1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a Prius III this weekend. Can you tell me what is a good out-the-door price in So Cal?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by fujiapplegirl, Oct 27, 2010.

1. fujiapplegirl

fujiapplegirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting a Prius III this weekend. Can you tell me what is a price in So Cal?

Hello, I am planning to get a Prius III this weekend and I'd like to know what is a good price so I can negotiate with the dealers efficiently. I would like to get a no interest/low interest lease. I am located in Southern California. I would appreciate the help so much!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :welcome::welcome::welcome: You need to talk to Dianne! For a III you can probably get $1500-3000 off MSRP.

<------ GREATEST.EVER.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dianne please advise.

4. fujiapplegirl

fujiapplegirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check out Diane. Can someone please tell me what is good price? I plan on going to a couple of dealerships... Would like to know what's a good starting point for negotiation!

5. lastmiracle

lastmiracle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Getting a Prius III this weekend. Can you tell me what is a price in So Cal?

You're in luck because I just got my Prius this past weekend AND I am from So Cal, though I didn't go with the leasing option. It's a Prius III base model without any additional option packages. My fiance and I asked for quotes from several internet sale managers for one whole week (most of whom were a bit annoying to deal with -- but that's another story) and the best offer we got was $25,500 OTD, after our high Los Angeles tax of 9.75% and other fees. I opted for the 1.9% APR for 5 years and bought gap insurance so that added a bit.

6. fujiapplegirl

fujiapplegirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Getting a Prius III this weekend. Can you tell me what is a price in So Cal?

may I ask which dealer did you get it from? If the OTD price was $25500 was the sticker price around $23000?

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey fuji girl,

I know this may sound lame but check your newspaper ads in the Car section if you haven't already. There might be ads for the Prius from a dealer or two, which would be a great place to start. I know there are for our newspapers up north and my jaw always drops seeing $xxxx.xx off, leaving me semi-wishing I had an excuse to buy another.

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My "cash out the door pricing" varies with several factors.

If you use special TFS rates.
    If you have white pearl paint
    Exact options on the specific car.
    The county/specific city you register the car to. (tax rates vary ... even in LA county)

My pricing doesn't vary because you lease or buy EXCEPT thru Nov 1st when you use the special TFS rates.

Just because you see an out the door figure someone's posted doesn't mean you will get it. You can do better or worse depending on the factors about, and trade ins figure in as well.

Sorry I can't give you a canned answer... because there is none till I know the specifics.

Dianne

9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    oops double posted

10. lastmiracle

lastmiracle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Wondries Toyota in Alhambra. If you go, ask for Jerry, he's the internet manager from the Scion department but he takes care of the Toyotas, too. He's a very straightforward and friendly guy. He sold 2 cars to my family on the same day! (I referred my sister to him right after I got my Prius)

And yep, it was just below $23000 before tax =)

11. lastmiracle

lastmiracle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Double posting.. but I found that someone paid even lower ($22,088) for a III with navigation! Here's the post:

hxxp://priuschat.com/forums/dealers-pricing/85993-actual-dealer-cost.html#post1201373

I'm a bit sad now =P

12. fujiapplegirl

fujiapplegirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Wow, that sounds like an insanely good deal. AND it's the pearl color which is an additional $220 or so. Isn't navigation an extra thousand or so??!

13. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The III with Nav has a $25101 dealer cost. I surely doubt a dealership would lose $3,000 a car every time they roll one. Not without a way to recoup most of that, either thru trade undervaluation or some other plan.
    If indeed that store is actually doing $22K before tax and title, I'd like to see contracts. Proof. And, a contract without a trade in. For obvious reasons. (and a contract that wasn't during cash for clunkers time frame)

Even last month (Sept) when there was a $750 dealer cash for those who did not use the TFS subvented rates, that still would have been a $2250 loss IF someone paid 22K. While it depends on the region, and the terms of that contract, it would be good to see a scan of the contract. As proof. And then check the incentives to the dealer in that region in that time frame.

Anyone can say ANYTHING on the internet these days and the herd chases and follows w/ no regard to proof. It's insanity!

Dianne

14. PeteJE

PeteJE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Somewhere real close to 23K (exclusive of tax / registration) is pretty good on a III base (non nav) - All my internet dept. quotes on that a few weeks ago were right at 23,900 area and a great dealer from this site beat it by ~500. Below 23K I have seen reported and that is a great number if found, IMO.

We really are in the days of talking 100s of dollars vs. getting taken for a 1000 or more too much. At that point, yes, we all want the best deal, but I, for one, do not begrudge the dealer making money - I don't expect anything at a no profit cost - is that really fair? We need money flowing in this economy, feel good your are going to be doing your part, LOL.

15. trifectayoubetcha

trifectayoubetcha New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For a 2010 Prius III without any accessories CABE Toyota in Long Beach, CA paid $21442.00

Yes that is right, the dealer paid $21442 for the car. Keep that in mind when negotiating.

Also the TrueCar program is not a good price. It is just a price that average people in your area are paying for the car. Each dealer associated with the True Car buying program pays a fee to Zag which is the parent company for true car. You are led to believe you are getting a good price, when really you are just paying the same or slightly below what other people are paying for the car. While I cannot say the True Car price is a bad price, you can definitely do better much better than the price you get from them.

16. trifectayoubetcha

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to Longo Toyota in El Monte and purchased a Prius III without any additional accessories/package for $24,777 out the door. The price included CA taxes which is 9.75%, License, Registration and Dealer Doc Fees.

Car: $22,200.35
    Document Preparation Fee: $55.00
    Sales Tax: $2,169.90
    License Fee: $256
    California Tire Fee: $8.75

Total Out the Door $24,777 for Winter Grey Prius III. The car came with the carpet floor mats & cargo mat, door edge guard, and rear bumper applique. Every Prius at Longo Toyota comes with those accessories.

I still think I paid too much. Was $24,777 out the door a fair price, a good price, or just an okay price? Sales tax in Los Angeles CA is extremely high @ 9.75% I should have went to Oregon and bought it!

How much money did Longo Toyota make on the deal Dianne???

17. trifectayoubetcha

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wanted a Prius IV, but a Prius III was a much better buy. I went to to Cabe Toyota in Long Beach and after the lowest they would go was $25,150 out the door. I went to Carson Toyota (I would not recommend these pushy salesmen at all!!!) They were willing to do $25,000 out the door. I finally went to Longo and got it done. Longo Toyota has every single color and every single option/accessory/package IN STOCK!!!

18. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But Truecar also has a best deal price- click on that and it gives you the 3 best deals in your area. The prices look great on there and its a no negotiating sort of thing.- the price they quote is the price out the door. I have yet to buy my car- but it seems like that's how it works

19. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not sure how this compares to california, but here in high tax illinois, cook county, i have two dealers giving me a price before our wonderful 10% tax at $21,500 for a 2010, version III, no other stuff added and just add tax and title. but have to admit i would trade some of that for your higher battery warranty. good luck and let us know what you get and how much.

20. fujiapplegirl

fujiapplegirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wow, I suck! I bought the EXACT same car and the EXACT same dealership three days ago. Except I paid $25,500 out the door. I bought it from my dad's "friend" too! Ha, I guess there are no car salesmen friends. I wish I had seen your post before I bought mine. I needed to know what was the lowest dealers are willing to go, and I thought $22800 (what I paid) was near the bottom.

Lemme guess, you got 0% financing as well?