1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Flipped Off Is A Badge of Honor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusMPGenius, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just driving slower than traffic wouldn't be hyper miling in my book. What've done is removed everything in the back including seats & bench but kept spare tire & jack accessories, removed windshield wipers, all tires at 44psi. RMB lowered his prius at the last meet up and now I'm thinking about lowering mine also so hopefully lowering car will soon be on the list.

RMB likes this.
  2. PriusMPGenius

PriusMPGenius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a few relatives that drive in the high 80's to 90's and I refuse to drive with them. It's unreasonably fast and dangerous. We were late to a Red Sox game and we were going about 90mph down the highway to get there. Not wroth it.

Data Daedalus, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was driving on 87 Kingston to Saugerties. Was going 67mph. Saw a Yukon doing a bunch of aggressive maneuvers tailgaiting and cutting people off to try to get ahead. By the time I got to the Saugerties exit he was only 70 yards ahead of me. Just have to chuckle at these people.

On the way back saw a lady in a small pick up truck going about 58mph (dangerously slow) and texting while driving. I almost got on the phone and tried to report this idiot but my exit was a mile away. Stay safe people.

bisco likes this.
  4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If that's your takeaway from this thread, heaven help you!

5. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course I would never do that because I find that to be boorish behavior. Plus I don't mind waiting an extra minute because I'm sitting down in a comfortable seat, relaxing and enjoying good music like Eno, Bowie or Neu!.

6. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Drove through Michigan recently where the speed limit is 75. Traveled at 82 in the fast lane to avoid the road bully pick-up trucks. 2014 Prius Performed exceptionally well and didn't receive any middle fingers. First time I felt it necessary to drive past the legal speed limit for my own safety though.

VFerdman likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It wasn't an option so you make all the traffic behind you crawl so you can get good mpgs. No wonder the Prius is the most hated car in America.

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How does riding the fast lane improve this? Why not at your chosen speed in the right lane, leaving the fast lane empty? Your logic escapes me.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    After BMWs, that is. ;):p

10. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's not the car that draws the hate, it's the driver.

11. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why is it that 'road-rage' (vs people who inspire it) is tending to become a never ending discussion? esp when the issue is moot. Most people here have gotten their points across to the nth order of overkill... ...factorial. ((overkill)˄n)!

12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's a big number, unless n=1.

ice9 likes this.
  13. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. Only if n=0. Overkill is already assumed to be a big number, so if n=1 then ((overkill)˄n)! would still be a big number. If n=0 then ((overkill)˄n)! would be 1.

Good catch anyhow!

14. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was thinking in units of overkill, not the relative bigness of the "overkill" value. I stand corrected.

15. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PriusMPGenius, All I can say is I am glad the worst thing that happened to you in that situation was getting flipped off. Hopefully it stays that way. Hopefully he doesn't know where you live. Hopefully he isn't waiting to find you again. Many of us here in Priuschat know that without a doubt, your situation could have come to a very violent end. And at that point, it really wouldn't matter to your love ones who provoked who. When your gone, your gone.

I completely understand your point. But, what you are missing is the guy flipped you off because he was mad. I have seen in the news in all areas of the world people getting shot and killed for similar reasons as yours. In the end, it doesn't matter why if the result puts you at such a risk you are know longer here to practice your conservation. You have clearly stated that you gave him a chance to pass. So, I am glad nothing worse has happened to you.

And, I really think, that if you read between the lines of all who have reponded to you...............we care about you!

16. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. 1 unit of overkill is relatively big... ...Now, on to other things. I'm in the middle of a climate change discussion right now, on another thread. I REALLY have to careful what I say there. Those can be explosive.

If I don't revert to "lurker mode" it may turn out to be a long night.

Update: Time to bug out. Overkill just got incremented while I was typing.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But far more frequently, killed in rage-induced crashes.

18. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sadly, sometimes it IS the car. Mention a Prius.....any Prius on some non-car related forums and watch people who have never driven one lose their minds!
    The hatred of course is largely misguided, fuelled by cringeworthy myths and unrealistic anecdotes which have absolutely no basis whatsoever.

Perplexingly, the Prius is often used to define the driver behind the wheel.....very often in the most negative way.

iPhone 6s +

19. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In many cases, this is because they have been driven stupidly in the past (as in the case of this OP), and the perception of Prius drivers persists. This is much the same as the "redneck pickup truck driver" perception - a small fraction of these fall into that category but throughout this forum pickup drivers are routinely bashed for the actions of a few.

20. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah..the coal rolling imbeciles don't help help the 'pickup truck redneck' stereotype either. I view it as the counterpoint to the 'slow Prius driver' stereotype.

#120 farmecologist, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    jb in NE and VFerdman like this.