1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a New Knee After Africa Trip

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jerrymildred, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope everything goes well for you, Jerry! So far, at 57, I’m still running on stock equipment. What an interesting decade I have ahead.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, sometimes I feel a little like these guys, but I actually should have a long way to go.

I'm actually more fit at 68 than I was in my 50s. But I do have some extra hardware in me here & there. :whistle:

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    70 is the new 50! :D

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Glad you got it scheduled! I had my knee scoped (repaired my miniscus) and the worst part was the physical terrorist afterwards. I never wanted to hit a girl but the spirit of slap was very near when she was hurting me!!

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Physical terrorist"? Is that autofill, or intentional?

I've never seen anyone refer to a physical therapist as a terrorist.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that's funny right there! Not while you're going through it but later, right? They do put the hurt on you, but it's like Monk used to say, "You'll thank me later." :D Actually, when they put a plate and nine screws in my wrist, that PT was downright funny. But it still hurt.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually pretty happy that many future mobility problems can be solved with fairly simple hardware replacements....but, yeah.

Physical Terrorists actually sums it up quite nicely.
    I'm putting that one in the back pocket for later use.....

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto! :LOL:

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jerry sounds like you know the drill. Good luck.

I had both my knees done I was bow legged and wore out both inside joints so both of mine were only uni-compartmental so no full knee. Easier rehab I think. I will never understand people who get both total knees done at the same time because there afraid they wont get the second one done which is really stupid. That's not home care your in rehab for quite a while. Must be horrible.

My knee's are going on 10 years old they feel perfect but its a little weird to kneel on them they feel very odd so I don't kneel anymore unless I have a good cushion. I take very good care of them.

Whenever I see a guy in his 40s 50s kneeling on concrete or a hard surface I always think you'll be sorry that just hammers the joint.
    cartilage and your out of warranty.

#29 edthefox5, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Elderly neighbor lady on my street who had back surgery and then complained all the time during home rehab how the PT was making her do all these exercises that are very painful and she wouldn't do it. She said I'm not taking pain pills! She told the PT she cant do it wont do it.
    Good luck there lol.

Year later now I see her trying to walk down the street in a walker completely bent over trying to walk.

My knee guy is really cool but told me pre surgery if you don't do all your therapy to the T you will right back on my table and you wont like the outcome!

He's got some horror stories. Its easy just take your pain pills right?

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My father-in-law had both done at once. It wasn't that he was afraid he wouldn't get the 2nd one done. It was just that he didn't want to go through two recoveries and both knees were equally bad. He put a good face on it, but I think he regretted it. Recovery and rehab were a bear!

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YES so scared of the pain. Afraid to take pain pills. Screw that take your pills.
    It’s not that bad it’s mostly uncomfortable for a while.

What’s the most painful thing is the first time after surgery going to the bathroom lol…..omg that is brutal.

They give you Dulcolax before the surgery now. If they don’t do that i highly recommend it.
    And then everyday post surgery take Benifiber every day as the pain pills really stop you up too. Nothing moves around like it used to at our age.

Good luck my friend your a gamer you’ll do fine!

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  13. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Sorry if I may have sounded anti-PT....I'm all for it! Just remember when the knee heals it wants to stiffen up but you have to keep moving the knee and break the stuff the body is trying to join together in the healing process and I remember a few SNAPS in there as it was moving around. (Didn't hurt all that much.) The pain was similar to what you feel playing basketball and the ball jams into a finger and the finger joint throbs for a few days. They gave me Vicodin for the pain but I've read too many horror stories about folks getting addicted so only took one when the pain was over an 8....didn't really take the pain away but made me happy so I didn't care...strange drug for sure!

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Step one is behind me. Spent a couple hours at the hospital for pre-op tests and orientation this afternoon. Next step is another pre-op Wednesday by my primary doctor. Then a class at the hospital next Friday. A week from Sunday is the COVID test. I'm still kind of stunned that I'm going to let someone use an air powered oscillating saw on my knee. LOL!

Also ordered a cold therapy machine for rehab. We used flexible ice packs for my wife. What a hassle that was. Then yesterday we found out how inexpensive these things are. Wish we'd bought it last year.

Want to know why it hurts afterward? Here's a video that's not for the squeamish. Not super gory, but different people react differently when the raw meat is human. :sick:

#34 jerrymildred, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "..stunned that I'm going to let someone use an air powered oscillating saw.."

Don't think about that part. Think about how much sympathy will get showered on you. Later, about much improved biomechanics.

Or mechanics, really polyethylene and cobalt steel.

Lay off those slasher videos.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm hearing that some hospital resources are spread thin lately. I hope they're able to hold the schedule for you. I really wouldn't want to hit bonus delays with a locked up knee.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to worry. I don't dwell on it. And having worked for a summer on the kill floor of what was at the time the world's largest beef packing plant, I'm fairly immune to getting grossed out. Especially since my job was one of the grossest. As for the sympathy, people have been really generous. Not in the "poor baby" way, but in the "If there's anything I can do," category.

So far, this hospital has been only lightly affected by the surge. They are far more concerned about post op infections like staph or MRSA. There are lots and lots of elderly in this part of the Tampa area and most have been vaccinated, so I don't think we're affected to the degree of some of the other metro areas.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear it for both our sakes. I'm due to be in Tampa early next month for work, and I'm kind of dreading it to be honest.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems like most people have the idea that, if there are not mask mandates, no one can wear a mask. We have no mandates, although some businesses require masks. Yet I see people with masks all over the place. If you feel like you should wear one, wear it. No one says you can't. With surgery coming up, I don't want to get sick right now, so I mask up in most places I go into now.

The news media wants you to be afraid. They like to show the big numbers of cases and fatalities but don't like to show them to scale. I just looked at the FL department of health website. This graphic helps with perspective. It shows data from Feb. 2020 through July 16,2021. Florida's population is currently estimated at 21,944,577. Just over 1 in 100 people have had COVID. Fewer than 2 in 1,000 people have died from it.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 11.25.00 AM.png

Notice that only 1.5% of cases were fatal. And over 80% of fatalities were among those 65 or older. Not to mention that with all the money the government was giving to hospitals for COVID, they were claiming that COVID killed patients just because they had it regardless of what really killed them. At least that's what a couple doctors told me personally. And now, with the vaccine, almost no one who's vaccinated dies from COVID. If you aren't vaccinated, well, I guess you take your chances. :)

The main thing to dread in Tampa is the drivers. It's rated among the most dangerous cities for driving in the country. Interstate 4 between Tampa and Orlando has been ranked as the most deadly highway in the U.S. :(

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ...and that's truthfully what I'm most worried about. Just an ordinary traffic accident or workplace injury occurring when it may be difficult to get emergency services or medical care.

I'm not immune to the media reports but hey, that's my industry. I have a pretty good idea of the space between reality and what comes out of the idiotbox.

Back to knees. What do they give you for dealing with security checkpoints and magnetometers? I assume there's a standard way to notify the screeners, just never paid attention to that myself.

external-content.duckduckgo-1.jpg

jerrymildred likes this.