1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a New Knee After Africa Trip

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jerrymildred, Jul 29, 2021.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You get a striker card.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That maybe tees up the question, what is Florida's ordinarily greatest mortality driver, and how many in 1,000 die of that?

I don't know the answer and haven't looked, so I'm not being coy; genuinely wondering.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everybody I know with non-OEM suspension parts just gets wanded.
    Something to think about if you fly during peak busy times, but not a big deal, especially in GODs waiting room. On presumes that they’re sorta used to it.

Jerry might be advised to hit the pause button on the the missionary gig for a few months while the knee heals though due to an increased risk of blood clots.

@Tampa drivers….BTDT.
    Ive seen worse….(Bastan, Nawlins, anywhere in Cali, etc…)

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. I've always kind of assumed that you had a similar skeptical view on the news media.

After surgery they are supposed to give me an implant card that will have my patient info and identify the implant. I have something similar for my coronary stents but have never needed it.

That really is a good question. You made me curious, so I looked it up. According to the FL department of health, heart disease was number one last year, killing 49,208 residents. Cancer was right behind at 45,723. It's weird, though, that COVID-19 shows in the chart I referenced earlier. But in the charts that rank deaths by cause, I can't find it as SARS, COVID, or Coronavirus. I think it's in the infectious diseases category listed as "other." The numbers look about right anyway.

For sure! No long trips in my near future.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    coronary stents @44

Not enough metal in them to trigger screening. Well maybe if you had 30:eek:

You kinda don't want somebody to get too frisky with chest compressions and collapse a stent. But if one needs chest compressions right now, perhaps that concern becomes secondary.

==
    I had the unusual experience of seeing Chinese family's grandma's bones after cremation. There were her 5 stents, looking very shiny. This is gratuitously off topic. @jerrymildred can strike back by telling us whether he did bolt gun (No Country for Old Men), exsanguination, or 'happy entrails'.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When one walks through whole-body magnetometer, part of signal comes from 3.5 to 4 grams of iron on board. For blood and other body functions. So sensitivity needs to be set to ignore that amount. Exsanguination not being an option.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So each of those two comes in as slightly over 2 in 1000: just barely over in the cancer case, not quite 2¼ in the heart case.

So COVID appears as a new bad hombre riding into town with a body count rivaling the top existing two. (With some imprecision reflecting it's been somewhat more than a year now.)

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, something like that. But when a surgeon tells me that if a decapitated person showed up in the ER and tested positive for COVID, the hospital would list COVID as the cause of death so they could get more money from the government, I know he's exaggerating. But I also know he's serious, so I take the numbers with a grain of salt. It is significant, but no one really knows the real numbers.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe a tighter way of saying "no one really knows the real numbers" is that the "real numbers" must lie between some lower and upper bound, and based on the information so far available, that range is maybe yea wide, and will probably get narrower over time as more new data becomes available and as older data can be reexamined.

So how wide must that uncertainty interval be at this point? How big an effect is inflating the numbers "to get more money from the government" likely to be? Some of the currently available data, like conference rooms converted to ICUs, field hospital tents, and 150-mile airlifts to find available beds, seem to imply a limit on just how inflated the numbers can be.

While "more money from the government" probably counts as an incentive for misreporting things, some years ago I was roped into the investigation of a researcher at $work when the government funding agency got a whiff of that in his work. I would say his experience probably counts as a disincentive.

Trollbait and jerrymildred like this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One more thing to do before my knee replacement. So far, I got the all clear from my cardiologist and from my primary care doc. Also went through the hospital pre-op testing. Today was the mandatory class for orthobedic surgery patients. (One of the fastest hour and a half periods I've ever experienced. The teacher was GREAT.) Sunday is the COVID test. Wednesday will be show time.

The PT who did the class had my wife and me to himself. We were the only ones in class. So it was custom for us. He remembered her from when she got her knee done last November.

I learned some neat stuff about the doctor. First, he doesn't rush you out the door. If my operation is early enough, I'll be up on my feet by the end of the day. Next day is more PT. He uses a foley catheter which doesn't sound fun, but at least you're out when they put it in. You can't go home till that's out. He also uses a femoral block that's in a bag that keeps the knee numb until two days after surgery. You have to stay in the hospital till that's out. That gives me a couple days to start healing before the pain sets in.

By the way, this PT is very familiar with the term mentioned earlier in this thread about "physical terrorist." He said it's a great description. :LOL:

Oh, one more thing. I started wondering about the chilling machine they use in the hospital for "icing" the knee. We figured they were crazy money, but maybe we could rent one so my wife wouldn't need to keep bringing ice packs and I wouldn't have to keep getting them in the right position. Turns out, they aren't that expensive at all. Now I wish we'd had one for her knee. I chose this one because of the timer and the size of the pad. I tested it and it's great.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it turns out that I don't need the COVID test after all. When they scheduled the test, they didn't know that I was vaccinated. Vaccinated people are exempt. So, now it's just a matter of waiting and doing the rehab exercises now, so I know the routing when I get back home with my new bionic knee.

12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I double-checked with the hospital this afternoon. No delays anticipated. All medical files and reports in order. Less than an hour later they sent me the QR code for checking in.

When I got home from Africa, the knee only hurt when it locked or on other rare, random occasions. Now it hurts most of the time. (But not like it will in a few days. LOL!) I'm surprised at how quickly it's degrading once it reared its ugly head. I'm ready to get this thing over with.

Tomorrow is a stay at home day. I want to mow the yard, wash & wax Mildred's car, and maybe do a little sidewalk pressure washing. Things I won't get to do for a while again.

13. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good luck. Go get 'em.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jerry good wishes

I've thought about vitrectomy for floaters and also now have cataract developing one eye, first time last week the eye Dr pointed it out to me my left eye is seeing less clearly now.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had both eyes done 5 years ago with multifocal lens implants. Very happy with the results.

wjtracy and jerrymildred like this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Use a Sharpie (TM) to write "this one" and "not this one" on your knees. You will be unavailable for comment when staff are taking aim.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I alsso have several floaters. Sometime it looks like a bird or bug is headed toward me from the upper right. But the Dr. isn't concerned yet. Just watching.

This hospital actually does that while you're getting ready and before they dope you up. On my wife, they wrote "this one" (or something close to that) on the bad knee and "NO!" on the good knee.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Vitrectomy won’t help with floaters, you have to have a detachment, I hope you never do, it still doesn’t fix the floaters.
    When the cataract gets bad enough, you’ll be telling your doctor

jerrymildred and Merkey like this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just keep me out of reach of people who could be vaccinated but aren't and are now choking the hospitals. They just canceled the operation the day after they assured me that they were a go for all this week. Worked my butt off to get two months ahead so I could do this. Tomorrow I get to go back to work and see what I can find to do.

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't look at me pal.
    Got both shots documented.

Besides.....how fast can you chase me on one good leg?? :p

Sorry.
    Hope the numbers drop off soon and you get resched'd.

jerrymildred likes this.