1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting 21mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by misterdean, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you said you got the car with a partly filled tank, you need to wait until you know how many miles were driven on a full tank of gas first before figuring out miles per gallon. So if you haven't filled up the tank yet, then you want to pay attention to the miles traveled between when you fill it up next and the time after that. Then divide by the number of gallons you got in the second fill-up to give you a usable number. Or if you don't want to do the math yourself but can save numbers, sign up for Fuelly. Enter in your odometer reading and gallons of gas purchased and they'll do the math for you. They also keep a running tally of your cumulative miles per gallon.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    signed up for fuelly

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, that is a bit clearer. It is not unusual to to get low readings initially but as the tank approaches empty (from Full), it will balance out to be a more reasonable average. As a new Prius driver, you still should be able to get 45 MPG to 47 MPG without trying. I've noticed that if I get a good reading initially, it carries on to be good, but if I get a bad initial reading, it can generally be quite hard to peg it back. YMMV. (Doubly hard if you have a lead-footed co-driver.)

As has been noted, you need to fill up to full first, then the next time you fill up you can start "doing the math".

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Also be aware that fueling nozzles at gas stations can have slightly different shutoffs so the true test of a car's MPG is over several tanks as one tank can be a short fill and the next a full fill and they balance out over time. I think I've varied 15MPG fill to fill but it always seems a unusually high MPG tank is followed by a low one but the long term average is remarkably consistent.

6. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    filled the tank, car started showing me 45mpg average. funny how that display/calculation works.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you enter the data on Fuely too?

8. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just looked at your Fuelly page. You got a complete 11.9 gallon fill of the tank? That's amazing! I typically fill my tank when there's one square left on the fuel gauge and the most I've got so far is just over 7 gallons, presumably due to the fuel bladder.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Link?

Or maybe I'm not seeing fuelly icon? I'm viewing on a phone just now.

11. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Being the first entry, all that 11.9 gallon entry is doing is indicating that on that date the tank was full and what the odometer read. The 11.9 gallons will only slightly affect the long term numbers putting the first entry that way.

Actual calculations will begin when the second entry is made and will calculate based on those gallon figures, not this first one.

13. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i did not keep track of how much gas i put in it. i just filled it up. i am currently on my last bar of gas. my mpg is 45 and miles traveled is 330. i have seen people posting pictures of 64mpg and 700 miles. kinda wondering how this is possible and what i can do to improve. also wondering how many miles i can travel after the gas light starts blinking.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have a rubber bladder inside your fuel tank. it affects how many gallons you can put in. don't travel any miles after the gas light starts blinking.

if you want to improve mpg's, learn how to hyper mile.

15. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i read the wiki about how to hyper mile. i didn't really discover anything that i don't already know. gentle on the gas, coast, tire pressure, heat and air, etc, etc. only two things caught my attention. iridium-tipped "performance" spark plugs and accelerate quickly. not sure how much difference those plugs can make. but i am super gentle with the pedal to the point where it's almost like a game how little can i press the pedal. my acceleration from a complete stop is rather slow but once i'm rolling i barely need to give it any gas to maintain speed. the amount of gas i give it is always the bare minimum but that bare minimum is consistent from complete stop to the 30-40 range. when the article was talking about accelerate quickly it made me wonder if giving it more gas to up to speed quicker so i can take my foot of the gas completely is more efficient that the slow but steady method. being gentle on the gas and accelerate quickly are very contradicting and i'm wondering which is more effective.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are threads here on accelerating inside the efficiency rpm curve of the engine. counterintuitively, easy on the gas wastes fuel.
    also, you should learn to pulse and glide. holding speed with the accelerator also wastes fuel, because again, the engine is not operating in the most efficient rpm range.

i think the oem plugs are iridium. how many miles on her, are you up to snuff on maintenance? is the 12 volt battery strong? could your hybrid battery use some reconditioning?

17. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what is the efficient rpm range? i thought you only use gas if you're heavy on the pedal or going over 40. clearly this isn't true so how do i know if i'm using gas?

112K, dealer did all the maintenance before i bought it. have not tested the 12v battery as i have not had any reason to. how do i know if the hybrid battery needs conditioning and how would i do that? the display shows it's always a bar or 2 below full charge.

#57 misterdean, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Model Years 2004-2009 are notorious for a fuel tank that will not fully refill, so driving range is shortened. Without keeping track of how much you put in, you simply can't tell if it is coming up just 1 gallon short, or 5 gallons short.
    Refill NOW! This era of Prius is notorious for lack of fuel margin at this point on the gauge. While many will go a long way after the final low fuel warning -- that last bar starts flashing -- a significant number will go dry almost immediately. A few even go dry with two bars showing. Don't assume you have any additional range until you test it, under conditions that won't be a serious inconvenience if it stalls for lack of fuel. And until you learn how to not drain/damage the traction battery or lock out the ignition and need a tow to service.
    45 is the EPA rating for our year, so that is normal. 64mpg and 700 miles is exceptional for your year, and requires both expertise and great conditions. Don't pay attention to what 2010+ models are getting, your car won't match them.
    You might get 100 miles. Or you might stall before that light even starts blinking, especially with the rubber fuel bladder in your model year. Get fuel NOW!!!!, put off any lower fuel experiments until you better understand this particular car, see above.

Before worrying about hypermiling, go through the list of common MPG issues here. Once this list is cleared, then go after the hypermiling.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat[/quote]

srellim234 and JC91006 like this.
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, in a Prius it is more efficient. As is Pulse and Glide, over standard ICE powered cars. To put some quantitive numbers around slow vs quick acceleration, aim to accelerate at the rate of 19 MPG down to 10 MPG (if required). A good way to get a feel for the acceleration to aim for is (if you have it), to use the cruise control to accelerate and observe (on the consumption screen) what instant MPG is when it accelerates from, say, 40 MPH to 60 MPH.
    The ICE is running.

#59 dolj, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  20. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    right, but the only time i know for sure the engine if off is when i come to a complete stop. is it always running otherwise? i thought these cars also drove on full electric under certain conditions and the engine only assists when needed.