1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting Your Prius Serviced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StuartS @ Feb 24 2006, 04:48 AM) [snapback]215780[/snapback]</div>
    Prius.co.uk is the official UK Toyota site run by Toyota. I looked at it briefly just now and couldn't see any comments about dealers but there is a comprehensive list of UK dealers. In any case would an official Toyota site allow any adverse comment about servicing to appear on a Toyota site?

2. StuartS

StuartS New Member

PRIUS-UK has a "database" where members can record their servicing experience together with cost etc. It's a useful tool to recommend/warn off other Prius owners. With the large number of Prius Chat members in the States it very quickly could become a good source of informarion.

StuartS

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StuartS @ Jul 28 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]293777[/snapback]</div>
    I can't find anything with an address like this. What's the full www address?

4. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Oil changes in the dealership where I work are done by the least experienced tech or trainee. The more experienced techs are put on repairs matching their experience. For example, there is one tech in my dealership that does all of the transmission work because he's fast and good at it. I have never seen a customer being allowed to talk to the techs. They are too busy to working to spend time talking to customers that's the service writers job. However, one suggestion I have is ask to talk to the shop foreman, he's your guy . If you feel comfortable with him then you should be ok. The key man in our dealership is the dispatcher. He gives out the work to who he thinks can best do the job.
    Remember the service department is in business to make money and that means doing the job in the quickest time possible. Hence , shortcuts are taken and which leads to poor work. If the shop is good people will rave about it. Word of mouth advertising is the best way of knowing whoes good or not.
    For example, I asked if the Prius took synthetic oil where I bought my car . The service writer didn't know the answer and said it took a thin oil. A red flag went up on that answer. I'll not take it in for service to this shop. FishHawk

5. Blackfang

Blackfang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Jul 28 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]293961[/snapback]</div>
    That is anywhere you go. A flat rate Master tech won't waste his time on an oil change when he can be gainfully employed helping a customer with an engine issue or diagnostic. However, that doesn't mean all lube techs arent worth a damn. I have 2 trainees who have done timing belts, intakes, transmission repairs, scheduled maintenance, etc also doing oil changes. I also have some that arent as skilled and they have to start somewhere.

We allow our customers to see their car and speak with the Technician. If my customer has a question I can't answer, to the car/tech we go to show them or ask the tech.

Just like technicians you have inexperienced writers. We are know it alls, despite how some may act. That service writer probably was never asked that question before and instead of going to get the right answer, he gave you a half assed one which is wrong.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    techs by us don't do oil changes in general, the oil changes to to the guys running the express lube. the line techs focus on the general maintenance and diagnostic fronts and only do oil changes if it's part of a bigger ticket (as in, recall work, diag issue, etc)

7. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just had a 5000 km service done as suggested by the Toyota dealership where I purchased the car. It has been 6 months since the 1000 service and here in Australia the recommendation is to have a service at least once every 6 months even if the milage is below the recommended distance.
    There are only 2 qualified service agents in the State where I live and even the closest one is 100 km from home.
    I was in a hurry to pick up the vehicle and be on my way and did not fully comprehend the paperwork on what they actually did during the service.
    On arriving home I noticed among other things that they checked the drive belts and electolyte levels in the battery. I am about to embark on a 2000 km trip and while checking the spare tyre pressure noticed my battery is a sealed unit so they could not have checked the fluid level.
    I have not had a detailed look in the engine bay for drive belts so do not know what is there. What drive belts would the mechanic check and what do they drive?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well there is one drive belt- it runs the water pump. it's a PITA to check to be honest.

battery is indeed sealed, so they couldn't have checked the electrolyte levels.

probably standard stuff they just automatically fill out on the paperwork that applies to other cars, but not the prius.

9. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 10 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]347274[/snapback]</div>
    I forgot about the water pump and consequently could not think of anything for a belt to drive. I forgot about the water pump - silly me.
    I am sure you are correct about the entries being standard for other cars but their entry about the battery is plain misleading. It probably was not deliberate but even so in Australia to mislead someone by omitting to delete that entry is illegal.

10. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hwalker911 @ Jul 28 2006, 06:15 AM) [snapback]293733[/snapback]</div>
    I know this is old but maybe it might be useful to someone else. I had my car serviced twice at Vann York. Both times I had an issue I quietly handled with the tech. First time there were two. The usual, "all Toyotas take four quarts of oil" syndrome and a tire pressure issue.

I watched on and off from the bay door. I had told the writer I was running 38 front 36 rear tire pressure and that is what I wanted after rotation. Was told no problem. Watching the tech I saw him begin to bleed air out of the front tires after rotating them. Obviously he should not have needed to bleed air to go from 36 to 38 so I went into the area and told him what I wanted. He tried to tell me Toyota recommended 35 lbs all around. I responded politely that he was incorrect on the Prius as Toyota recommended a 2lb differential between front and rear. I could tell he didn't believe it so I just told him that in any event Toyota no longer owned this car and to please put 38 front and 36 rear. He did with no further comment and I left the area.

The second time I had a different tech as their "Prius guy" had hurt his back. Young kid this time. Same ritual with the oil but much friendlier when I told him it only took 3.5 quarts. He actually seemed to be aware of that but told me the bulk oil dispenser did four quarts at a time period. He carefully leveled it a 3.5 but did not reset the service indicator which came on about three days later and 900 miles from home. Luckily I remembered how to reset it myself but no one likes to see that indicator pop on 900 miles from home.

All in all I'm not that impressed although, I have been treated well.