1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get those hatchets ready, cause I'm going way out on a limb here!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jan 14, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I"m looking for and would be so appreciative of

1. links to the best advise on how to do the oil change, included which oil to purchase, how to do it, which oil filter to purchase, and whatever else there is that I may need to know. I ask for links, because I know that this has been hammered to death, but my searches just haven't quite produced the best possible link.
    For example, to say that synthetic oil is the best is good, but what weight?

2. If you are actually in Santa Cruz, where the Prius rules, could you tell me if you have an alternative mechanic other than the actual dealer?

Now, before you blast me. I realize that I should have succeeded in finding the best info on this by searching, but I am not all sure that I did. I am just hoping that people that are not annoyed with this question, will supply links, and if they don't actually have said links, perhaps the actual ino?

If the question is horribly irritating to you, you could ignore it, right?

thanks for anythig that you can do, and bracing myself for the axe.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't feel bad about failed searches; the search feature on PC is spotty at best. There used to be a better one, but it fell victim to one of the hacks or reloads.

Tom

3. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 14 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]375679[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I really neeed that note of ecouragement!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    go to www.john1701a.com
    under the "prius info" heading, check out the oil change link.

john has a great how-to over on his site.

5. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 14 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]375686[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! that was fast! Thanks so much.

6. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 14 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]375687[/snapback]</div>
    By the way, the link really is comprehesive, beyond my wildest dreams. Thanks again.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 14 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]375678[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my cat woke me up at 11pm and I'm now wide awake. So I might as well burn off some of this energy.

As far as "weight" unless you live in an extreme climate, stick with 5W-30. I'm currently running Mobil 1 0W-20, but we get cold up here. In the past week have dropped to -36 C a few times, currently -30 C.

One thing I would suggest is staying away from whatever oil the dealer is using. I've covered this before, so here is the link

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14829

Wonderful crap oil that was, perhaps that is why Toyota had some sludging issues. I also believe the lack of a desiccant breather system on the tote bin contributed to the dirt and free moisture in the oil. I suggested a proper desiccant breather system which they could have had installed for under $100, but over a year later it still has a 180 degree bend open pipe.

8. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Thanks! The discussion of the lousy dealership oil was one of the things I wanted to reconnect with, but didn't pull up with my searches. Thanks for the other info too.

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oil: Costco 5-30W Mobil 1
    Oil Filter: Dealer OEM Filter or Pep Boys Purolator ($5.99 except when on sale)
    Filter wrench 3/8 socket driven, fits over filter end, $3.99 at Walmart
    Don't forget to check cabin and engine air filter.

You can't see the oil filter without jacking the car. Good luck.

10. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's another great tutorial from Tom Stangl, the vfaq man:

http://www.vfaq.net/mods/OilChange.html

Yes, you CAN see the oil filter without putting the car on ramps--it's a little tight, but that's how I do my changes (I've also got a small head, so YMMV). Of course, if it's on ramps you can also do the other inspections that are shown in the maintenance guide...

Also, I use the Toyota filters, since they are very good (and my dealer usually has them on sale). I have been told that the orange Fram filters are pretty bad