1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting the best PHEV kit

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by nohoprius, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know where you got the idea Enginer uses NIMH batteries. They use LiFePO4 cells.

Now the Enginer system (and most others that don't actually replace the Prius battery) feed electricity one way or another into the Prius NIMH battery. It's just that the low-end Enginer systems 'trickle' charge the Prius battery while other systems are more robust in supplying added power, and so they cost more.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hymotion and Plugin Supply are assembled in the US and shipped from the US. PIS's batteries are made in China. I think Hymotion's batteries are built in the US. Enginer kits use LiFePo4 cells. They never used NiMh. The only PHEV kit I know that uses NiMh is Plugin Conversion Corp. Their kit runs about 14-16K. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, everything is made in China.

1 person likes this.
  3. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you are totally right. I'm very sorry for my confusion. Do you known what brand they use? What type? Can we use other type of batteries with the kits? Like with more capacity?

Here's a comparative: (can't post links -.- )
    www dot eaa-phev.org /wiki/
    Prius_PHEV# Kits_and_Conversions

so, what are the main differences between Hymotion, Plugin Supply and Engineer kits?

4. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enginer(DC-DC converter based)2kw,4kw, 8kw uses LifePo4 realforce ss batt box(I think pouch type).
    Hymotion(converter based too)
    PIS(contactor based) 4kw and 10kw use GBS Prismatic LifePo4.

You can search youtube, mfg websites, eaa phev to see some of the different PHEV products

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The batteries used on current Enginer kit are RFE pouch cells. There are 4 20ah cells wired in parallel per series. There are 16 series that makes the pack 53.3V when charged. The true capacity of Enginer 4KW kit is actually 4.2-4.3KW. Hymotion and Enginer are converter based while plugin supply is contactor based. PICC just replaces the OEM pack with their own larger NiMh batter pack.
    You can use larger battery packs as long as they're around 53-54v when fully charged and able to discharge up to 120 amps

2 people like this.
  6. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify I've been talking to Plug In Supply their 10kw system comes from the US their 4kw system comes from China. Not sure why they did that but that was the breakdown I was given. Another interesting note for anyone interested you can start with a 4kw PIS and add another 4kw for an 8kw system still maintaining cargo area. I have an 8 mile commute to work but expect to drive this car (of which I don't have yet =p) all the time through the weekend so I can see myself bumping to an 8 by adding another 4kw. In looking at this consider the weight impacts as well. I'm certain performance will be more sluggish and wobbly with 300 lbs of battery in the back (that's like having 2 adults in the back all the time). Another reason I'm thinking of going 4kw (100lbs).

Food for thought.

1 person likes this.
  7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hi stripedrex, welcome to Priuschat.
    I noticed that you are local to me. If interested and need of some expertise in PHEV conversions, contact me through LIPOG.ORG; I support a local group of Prius owners (Long Island and surroundings)
    ...and now, the USA average adult people weight should be 200Lb and above, so you can keep puting more batteries

1 person likes this.