1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting the best price

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pizza Driver, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What are your tips for getting the best price? Here are some of the things I have heard about getting a good price but I am not sure whether all of them are accurate:

1) Do you get a better price by buying a car on the lot versus ordering a car that has the color scheme you want?
    2) Can you negotiate a better deal by paying in cash as opposed to financing through the dealer? (Important Qualifier: I am not including any manufacturer rebate such as Toyota's $500 rebate.) If so, would it make sense to get a loan from your bank (assuming a good interest rate) rather than Toyota's finance company?
    3) I believe a good tactic would be to visit at least two dealers and have them each make an offer before settling on one. This would include the trade-in value of your current vehicle.
    4) I am interested in the Platinum warranty, so I would want that included in the final price. I am also interested in the paint protection film and perhaps the door-sill LEDs. Basically, the idea would be to get everything except for taxes and title included in the final offer.
    5) I am considering buying in January and might like some winter tires. These would be included in the total package price.

Other thoughts on how to get a good price?

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy from Costco. It'll save you at least $2k.

3. estebinbin

estebinbin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a link to the Consumer Reports new car buying guide:
    How to Buy a New Car - Consumer Reports

Its practically covers everything to shopping, haggling, even financing. It is sound help full advice. It answers many of the questions you are asking. It definitely suggests to treat every thing separately, such as first lock down the price you are willing to pay for the price of the car you want then negotiate a trade in, financing, warranty. Give it a look, it is only to your benefit, hope it helps.

Pizza Driver likes this.
  4. jgurley

jgurley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    I have two Toyota dealers within 75 miles of home, so I went to the first with my Costco price, and they said "we can beat that, in fact you can have $100 over invoice (plus Dest + TDA). I went to the second and said "can you beat Invoice +$100, and they said, without hesitation, "yes, how about $0 over invoice". When the first salesman called me for a status check, I told him about $0, and he grunted, ranted about local service, etc. Being closer to my home, I told him they'd service it no matter where I bought it. He called back the next day and matched the Invoice+$0 price. They also located the version 3 that I wanted in the manufacturing queue, and put my name on it. They gave me the shipping date, so I was able to follow the ship across the Pacific, and see the car on a trailer leaving the port. They called me promptly, and I went to pick it up 30 days after ordering. It came with carpet mats (which I didn't want), but I took them since they were also at invoice price. I also got the $1000 factory rebate, so I actually paid about $600 under invoice. I did spring for the "extended Toyota Care" (7yr/125K) for $500 off the usual $2750. I've never done such a rash thing before, but being the first model year, I felt a little leery. Then take a $4500 tax credit, which puts the car at about the same price as my '05 Prius. Never talked about a trade, since an '05 with 220K miles is nearly worthless - it will go on Craigslist this Spring or maybe a charity. Not sure you can count on the tax credit in 2017, once America is great again, so I'm glad I put the vehicle in service in 2016.

Merkey, taigebu and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It all depends. Is the car in short supply in your region? You'll be lucky to get it for MSRP, 'because if you don't buy it, tomorrow some else will.
    2--The dealership gets a kickback from the lender. Do not tell them how you'll pay for it until you get the price nailed down. When they talk about payments, it's OK to smile and nod your head, but keep the method of payment close to your vest.
    3--Yes, if the car is in ample supply. The value of your trade is actually a separate deal. Don't let that value influence the price of the purchase. Settle on the purchase price first, then negotiate the value of your trade.
    4--There is no such thing as a Platinum warranty. There is a Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement. (The word "warranty" is not used.) There is NO reason to buy this from your selling dealer. Make this completely separate. Get the best price from any Toyota dealer on the internet, and ask your dealer to match it. If they don't, buy on line. Paint film and LEDs can be rolled in. Expect a 20% discount.
    5--Price your winter tires from Tirerack.com or Discount Tire. Offer the dealer the chance to match.

6. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As of Jan 2 when I bought mine, Prime is not on the Costco list ( at least in California). I was suspicious when the dealer told me this but I double checked with the Costco official who confirmed it.

7. jgurley

jgurley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    I think the dealer that is usually the Costco agent extrapolated the usual "Invoice +$300" as a Costco price. The dealer I ended up using advertises all their cars at Invoice +$100 (marked on the windshield of their entire inventory). When I ordered my Prime, they had not yet seen one, although they had pre-sold the two they were allocated for stock, so I ended up with the third unit in the area. Both the allocated units were Premiums, which I didn't want. My color of Plus was already on the production schedule without a name attached, so they grabbed it.

They are apparently now shipping most of their new Primes to Seattle and Portland, since folks are apparently willing to pay the extra delivery to get the advertised price. Probably making some enemies in the dealer community.

It was buried in a snow drift for the last two weeks, so the fuel gauge still shows full on the first tank, after only 200 miles on the odometer, mostly done in EV mode. Finally drove it again yesterday.