1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting ready to do some fluid drains/fills

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by H00s13r, Sep 5, 2016.

1. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello;
    New to the forum. I own a 2010 Prius (original owner) with approx 104K miles. I am planning on doing the following using NAB's awesome youtube videos:

Engine coolant drain/fill
    Inverter cooland drain/fill
    ATF fluid drain/fill

I have watched the videos a few times, and two questions I have so far that weren't addressd in the videos:

1) Can the engine coolant drain be done without the car jacked up? If I can drain the radiator first without raising the car, I will do it first, then the ATF, then the inverter coolant. I no longer have the plastic bib installed on the underside of the car.

2) I am planning on jacking the front of the car and rear so that it will all be on jack stands and level like he does in the ATF video, but does the car need to be level for the coolant changes as well? If so then I will do them all at the same time.

Thanks

PS
    Once I get these fluids done, I will tackle the Spark plugs, then the throttle body cleaning and that pipe cleaning. Want to do the brake fluid flush, but have more questions on that one.

#1 H00s13r, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i'm not a diy'er, but i admire your skill and fortitude. all the best!(y)

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is best if car is level during all drain and refills in order to get proper fill levels. I put mine up on jack stands and then completed all drains and refills. Then I was able to complete everything either under the car or above as needed. It is also easier to catch all of the fluid drains with the car up on stands since this car has very little clearance underneath.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The engine coolant change I don't think you need to raise the car. With the Inverter coolant change you would need to raise it, and likely remove the engine undershield completely, to get decent access to the inverter coolant drain bolt, and likely make for a cleaner drain, avoid splashing. The only one you need the car to be raised and level for is the transaxle fluid change.

I can see the logic of combining services, especially when they involve raising the car the car and removing the engine undershield. The two I would do together is oil change and transaxle fluid change. With both it's a good idea to have the car warmed up. But with coolant changes you want the car cold, or well cooled down. Also, coolant changes are somewhat labour intensive, I'd be inclined to just take on one coolant change per day.

5. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks guys. Yeah I was hoping that I could do the engine coolant drain and fill with the car on the ground-that way I could get inside the car and put it in that maintence mode and bleed off the air without getting into the car while it is on the stands. Then once that was done, I could raise front and then back of car onto 4 stands so that it is level. Once done I would then go underneath and drain and fill the ATF fluid. Then once that is done I would drain the inverter coolant. Once finished I could then lower the car, fill up inverter with new fluid and then start and stop car to bleed out air from inverter like NAB's video shows. Figured that would be easiset and safest. Not a fan of getting into a car while it is on jacks or stands. Let me know if you think my process of doing all of this is okay. Plus my garage floor is level, and that is where I will doing all of this.

ML;
    I've plan on taking short drive (about 3.5 miles from my house) to my dealer to pick up all the fluids (ATF and coolant).and then when I get home give the car a couple of minutes to rest before starting. I figure that way the fluids will be warm not hot and flow very well.
    Thanks

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would never worry about coolant flowing well, lol. There's definite cautions to not drain coolant when it's hot. I'm sure you'll be fine with a short drive. The only time you need to raise the whole car is for the transaxle fluid, and front end only for the inverter coolant change is fine. Myself, I would just take on one of the coolant changes per day.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    THanks ML and for the included PDF's

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it was me I wouldn't bother jacking the car up on all 4 corners to make it level. Thats alot of work. Just measure exactly how much came out and replace it. Plus a little more. Just jack the front up as high as you can.

Replaced the fluid in my G2 3 times no issues.

And don't warm the car up. The bolts are going to be on there wicked tight warmer makes them much tighter. Only work on a cold car.
    The fluid is 10 weight it doesn't need to be warmed up to flow.

If me I wouldn't dump all the engine coolant. Modern cars are difficult to air bleed. Just dump the rad only. No airlock issues. Then go back and dump the rad again a month later. Thats more than half the fluid in the system. Works real good. there's no temp gauge in our cars you'll never know if you created an airlock and the engine is overheating. Use Toyota SLLC.

