1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

getting windshield tint!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by galaxee, Nov 1, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    our windshield is finally getting tinted on monday! [​IMG]
    i've been thinking about doing this for a long time... i got the medical exemption in january but we haven't had the money. well, my dad sent some money for my birthday a couple weeks ago and i decided i want to use it to get this tint done.

called up our tint guy, who made sure i had the legal/medical exemption stuff sorted out, and set up the appointment- the car is going in monday morning to have 45% put on it. :D i can't wait.

2. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you expect to be stopped by the police often? I know in the Daytona Fl. area they really go nuts over tint.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had been thinking about getting a light tint put on the front of mine to cut out some of the sweltering heat that comes through the front windshield. I figure, hell, I'm already "illegal" with the tint on my side and rear windows, a light tint on the front probably won't be very obvious.

Please keep us updated to let us know how it does (I'm mainly concerned with the heat aspect).

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    being an out-of-stater the local cops largely leave me alone for that type of thing. i guess we'll have to see... maybe i should quit speeding so much then eh? :lol:

i'll let ya know Danny... i didn't think much about the heat but i bet that will be an improvement.

5. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Make sure that the installers are careful, it is necessary to heat the tint a little with a heat gun during installation, they do it right on the glass, if they get too close then the windsheid will crack.
    also
    If you get into a bad accident and hit the windsheild it doesn't act as it was designd to. In other words it is more dangerous.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    our tint guy is a real pro, i'm not too worried about the work he'll do. he does all the carolina panthers' cars and the charlotte hornets' cars too. he did the rest of our car a couple years ago and i'm still pleased about it as can be.

i'm a good seatbelt-wearer, so i'm not super concerned about hitting the windshield in anything but the most extraordinary and unsurvivable circumstances. in the case something flies at my windshield on the highway, i have extra protection too.

plus if i can see better with tint on the windshield, it increases my chances of being able to avoid a possible accident in the first place.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    galaxee! Speeding? I'm shocked. ;)

Do you do much night driving? Do you think the tint will affect your vision then?

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do about 10% of my driving at night. the oncoming headlights are especially painful. now when there's a prius in the oncoming lane... ow!!!

i am going to be careful at first to be sure i'm ok. and that's one reason i chose 45% and not 30% like DH thinks we should get.

9. jhall

jhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is 35% on the side and 45% on the windshield:
    [​IMG]
    The sky is overcast and it is morning. Sometimes it looks dark to me, and sometimes not. I have had it for 1 week and passed by a few police and haven't been pulled over. I think it's light enough to see in under pretty much all circumstances which I think is what police are worried about.

I wanted something to keep heat and glare out and protect the interior (although it is in the back of my mind that I could get pulled over whenever I see a police car). I can see out just fine night and day and I am pleased so far. I suppose worst case is some day I get a ticket and get pulled over and I have to get the front/side and windshield tint removed.

Good luck and enjoy :)

10. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhall @ Nov 3 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]534320[/snapback]</div>
    That looks S-O-O-O-o-o-o-oooo Illegal.

But cool.

Bring it to New York State and you can ride point for me.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i like it, jhall :D i've already got the 30% (+/- a percent or 2) on the sides but that 45% on the windshield looks good. i'll have to take a before and after pic.

our tint guy does too just in case we forget.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sweet!

[​IMG]

it's a bit dark outside in this pic , stupid daylight savings time, but it's really nice. i could actually take off my sunglasses without that awful pain. need to wait for the tint to finish curing, but i like it a lot so far.

13. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhall @ Nov 3 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]534320[/snapback]</div>
    I think they really worry more about someone pulling a gun on them and they can't see it coming when they have a lot of dark tint on the windows. I don't think the 45% would prevent that but I also don't think they would pass up a chance to stop someone for illegal tint even if it really isn't. (keep those doctors prescriptions or whatever very accessible)

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, improved night visibility comes with the package. at least for me.

i came home from a short errand and we had the following conversation:
    g: "hey, you know how headlights and taillights are all glare-y and blinding?"
    DH: "uhhhhh"
    g: "ok, so that really is just me. well, the tint made that go away."
    DH: laughs

15. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very nice galaxee...
    just wondering if that satellite dish mounted on the back increases your wind resistance much though ;-)

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL, i used to be so afraid i was gonna hit that stupid thing. i don't know which of the neighbors it belongs to.

17. SW Prius

SW Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: getting windshield tint!

I am having glare problems in the sun, which we've finally seen in our area... I'm thinking about just getting the top part tinted. What is legal in Calif? I had a Calif Sienna and it had some tint, definitely more than the Prius