1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting these errors after my car got flooded

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Muhammad Tabish Mirza, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Muhammad Tabish Mirza

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hey guys, I am new here and looking for experts here to help me revive my flooded Prius 2016.

After the car got flooded we disconnected the battery and let the car dry up for 3 weeks.

Now while trying to start the car after taking all the moisture out..we are getting these errors.

Can anyone pls guide? What should be the best steps to diagnose and fix?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get tech stream and the service manual

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How deep was the water - and was it fresh or brackish? Was the entire interior flooded?

I honestly don't know - but that information might be helpful to someone who might have an idea.

I know most cars with major flooding these days are deemed un-economic to repair, at least commercially.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s U.S. service bulletin “Flood Damaged Vehicle Inspection and Handling” (PDF), T-SB-0229-12 Rev1, November 22, 2017, gives general advice.

As @bisco kindly (but laconically) suggests, each of the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) shown in your photos of the scan tool—P0121, P0657, U0110, and U0293—has a troubleshooting procedure in the Repair Manual (more info), listed under their respective seven-digit equivalents, P01201C, P06579E, U011087, and U029387.

All of these DTCs came from the engine control module, but there are probably more DTCs stored in other computers on the car, such as the hybrid vehicle control ECU, that the third-party scan tool hasn’t been programmed to interrogate. I’d suggest using the Health Check feature of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system to read all of the DTCs. You’ll also need this system to do many of the Repair Manual procedures.

As @alanclarkeau kindly points out, it’s not always economical to repair flooded vehicles, and depending on what has been damaged, you may be facing a substantial cost for replacement parts, even if you can do the troubleshooting and repairs yourself. Getting a complete picture of what might be wrong will help you decide whether it’s worth the time and money to proceed.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've worked on a handful of flood cars. Although it depends greatly on the highest water level, if you have a need for a reliable, low maintenance vehicle, a flood car is not the answer. Any ecu that was submerged will be full of water/debris/mud/dirt/corrosion or whatever you want to name it. A lot of stuff on cars is considered water resistant...that does not mean water proof. Flood water is not clean water either. If you leave your car parked for a month, how do your brake rotors look? Usually they have a light coat of surface rust. Think about what happens to everything else on a car after flooding. There's a reason flood cars get totaled out by insurance companies. Things that don't bite you today, surely will, down the road. Most likely at a very inconvenient time.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just like there's a difference between a fender-bender accident and one where the front bumper is now located to the front seat :eek:, there's a huge range in the amounts of flood damage. Some Prius ECU's are located high up inside the dash and if those are the ones affected, the vehicle may have been submerged.

The OP needs a code reader that reads Toyota hybrid specific codes. An unlicensed copy of Techstream and old laptop is fairly economical.

alanclarkeau likes this.