1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting windows tinted - llumar vs solargard?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by lintriago, Aug 6, 2015.

1. lintriago

lintriago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    HI all,

I have a new black Prius. It gets insanely hot as you can imagine. I want to get my windows tinted. I can get a really good deal with Solargard. Long story but it comes down to the shop offering a major discount to promote the move. Something happened and at the last minute, my appointment was canceled. To make things right, the owner has offered to do it for even less. Basically, I can get my whole car done with Solargard for $100.

Before I worked things out with the owner of the Solargard shop, I made an appointment with another shop who used Llumar. They told me that Llumar is the best that there is. They will charge $300 to do my car.

Is Llumar that much better than Solargard? I am of course leaning toward the cheaper route but I'd like to hear what others experience has been with either of these brands. Thanks.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, the color of the car makes almost no difference in the interior temp sitting in the sun. The black dash does, and the color of the interior does. Window films that are simply darkening will cut down on UV and glare, but can actually make the glass surface hotter. Whether that results in a net loss or gain of heat is an open question that the tint shops don't like to talk about.

Of course the shops will tell you whatever they need to to make a sale with the best profit for them. The one is giving you free labor, the other is not. Learn about the films for yourself, do the homework, and decide for yourself.

3. lintriago

lintriago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am doing homework but part of that includes asking for experience in this forum.

I had a white Prius before the black one and the interior temp in my black one is significantly hotter on a sunny day. The interior is actually lighter in the black Prius than in the white so I tend to think that the color of the car does make a difference based on that.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dark colors on a car will make the car hotter then lighter colors. Window tint does reduce the amount of heat inside the car. These days all big brand window tint are good, what you need to understand is that there are different types of tint. Some are straight dye, some have metal particles and some have ceramic particles. Metal film has given way to ceramic films. These films out preform the straight dye films in reducing heat. The cost is more. But even with straight dye film, it will reduce a good amount of heat within the car. So you should find out what each is offering so that you know you are comparing Apples to Apples.

#4 orenji, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    lintriago likes this.
  5. tangcahyadi79

tangcahyadi79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    depend what kind type film and brand . Llumar is good brand , i been used Suntek CXP is good and I used 3M color stable is good also the price for those film is $300-500 . If you get install in fancy store is $500 . i got install $300 for 3M color stable in Bay Area , San Mateo ,CA the place is very recomended the store name Best Image .

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A white aircraft fuselage crown requires least A/C power to maintain at any desired cabin air temperature. Closing the transparency/window shades reduces insolation, reducing required A/C power further.