1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting the lay of the land...

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by silvergenII, Jun 6, 2016.

1. silvergenII

silvergenII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey folks, I am looking at getting some form of EV in the next six months. I already have an FEH and my silver genII. I'm looking at the used market for a leaf or the possibility of a new C max energi.

Work is about 17 miles one way, Which puts it just outside of the range of a PIP, and of course well within that of a volt if I could fit into a volt. I am also looking at a spark EV, though I would have to "import" One from Maryland.not a big deal my parents live about 90 miles into Virginia and I am there every few weeks or so.

With all of that I was looking on PlugShare for local charging opportunities at or near work. It turns out that There is an engineering firm just around the corner from work which has several GE branded charging stations! My hours are such at work that I could probably charge there and never overlap with their employees.
    View attachment 111691

there is also a nissan dealer, Fairly close by or is it one charging station where they keep their demo leaf plugged in.

I am going to jokingly suggest to my boss that he should reach out to our local utility company who is our next-door neighbor and see about getting a deal and several charging points in the employee parking lot. He is notorious for not spending money however,so hopefully there is some way to get headquarters for our company to encourage him.

Image1465189162.011327.jpg

There is a thumbnail and the "local market" it looks as if there is much broader charging opportunities than I would've thought.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Start by looking at completed, eBay, EV sales for the models you have an interest. This will give you a 'fair market value.' Then setup an eBay alert when those cars come available. Then make sure you have a an approved, car loan from you banker.

Plot the completed sales, price vs. utility, and join a forum for your particular car. Ask for advice and wait for a 'sweet deal' to show up. Buy it; fly out to pick it up, and; drive it home.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Bob!

I'm already starting on the research on models. The toughest 'sell' is going to be my wife...
    What are the major charging networks? I've got the GE stations just around the corner from work, what others are out there in general?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That sounds strange since the price delta between those two options is huge.

Are you sure those charge stations close by are open to the public? I would base the buying decision on only having home charging available. The upcoming Bolt EV is the first BEV in my price range that fits that metric.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not an expert and the online experience has been frustrating and subject to change. What I found:
    • Whole Foods - has public chargers but always call ahead to make sure there is access. The Huntsville one is OK but somewhat slow. More of a topper than a charger.
    • New Shopping Mall - thinking EV owners are rich and will buy anything, there are free chargers at the local 'Bridge Street' development. But the nearest restaurant charges $2.50 for a glass of club soda. Still, these chargers have 'big ones' and can put a serious charge on in an hour or so.
    I don't think we know enough to identify the definitive map. Google was going to do something but the project never materialized. I am starting to investigate the iPhone app, PlugShare but it is too soon to make a judgement call. I'm also not sure we really know the economics and durability of these chargers. It was one reason why I went with the BMW i3-REx, the security of having that gas engine to 'limp home' (at up to 75 mph.)

Bob Wilson

6. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was looking at public charging stations from the plug share app, so reasonably sure they're open use.
    The vehicle choices are based on early research, I'm not locked in to any vehicle yet.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Other than eating, grocery, or hotels, public charging on private property like an engineering firm is rare. Don't count on these. Secondly, charging rates are typically higher than gas prices so that's another big reason I advise relying on home charging.

8. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, I'm fine with home charging, generally I do the groove in the highway thing ... Same roads every day. Our local county waste plant has a free charging station , they sort & burn trash for energy... And they have free access 24/7

9. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, that's what I'm finding as well... Hence my choices of a plug in hybrid; CMax or Volt (if I can solve the limbo dance to get in without killing myself)

The leaf or a spark EV are options if I'm going to have a true commute vehicle, and for those i'll charge at home for regular use.

All is research at this time; interesting stuff!

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've owned both and the CMax has much better ingress/egress. I also have a gen II and rate it in between those two. The CMax would be closest to your current FEH including ride height.

11. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Long term my goal is the wife keeps her FEH which she loves, the genII for the youngest son to learn on , and I'll drive whichever I settle on & swap for long trips borrowing the genII

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A used LEAF would be a good fit and they are close to dirt cheap. Look for those with the chademo fast charger as that will make longer trips easier. When using a pay station quick charging can be cheaper than the electricity at home. As the battery fills the charging rate slows so there's a balancing act between cost and time and the needed state of charge.

The Eastern Electric Vehicle Club ( Home ) is a good reference. You can submit your questions on the website and our members will inundate you with useful info.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was at whole foods yesterday, there was a ford fiesta in one ev spot, and a honda crv in the other.:mad:

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Put the parking enforcement number on your phone.

Bob Wilson

15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

They probably can't do a thing for a public charging station on private property. (BTW, my daughter refers to Whole Foods as Whole Paycheck)

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes but they have a nice $2 espresso in ceramic cuppa.

Bob Wilson

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have a good flatbread, some veggies, and their chick peas are cheaper than the supermarket.:p you have to know your prices.
    my wife goes to trader joes, whole foods and the supermarket, they're all within ev distance, but only w/f has a charger.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Their food bars are interesting but I keep having to remind myself that my eyes are larger than my diet.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  19. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Around here we have Wegmans... Equally dangerous. Note to self though avoid Whole Foods../

bisco likes this.
  20. silvergenII

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Still at the very early search stage, but there seem to be equal numbers of Volt and CMax Energi available currently (no pun intended) at roughly the same miles and price point.