I would definitely take advantage of the front end being up in the air to address the ac system. You can clean the e-coil under the dash.
    Buy a can of cleaner that Comes with the rubber attachment that fits the condensate tube. Dealer parts or amazon that sells Kool It.
    Keeps the e-coil box clean of mold and the drip tube clear. Nothing worse than a clogged drip tube that dumps nasty condensate onto the floor. Car smells real nice after you clean the box. Dealer charges $125 for this srervice. If you smoke in the car don't bother.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As someone who will be undertaking all 3 of these fluid changes in 3 weekends, my plan was the following:

1) Park the car in the spot I plan to perform work (garage for me:)) the night prior.
    2) Jack rear of car up, then put dunnage under the wheels ( I have excess 4"x4" and 2"x6" pieces left over from the wife's garden boxes) that I have screwed together.
    3) Remove jack from rear then jack the front.
    4) Repeat the dunnage process for front wheels.
    5) Drain all fluids.
    6) Replace all drain plugs ( reinsert pet cock for engine coolant).
    7) Fill transmission fluid then reinstall fill plug.
    8) Lower car to ground
    9) Fill both coolants as you can see levels under the hood in the reservoirs.
    10) Perform maintenance mode for inverter coolant fill and air removal.

I will do this all in a day, but the prep work will be done prior to ensure this goes as smooth as possible( gaskets, fluid purchase, etc) ;).

Good luck to the OP but not sure why you would need to do maintenance mode or get into the car if you do the above in that order with the car in the air.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't drain all the fluids at the same time. Do one at a time. Get one system done and move on. The term dunnage is used in shipping to secure stuff in ships hold.
    Just block up the front. Do the trans first. Then dump the Inverter fluid. Bleed that out. Save the engine coolant for last and if me I would not open the engine plug. Just do the rad. The Prius is very easy on engine coolant but very hard on Invert coolant.

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    By doing them all at once I meant while the car is up, not having several streams going at once.....

By draining only the radiator, what do you mean? The drain for the engine coolant is at the radiator pet cock valve( or this is the easiest way).

When I changed out the egr cooler, I used this pet cock and got out the 5 quarts you would expect and the reservoir showed empty. So how else would you drain it as this is by far the lowest spot in the system? Or why use a different spot and only change some of the fluid? The coolant is cheap and if you are bothering to do it at all, why not do a complete swap?

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No your ok I thought oi were opening the engine coolant not the rad. Just dump the rad.

Why not do a complete swap? Because this is a modern car and sometimes its very difficult to get all the air out.
    With no engine temp gauge you'll never know you have an air pocket and could possibly overheat the engine but if you want dump the whole system.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The engine coolant can be easily drained without jacking up the car, but you probably want to jack the car to drain the inverter.

If you want to do both, jack the car, drain the inverter fluid, put the bolt back in, fill and bleed, then do the engine coolant. If you want to be really nuts about it, lower the jack while draining the inverter to get all the fluid out, then raise the car again to put the bolt back on. I wouldn't bother with that. If you do, be safe, don't cut corners, and use the jack stands each time.

It's easy to bleed these systems. Just gently squeeze the hoses for a while while the pump is circulating the coolant.

The NutzAboutBolts videos make it easy. Just watch them and you'll be fine.
    My tips:
    1) Don't confuse the inverter drain bolt with the transaxle drain bolt. They look the same.
    2) Be careful adding inverter coolant. It doesn't take much and if you're using a funnel, it's easy to overfill. (I know this because...)
    3) When you drain the transaxle, loosen the transaxle fill bolt before you loosen the transaxle drain bolt. Because if you drain the transaxle and then, for some unlikely reason, you can't open the fill bolt... you're up a creek.

#13 Rebound, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lost me there. If you drain the radiator, virtually all the fluid will drain out of the system.

I know that there are cars with sealed cooling systems which are difficult to bleed air out of, but Prius Gen III is pretty easy to bleed all the air out. It doesn't have (or need) any bleeder valves in the system.

As with any sealed cooling system, you gently squeeze all of the hoses as the coolant, and you will feel the bubbles come out. Squeezing the large lower hose seems to get most of the air out.

#14 Rebound, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  15. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All set. I worked on everything yesterday and all went well. I was able to drain engine coolant first with prius on the ground. Once that was done I then jacked up front of car on stands and then rear onto stands and checked for level. I then drained the inverter coolant and lastly the ATF. Man those bolts were hard to loosen, but I was able to get the fill plug open first before I attempted to open the drain plug for the ATF. The engineers really didn't make this easy to do-especially getting a socket wrench in there to open the fill plug and filling the ATF was also a PITA-I used a transfer pump like the one in NAB's video, but it still was very messy. I got about 3.5 quarts in. Took it for a small test drive after I was done. Going to take it for a slightly longer test drive today, but I don't anticipate any problems. Thanks again for all of your help. I will be posting up a new thread soon on some questions I have about the brake fluid flush and spark plug change, but that won't be today.
    Take care,
    H00s13r

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are a lot of us trying to get the nerve up to do that brake fluid flush.

I think what we're waiting for is somebody to try it using tools that are available to mortals. I have a small air compressor, and Harbor Freight sells a vacuum tool for about $60. The cheaper tools look scary to me, like I'll wind up with brake fluid all over the place.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking to use just a syringe with tube extension to baste out fluid from the reservoir, and a simple tube and bottle setup at the bleed bolts. I do have some bleed bolt push-on adaptors.

Sometime..., maybe when I'm swapping to snow tires. It's been 3 year since last, the dealership did it in conjunction with the brake master cylinder recall. They say they did, and there's four brake fluid "units" on the invoice.

18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good job!

Any difficulty getting trapped air out of the engine cooling system? Did you finish filling with the engine (or at least the pump, somehow) running?

Refilling the transmission is easy with the hose-&-funnel method, if you're careful to go slowly at the end to minimize messy overflow.

I didn't have any trouble with the transmission plugs, using a pipe on a common hex key ("Allen") wrench.

#18 CR94, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try removing a crankshaft main pulley bolt someday. Over 200 ft lb of torque on some. 1/2" breaker with six feet of steel pipe, then you have to figure out how to keep the engine block from just flipping over.

#19 Rebound, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  20. H00s13r

H00s13r Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks!
    I don't think so. I followed his video to the T. When filling I initially did it with engine off (like in the video) giving it a little while to go down and then would add some more. I took my time and then when it no longer went down and stayed at the full mark I put the car in maintenance mode and let it run until the fan came on(took almost 15 minutes for fan to come on), then while fan running I carefully and gently squeezed whatever hoses I could reach safely a few times. I did see some bubbling in the reservoir like in the video. Lastly I ran the heat like he did in the video, but I also went a step further and cycled through all the different modes (defroster, feet, feet+defroster, and then upper or mode that blows out toward your face) for a few minutes on each and also ran the fan on high and low during that time for each mode.

In regards to the ATF. I did buy a transfer pump like he used in the video (got it at harbor freight for under $4 with a monthly sale coupon, but it was very messy, I probably spilled a couple of ounces on the floor. Next time I will rig up a piece of clear tubing connected to a funnel and run it down from the engine bay into the hole and have someone slowly pour it into the funnel from up top while I am underneath monitoring it being filled. I had no one to help me with this so I just used the pump. It worked, but again very messy and will probably not use that again.

I have a breaker bar, but my car jack only gets the car up high enough to put it on my 6 ton jack stands in the lowest position when I put the stands at the pinch weld jack points like he did on the video. That only put the car up high enough for me to crawl under and so I couldn't use the breaker bar because it is too long. Just had to really pull on my regular racket and they broke free. I also couldn't use my torque wrench to torque it to exact specs (again because it too is too long), so I just tighted it up to what I felt was tight, but not enough to over torque it. I have checked it a few times since I did the work and have been checking it each time after I drive it and no leaks and all reservoirs for coolant levels look good.

Mendel Leisk likes this.