1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Blocked by ICE's (Internal combustion engines)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EyePrime, Apr 8, 2018.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This was not asked of me before and does not have much to do with the quote “Agree with others, if you are trying to get 100% EV out of a PHEV, you bought the wrong car.”

Seems you may have attributed others' comments or some other impression onto something not claimed be me.

As to the question “ if one runs out of gas, they bought the wrong car?” No, not any more than if one ran out of electrons they bought the wrong BEV.

If one buys a gasoline vehicle that gets 200 miles range but needs 300, he bought the wrong car. If one buys a BEV and it gets 100 miles and he needs 200, he bought the wrong car...

HPrimeAdvanced, markabele and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting how many people get their wand in a knot over something that doesn't even affect them, and authorities choose to ignore. if you don't like it, do something about it, besides complaining here.

HPrimeAdvanced and bwilson4web like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or they are Bob Wilson:
    • ~35 times - 2003 Prius
    • ~10 times - 2010 Prius
    • ~5 times - 2014 BMW i3-REx, continued on BEV
    • 1 time - 2017 Prius Prime
    I consider every possible failure mode to be something to investigate and understand. The BMW motor mount bolt failure and rear tire sidewall puncture were unplanned.

Bob Wilson

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry, the "you bought the wrong car" is what triggered my question.

It's not range; whether it be gasoline or electrons. Folks in need are folks in need and they run out regardless of the vehicles' range. How many times do we see folks getting $5 or $10 worth of fuel hoping to make it to the next paycheck? How are those kinds of folks going to behave driving an EV years from now? I suspect many will be driving well used BEV's with very tired batteries. When will the first shooting at charger happen (if it hasn't already)? What about the next big gasoline price spike making charging a PHEV a no-brainer? Going to be interesting.

HPrimeAdvanced and Trollbait like this.
  5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob for President, YEAH!!

Once again, a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) is about choice. For me and my lifestyle, I like the ability to choose whether I'm going to use electricity or gasoline. Having experienced the gas lines of the 70s, this flexibility of choice gives me great security. Filling up with low-priced gasoline in my area, wastes between 20 and 40 minutes of my time, due to crowding at low priced stations. The "blocking" that can occur at charging stations (including user abuse, or inoperative stations, etc.), is offset by the ability to use the alternative, gasoline. Again, my PHEV saves the day, and I'm less stressed.
    The obsessive game I play trying to run my PHEV strictly on electricity, 4700 miles or 4 months, would not be possible if I were working full-time. The amount of time I waste to plan my routes and find charging stations would not be possible if I were working full-time. I do this to successfully prove to myself that I've chosen the right vehicle for my highly variable driving habits.
    Of course the range of the gasoline engine in my Prime is wonderful as it keeps me away from gas stations for a much longer period of time. I love my PHEV Prime because it gives me choice!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

#85 HPrimeAdvanced, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
    benagi and fotomoto like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every time we go to Costco, their gas station has lines spilling out into the street. Their prices are maybe a nickel less per liter? I've never bothered to compare.

Whenever we get below half-full (typically about once a month) I'll roll into the next Chevron I encounter. I don't even look at the price. Maybe one time in ten I have to wait on someone ahead of me.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this statement shows exactly why you haven't chosen the right vehicle. If you can not use any gas over 4700 miles you clearly just need a BEV. Then you wouldn't have all those annoying fluid changes. A used Leaf would have saved you $20k and you could have had even more flexibility on your routes.
    I also understand that it has become like a game to you, hopefully not at the expense of those closest to you.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The game to locate and use charging stations wastes hours and hours in a single day. There is no way I would impose that lifestyle on myself for the duration of ownership of a BEV!! It proves my point: a BEV is totally impractical for my erratic driving style. Charging time and infrastructure make it unusable. Remember, I only have 1 car. I truly went to extremes to achieve 4700 miles of range on a single tank of gas and electric charging. This is totally unsustainable.

AChoiredTaste.com

bisco, Mendel Leisk and bwilson4web like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Before trading it in, I went 9,000 miles EV and 1,000 miles gas in my Volt strictly charging at home. The work-arounds for eliminating that 1,000 gas miles would have been a major PITA and expensive too. PHEV's are a great, goldilocks solution till other solutions become viable for the masses.

With continued EV incentives and low gas prices, it's very possible for the Prime to nearly equal (or better?) Prius sales this year or next.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are extrapolating a 30 mile range vehicle to being the same that you would have to go through with a 100 or 200 miles BEV?

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At my nearest Costco today, their price is currently US$0.34/gal lower than the nearest other station, a long block away. This spread is lower than the normal 0.40-0.50 difference, and is typical of times when prices are rising. Costco and the other low price places are quicker to reprice, causing reduced spreads when prices are rising, wider spreads when falling.

In your province of BC, where fuel price spreads are much flatter (i.e. I often see no spread at all in any given interior town), I usually see the Kamloops Costco at CAD$0.05/liter less than the going rate around town. Today, it is 0.06 lower.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes. My daily drive ranges from 60 to 350 miles.

AChoiredTaste.com

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    daily drive minus 4 months I guess?

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The rest of us try pretty hard to avoid this. But in the name of science and engineering, we thank Bob, who actually helps us avoid running out of gas or electrons by better understanding real range limits.

Same rules still apply. Currently the most financially disadvantaged drive old/used ICE vehicles because that is what they can best afford and just buying fuel can challenge their budget as you describe. But they do not bear the moral responsibility to drive the greenest vehicles out there because they cannot afford to do so. Still every year, more and affordable used PHEVs and hybrids come on the market. So they can still do quite a bit with limited resources if wanting to green their driving.

Not that irresponsible vehicle choice should matter to the rest of plugdom, but according to the AAA article I linked above, that BEV range thing is almost entirely a minor problem in theory that doesn’t pan out in reality:

In fact, a well-promoted program started several years ago by AAA to rescue stranded electric-car drivers who weren’t keeping track of their range and ran flat out has turned out to be very lonely—sub in, if you will images of a Maytag repairman, waiting by the phone.

There is almost certainly already an existing market for these low range vehicles as you describe. A used Leaf than only gets 30 miles of range that can be had “for a dime” may be a great vehicle for someone with a 5-20 mile round trip commute as a second car. They are still morally responsible not to attempt to shame others for them getting stranded by attempting to overextend their vehicle's abilities.

Not aware that this has been a problem. Enough vehicles out there long enough with poor EV ranges to have a good idea already.

15. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Although I suspect that the EV target audience and the, uh, violent gun owner target audience have been separated by economic barriers to EV ownership and political opposition to EV ownership.

HPrimeAdvanced and iplug like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    poor people who can't charge their bev because a phev is blocking the station. now i've heard everything.:rolleyes:

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah, it's like women complaining about leaving the toilet seat up. I never did get that. Don't they look before they sit down? :)

HPrimeAdvanced and fotomoto like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do find the discussion interesting that it became an EV vs. PHEV instead of the initial question which is a plug-in vehicle vs. a non-plug-in vehicle.

Honestly, the in-fighting doesn't help.

No (but only because I don't have a Prime yet) but I still see ICE vehicles parked in "Low Emission Vehicle" spots. In their defense, IKEA's signage has tiny writing that says "Hybrid, Electric,

19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How close are you to upgrading :whistle:?

I guess now since they are available above the 49th parallel it makes it easier (y).

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need a go fund me page for our last and hardest working moderator.(y)