1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting ready for Thanksgiving weekend! Koni\eibach upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by zamboni2354, Nov 6, 2018.

1. zamboni2354

zamboni2354 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    150k miles on my 2011...thought I'd put new shocks and struts on since the dealership recommend it. If course since it's going to be apart I figured why not new coils.

Any tips\suggestions are welcome. I ordered new strut mounts with bearings and upper front spring insulators...what else? I will probably get the upper and lower insulator pieces for the rear coils and lower for the front.

The dealer suggested changing the spark plugs so I'll do that since I'll remove all the parts to access them when doing the struts.

Jeff in Long Beach. 1106181906.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Burna J, Xterra72 and PriusCamper like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you going to mount the springs onto the shocks yourself? Those home DIY tools to do it with are sketchy and you gotta make sure you do it right so you don't kill yourself. Or see if a shop will do it with their more heavy-duty safer tool?

3. zamboni2354

zamboni2354 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I'm planning on mounting the springs on the struts. If I don't like the way it's going I might make a jig for my hydraulic press or take it to a shop.. we'll see..lol.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The borrowed spring compressor I tried wasn't going to work. The best at what two parts stored offered. Ended up bringing them to the tire place. Charged me 100$ for 20 minutes of work but they said it was a hour.
    Rears probably easier and doable.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wholeheartedly support you spending way too much time making the most solid bomb-proof jig for your hydraulic press possible. The forces involved should never depend on a tiny little nut that might not hold....

6. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just go to hybridpit.

Great prices and a+++ service

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Flat Rate is what the "job" pays. If it is 1 hour labor, you get charged 1 hour. Whether it takes 20 minutes, or 2 hours.
    With experience, a tech can do the job quicker.
    For some customers, we just left the car for the time they were told because they cried, instead of being happy we
    fixed it faster. :)

ScottHz likes this.
  8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I put Konis and eibach on an audi a6, the eibach dropped the car over an inch, I'd make certain of how much they drop the car before buying shocks, if the shocks are meant for stock height and the car is dropped an inch, the shocks will be out of their comfort zone.
    The a6 was a pig but with the shocks and springs it was a gas, it would lean over a little then hook up and was on rails, but it was still a pig.

Flat rate.....took the wife's bmw x1 in for some work, the quote was 12.5 hours labor plus parts, an hour and three quarters later they gave it back and charged for 12.5 hours, it was all work that should have been completed after it ran over a tractor trailer wheel (75 mph, traffic all around, wheel was midair 2 seconds earlier) and paid for with insurance, but somehow was neglected, and when later discovered, was my dime, what a scam, got rid of that pig, bmw....22 mpg, new tires every 10,000 miles and unscrupulous dealers.

ScottHz, audiodave and zamboni2354 like this.
  9. zamboni2354

zamboni2354 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finished the upgrade today. It was dark by time I finished so I'll get after pics of the car tomorrow and post before and after shots. It went pretty straight forward. Changed the spark plugs while I had the access. Half the work was just removing all the parts to access the struts and shock towers! 1123181102.jpeg 1123181113.jpeg 1123181122.jpeg 1123181205.jpeg 1123181220.jpeg 1123181655c.jpeg 1123181705a.jpeg

ScottHz and audiodave like this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to replace just the cartridge, but it's so much easier and faster to replace the whole assembly.
    That way you get a new spring, bearing, bumper and cover.

ScottHz and PriusCamper like this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed... The prices on fully assembled ones on Ebay is only $100 a pair... Of course the OP is upgrading to a more expensive and possibly higher quality brand name so that option is probably not available.

ScottHz likes this.
  12. zamboni2354

zamboni2354 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's exactly what happened. I was going to get the kyb strut assemblies but then decided to get the Koni struts and decided to lower it with the Eibach springs.

ScottHz and PriusCamper like this.