1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting rid of small scratches

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Over60, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Over60

Over60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We purchased a Blue Prius C Two last week. We did not notice till the next week that the car had fine scratches under the door handles. This was not caused by us and assume the car had the defect. The fine scratches are not noticed till the car is in the sunlight,not when the car is in the shadows. We purchased the car late in the day which probably accounts for our missing this condition. I figure the dealership will deny any responsibility.

Has anybody found a product that has been useful to reduce or rid fine scratches?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the Prius-v forum.
    Sounds like the normal scratches resulting from fingernails grabbing at the handle. I'd leave it alone since there's bound to be more. But a good polish should blend them in, followed by a good hard wax.

3. Over60

Over60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

We don't tend to get scratches like these on our cars. I have a 2012 Honda Fit that is red and after 18 months of ownership, there are no similar marks. My wife wants them removed and she is the boss.

Have you found a good polish that won't damage the clear coat paint?

As a aside, my wife(Prius Princess) has been getting over 52 mpg city driving and she loves the car.
    With all the computers on this car, I believe they told us 14(yikes, that scares me), we call it the Blue Chip.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They make door handle protectors. They are clear film made by 3m that applies in the handle hole. The C's paint is thinner than other cars and will show these swirls sooner.

5. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend using meguiars scratch x and then following it up with some wax. Usually works wonders with small scratches that aren't too deep. Sometimes a clay bar will help too.

6. Over60

Over60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    B2F, Scratch X will be part of my purchases today at Walmart. NuFinish paste wax which is recommended by Consumers Report(figured their review of the Prius C was done after some of their wine testing) is also on the list.

As a aside, we took the car to Palo Alto using Pacheo Pass from the Central Valley. Mpg was a bit disappointing at around 46(possibly due to break-in period) on the way up but seemed to take the steep hills rather well. Heavy winds were handled well. The Mpg on the way back was more satisfying, at near 52.

We very much enjoy this car.

minkus likes this.
  7. Over60

Over60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The ScratchX worked a treat. Seems to have removed or at least covered the scratches. Looks better than when we got it. The NuFinish paste was not difficult to apply or remove and left a nice finish.

We now have friend who may be interested in buying a Prius C. We speak very highly to others about the car.

8. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    agree. there are others as well that resolve scratches. They mostly seem to work by dissolving the paint enough to flow together and overrun the scratch. Meguiars and clay bar has wortked for us on a new car.

9. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've used system one.. works on light scratches, light oxidation, rubs on rubs off works well with and without buffing...

systemoneaps.com

IMG_0070.JPG