1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a P0ADC-226 | c1310 | c1259 After installing new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mavi, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Pulled these via techstream:
    P0ADC-226
    c1310 subcode 156
    c1259

I'm getting this error codes at random, not touching any of my battery componenets. I installed a new battery with new modules, and get this error at random with a red triangle when the code is active. Sometimes the car will have a red triangle and will have a start, other times it won't. Any ideas? If it was the service plug it would not work on and off, if it was the cabling to the battery it would also either work or not work.

I checked the harness itself and it looks fine.. will probably replace the harness connected to the disconnect next to see if that helps, but anyone deal with this before? thanks

This is how I tucked in the wires, as that's how the new batteries are supposed to be done.

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What torque did you use for the nuts? What is the pack voltage?

3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The packs voltage varies when the car is on due to state of charge at 230-260 (when braking). I torqed the nuts probably.. reopened them just to double check and retighten, maybe even too much. I can drive it when it lets me for as long as i want not in limp mode, but when it doesn't let me it just won't start.

4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you change the ECU?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doesn't look like you've bolted this down to the car body.

I hated how these wires didn't fit like OEM, only bad thing about this kit. Also tightening the wires to spec was hard to do, the wires would shift as you tighten

Also you must wear protective gloves while assembling this kit, the bus bars are exposed and if you touch the wrong ones, you'll get a very nice high voltage shock

#5 JC91006, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That picture was before bolting it down to the cars body lol. No bolt was left unbolted.. trust me on that. and I learned that the hard way and got shocked on the non glove hand , ended up melting the terminal off one and had to have another purchase and sent to me..

Luckily I'm alright, car is now in battery and need to figure out if I broke something here.

7. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    No I did not change the ECU. Could it be that? When i clear codes with techstream, it lets me turn it on and drive it no problem, but the next time I try to turn it off it doesn't let me do so easily, and with a red triangle if it starts.

I can still easily get it to start by using techstream each time, if it's a relay/ecu would that be why?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a very dangerous kit for an amateur to assemble, the bus bars being exposed and you have to squeeze those modules together, easily touching the exposed bus bars.

Melting the terminal is pretty bad, did you connect something incorrectly?

9. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Busbar - 7-2 and 7-3 = woopsie. Yea I fumbled the bus bar accidentally and they touched, got stuck on one of the threads, and it stopped within a few seconds after the terminal melted unlinking the busbar lol. I'm just happy I'm still alive, and all is well. I use gloves now for all electrical stuff.

Note: I've assembled and disassembled around 7 prius battery packs without any issue, but with this first one I messed up.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Although you've done multiple packs, this is probably your first non oem kit?

Safety was never engineered when designing these kits so you really have to be extra careful so you don't kill yourself in saving $1000

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    yes it was my first non oem kit. So i recorded the clicks the car is making when it sucessfully turns on. Most of the time its normal but there is a few start ups where it buzzes like mad before getting 'ready'. Is this a relay issue, wiring, or something else? any ideas. listen to the first and third sequence to heard the odd noise.
    Link to audio

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not familiar with that noise. Sounds like there's power going to the relays. Did you check the voltage on the battery?

13. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    After opening the battery case up, I was pleased to find a connector between the relays was only half plugged in somehow. Popped it in, and of course the code went away.. so if you ever get this code.. check for the obvious first before changing things out, and you may have a functional system.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of curiosity, did anybody ever look up what P0ADC-226 meant?

-Chap

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Often people think I'm being condescending when I tell them to check the connectors, as well as recheck the tightness of each connection with an inch-pound torque wrench.

But I really only mention this because it is a *very common mistake*.
    We've all made the mistake at least once.
    It's easy thing to do to go back and double check.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    According to the Repair Manual, the detection condition is just about what @Mavi found: “Open or +B short in No. 2 system main relay circuit; Primary circuit of SMR (+) is malfunctioning.”

17. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yea, I went last time and hand tightened each bolt before posting on here trying to figure it out, thankfully it was a simple connector as I imagine for most people it is.

18. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So after driving sucessfully for a week, i'm still getting some unwanted differences in voltage.Note Stick 11 was changed out with another from the dealer.

Charts from Dr. Prius: I'm also worried about internal resistance.

I'm going to open and retorque the nuts, what is the correct torque? Anyone think that'll help? Also can I use a hobby charger to charge just module 11 to match the starting voltage of the others as it was lower voltage when i put it in (due to me melting the original module terminal due to being an idiot and getting a replacement sent to me.)
    JC91006: any ideas?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the new battery kit? If yes, torque the nuts again

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle: