1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Blocked by ICE's (Internal combustion engines)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EyePrime, Apr 8, 2018.

1. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ummmm etcetera im sorry

Just fixed it

#21 EyePrime, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those (Sam Spade? ) make it on my ignore list. ;) That has lowered my blood pressure considerably.

I thought it was perhaps an acronym I was unfamiliar with.

#22 Prodigyplace, Apr 9, 2018
  3. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    lol

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not even think of the confusion. I was confused initially by the "province" correction.
    Just like Americans, I am easily confused. ;(

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This list is amazing and should pretty much be posted anywhere there are public charging spots. :)

FWIW we never ever charge our PiP when there are half or less of the total EV charging stalls available. And if there is just one somewhere I won't even charge our Leaf if we have enough to get home. I would just hate to be the reason that another shorter range EV has to wait a long time to get home.

#25 markabele, Apr 9, 2018
    Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am sure Prodigyplace meant to say "I thought perchance it was an acronym with which I was unfamiliar."

(Normally I would not make this kind of comment. However, in support of the camaraderie of the group, I felt it appropriate to contribute to the pedantic posts in this thread.)

shakespeare.jpg

#26 Old Bear, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As the plug in population grows, there will be less available free chargers to go around. So you will end up free charging disappearing, or PHEVs being banned because they don't need a charger to get home.

markabele and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are getting too cynical in your old age Bisco :p

We had a chronic ICE issue at a local mall.
    The mall has an employee out in the lot making sure that cars that aren’t charging, don’t park there.
    They also improved the labeling of the spots.

The employee is likely a temporary step while shoppers get used to the new rules.

pilotgrrl, HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, i'm only familiar with massachusetts. apparently, you're way more progressive there in minny soder. no one here cares, at least at the charging stations i've seen.

also, i don't buy the bev's have a right to charge over phev's. the sign says ev, they are all ev's.

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----

Is this is the charging location at 2685 Iris St, Ottawa, ON K2C 3S4, Canada ?
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what provincial or federal rules apply for you. This may just be a polite IKEA made sign and may not be enforceable by local police. Doubt IKEA would give any plug-in a hard time.

Looks like they have hybrid specific spots being blocked by EVs:eek: (and not sure what that other older car is):
    [​IMG]

I rarely see non-plug ins blocking (PH)EV charging sites. More often have seen another plug-in who takes the spot for parking location convenience but never charges.

I have seen many setups were there are two parking spots per one charging station with one charging cable. As mentioned, this can be helpful if the other car is done charging and an adjacent vehicle can then make use of it.

PlugShare is reporting the aforementioned (pictured) units are free. In my region, charging stations are mostly limited not by being ICE'd or blocked by non charging plug-ins, but rather by squatters who go for the free electricity. That problem invariably goes away when reasonable charging fees are applied.

11. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My local medical center / hospital has even stranger parking signage.

There are four EVSE spots with signage that indicate they are for electric vehicles while charging. No problem, or confusion.

Across from these four EV spots there are 5-6 spots marked “fuel efficient vehicles”. Needless to say, the signage is confusing and ignored for the most part.

HPrimeAdvanced and fotomoto like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are there charge cables at those, or it's just preferred parking for the chosen, lol?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  13. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is exactly it! Yha me either I saw IKEA helping an old Prius plug-in trying to charge at the level 3 charger LOL

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if there's a legal definition as yet. I think there should be. There's a gulf of difference between a plug-in and a pure electric vehicle. One has a gas engine, and can get you anywhere without plugging in, no problem, apart from a little ego bruising when your mpg drops. The pure electric vehicle on the other hand, with no engine, is a lot more in need of these gratis stations.

markabele likes this.
  15. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No cables. Someone driving a Ford F-150 pickup with a Diesel engine might consider themselves more efficient than a F-350. Strange.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    These parking spots are common in California:
    Parking_Lot_for_clean_air_vehicle.jpg
    When near entrances, they usual fill at the same rate as other parking spaces with non-hybrids and non-plug-ins.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the business supplying the charging stations doesn't care, why would the government? if there were public stations, could see some codes and enforcement, and wouldn't have a problem.

imagine if we were talking about free gas pumps?:p

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Coming from a two car family that includes a Leaf, I also don't buy the argument that BEVs should have a right to charge over PHEVs.

Between our Leaf and Plug-in Prius, I have charged at public stations dozens of times and often talk to others charging to learn about their experiences and charging habits.

So far, I have never met a BEV owner that was about to run out of charge. Like most metropolitan west coast areas, most charging stations can be found less than a few miles apart from another. If a free spot is occupied, it is essentially guaranteed that a pay spot a couple miles away (or closer) is open. PlugShare is very useful here.

In these parts, charging stations with a fee are rarely 100% occupied, whereas free stations often are. It's hard to be sympathetic to a person who relies on free charging but can't be troubled to use a pay station a couple miles away. Still, I would be happy to move our BEV or PHEV if this situation were not the case. It just doesn't seem to play out in reality.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I shop at places offering free charging. It is a fair trade and none of anyone else’s business.

Bob Wilson

20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The facility gets LEED credits for putting those spaces in, and there actually is a list of allowed vehicles: https://greenercars.org/sites/default/files/LEED2018.xlsx

Given US pedestrian/cyclist/mass transit infrastructure, and how Americans expect to use cars, a couple miles away may as well be a couple hundred miles away, if you have to park a couple miles from your destination to use a pay charger.