1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting dissapointing fuel efficiency lately

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bandit, May 8, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its funny that one says drafting isnt effective unless you are going a minimum 74 mph. but in NASCAR Racing 2003, they say you must be going at least 140 mph.

the fact is, if you are following close enough and have proper air flow over your vehicle ( the Prius is near perfect for this) you will receive SOME benefit at relatively low speed.

however, drafting is stupid and dangerous. if you want to risk your car, go for it. i personally wouldnt consider it even if i get 10 more mpg doing it.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the spirit of KISS: To improve your Prius' fuel economy, don't speed, and try to coast as much as possible.

3. bandit

bandit New Member

Thanks for the tips. I live in Los Angeles where the weather is always moderately warm, so I doubt changing temperature is having an effect on my fuel efficiency. The past two weeks I have been trying to drive more economically and experienced only a very very slight increase in efficiency. (Before I changed my driving style I was getting about 37.8 MPG, now I am getting about 38.4 MPG)

But after reading the post about the engine oil level here, I decided to check for myself. I checked the engine oil level using the dipstick this morning, and what do you know, it is about 1 inch ABOVE the full mark on the dipstick. This is a problem, right? And it could have a drastic effect on my fuel efficiency, right?

Anyway, if the answer to the two questions above is yes, Toyota Santa Monica is going to be hearing a few words from me and I plan to bring my car to Carson Toyota next week to get it serviced.

While I don't expect my MPG to increase to above, say, 52 (because of the places I drive... a lot of hilly and freeway driving), I hope it will increase to at least the mid 40s after remedying this oil level issue.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow an inch??

you should see at least 4-5 mpg improvement. but hard to say really. i dont have data to back that up other than what ive heard. overfilling is easy to do but rarely done in my experience.