1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting "Maintenance Required" on Display ... How to Read the Code?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RhettP, Jan 29, 2016.

1. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Getting "Maintenance Required" on Display ... How to Read the Code and diagnos? Is this just a oil change or what? I wish the technology car was more technical. Wish it would actually tell me what the prob was.

I have a 2012 Prius 3

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles since the last service? My Gen II reminds me when the next oil change is due (simple to reset, see p.365 Destruction Manual) - hope this helps - Wil

3. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure about the miles but its been about 7 months since I bought the car. So they basically want me to take it in for an oil change?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a standard reminder every 5000 miles. The dealer resets it when you bring it in for service. The Prius only requires an oil and filter change every other service visit. The other, in between visit, is for tire rotation, brake lining, and fluid checks.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As was pointed out, this reminder comes on every 5,000 miles since it was last reset. It does not throw any codes. It is simply a reminder to have your car serviced. If you cannot determine the previous service history, then best thing is to do a full oil and filter service now, which will be good for 10,000 miles assuming you use synthetic 0W-20 oil. Then it will be up to you to remember the next time the 5,000 mile reminder comes up it will only be the minor service, and alternate thereafter with the full oil service.