'd be paying about 1.25c/mile (compare that to 7c/mile in the Prius assuming 50mpg and gas at $3.50). But at this point, my electricity is free. So I'm driving a free car on free fuel. I also do not pay for oil changes or tune-ups. How's that working out for the Prius? In my case, not as well. Turns out the car has depreciated a bit, and the price of gas has gone up. And I still have to change the oil.

There is no rational way to make it "about the money" so I rarely try. People just end up hating me more.

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wakdos @ May 7 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]437153[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, in the US 'burbs walking is taken as a sign of distress (if you're dressed well) or poverty (if you're not). Unless you are clearly power-walking for exercise, that's acceptable. But for a middle-class person to walk, merely to run an errand, is a mark of eccentricity at best. Well, that's clearly an exaggeration, but not by much.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 8 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]437771[/snapback]</div>
    Since when did smugness require anyone's permission? Hummer drivers are just as smug in their fantasies of being able to ram other cars as Prius drivers are in their knowledge that they are burning half as much gas as drivers of conventional gas cars. And I'm going to be plenty smug when I start driving my Xebra.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 8 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]437814[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. You are hereby granted permission to feel just as smug as Hummer drivers. :D

Heck, if you guys end up replacing as many gas miles as I think you are - you'll likely be at the pinnacle of smugness. Took less energy to make the Xebra than it took to make the Rav4EV, I'm sure.

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 8 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]437814[/snapback]</div>
    Even though you don't need it, you have my permission.

I'd be really tempted to get one myself, if it only had regenerative braking. Then, it might even be practical to drive it to and from Spokane. At least the trip in wouldn't use much gas. Oops. I mean electricity. On the back roads I wouldn't have to go over 45 mph.

Even at that, for driving just around Cheney, it would be much better than the Prius. After all, we use hydroelectric around here. However, eventually I may try to do a conversion, which would be a good compromise.

Dave M.