1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting to know my 2014 Prius. Basic maintenance and care.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Badchurrito, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Badchurrito

Badchurrito New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Priuschat,
    I just bought a 2014 model with 94k miles and I am loving the car so far. This is my first nice car and I wanted to begin the process of familiarizing myself with the car and getting to know the ins and outs of basic maintenance and care. What are some things that I can go over on the car to get an understanding of the basics of good maintenance? I’m very handy and eager to learn all that I can to give this car a nice long life. Thanks for any input or advice.

bisco likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Oil changes every 5,000 miles when the maintenance light comes on, rotate the tires each time, check your air and cabin filters, both coolant reservoirs, brake fluid level and tires. The oil change interval is shortened to reduce head gasket problems.

Check oil every week or so until you are sure it is not an excessive oil burner. A change in piston rings was made in the middle of the 2014 production run to mitigate that issue.

Sometime in the next ten thousand miles, change plugs and both coolant systems. Clean the battery coolant fan. Remove and r & r the complete egr system including cooler, plus the intake manifold and pcv valve. Consider adding an oil catch can at that time. These items can be more difficult particularly from an access standpoint. The egr work is not standard but tends to clog. Ensuring it is cleaned (repaired) or replaced is also recommended to reduce head gasket problems.

If the engine or inverter coolant (overheat) light engages, safely pull over and have the car towed for repair. This also reduces head gasket problems.

jerrymildred, DvVan and Badchurrito like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    get to know the jump point under the hood, emergency release for the hatch, make sure you have two working fobs, two working metal keys, keep the drivers door lock lubricated, and have the 12v load tested.
    check the 12v battery and spare tire areas for water leaks. keep the tire pressures a little higher than spec.
    all the best!(y)

don K otay and Badchurrito like this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    RJ Parker pretty much nailed it.
    There’s a sticky thread here with links to the NutzAboutBolts maintenance videos. They show you every single maintenance procedure, very clearly.

Consider installing a Fumoto F133S oil drain valve the next time you do an oil change. It will prevent stripped drain pan threads and make oil changes a lot easier. F133S: Short Nipple Oil Drain Valve with M12-1.25

Oh, and do whatever Mendel recommends. He’s The Man.

Badchurrito likes this.
  5. DvVan

DvVan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Does anybody know an easy way to determine if I really need an oil catch can? I like the idea but if I have to tear apart my engine to figure it out, this might be beyond my abilities.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty much every 2010-2014 needs one. maybe 15 as well. you don't have to tear apart the engine, but you should clean the egr circuit

7. Merv Himself

Merv Himself Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    DvVan, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to promote video links on here, but if you check out my youtube channel I just did a pretty succinct one about PRIUS INTAKE MANIFOLD CLEANING. It will help you. Follow just a few of my steps and you'll soon be staring down the throat of an oil filled air intake manifold.

Clean her up, then install a catch can for sure!

-Good luck

don K otay, Half Vast and DvVan like this.
  8. DvVan

DvVan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III

Sir, your video is awesome! I can't believe the goop you siphoned out of the manifold. Mine must be just as bad.

Merv Himself likes this.
  9. Half Vast

Half Vast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @Merv Himself , nicely done on the video! Seems to be an easy and straightforward repair. I'll be attempting this soon on my new to me, 3rd Gen. Thanks!

Merv Himself likes this.
  10. Merv Himself

Merv Himself Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Staightforward for sure. Just don't try to set any landspeed records or you might start feeling frustrated.

Half Vast likes this.