1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gf had to get a prius HV battery dead.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David pahl, Apr 9, 2019.

1. David pahl

David pahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My girlfriend just had to get a used Prius(2005) and now about a year into it the HV battery is dead. Just ordered a Bluetooth scanner to replace my older one. In the mean time reading up as much as possible. Doesnt seem like a hard job to replace and balance the battery packs[modules i think they are called] just time consuming.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope your scanner has Techstream.

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Techstream would be the best tool, but as long as the scanner you bought is compatible with the Torque Pro Android app, or Dr. Prius or Hybrid Assistant, you should be able to get enough information to start the job. Best of luck.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    replacing modules is a short term fix, but a good learning experience. if she is low on cash, she's lucky to have you.

5. David pahl

David pahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish when i worked at S.E.T thats what we used after the cars got done with the final inspection. Looking to getting a laptop and see about it down the road.
    Just got it in today and yes seems to work with torque pro just fine. Ill try dr. Prius in the morning.
    If it get the stupid triangle to go away for 6 months or so still she can save up for the replacement then it will be worth it.

bisco and davecook89t like this.
  6. David pahl

David pahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And a bit of back story and screen shots.

So this all started when a car pulled out i front of us and she had to slam on her breakes super hard the red triangle popped up and been lile that for a few weeka now. She keeps getting it cleared and just drives till it come on again. Anyway new to hybrids but not working on cars. Screenshot_2019-04-10-22-35-42.png Screenshot_2019-04-10-22-45-33.png Screenshot_2019-04-10-22-53-43.png

Im going to say i have a bad module in block 8 witch is causeing the temperature sensors in the middle of the pack to trip a code......i really have no idea just a shot in the darke

davecook89t likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Priuschat.
    If you go slow you can likely do this job.
    Get an inch-pound torque wrench so that when you put it back together the nuts on the HV battery and contactors are properly tightened. You don't want to break things or leave them too loose.

I sell modules if you need them and would be happy to walk you through things and answer questions.

SFO, davecook89t and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. David pahl

David pahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a link to your store or do you just sell them off of this site?

I have all the tools ill need booth inch and foot lb torque wrenches.

So what seems to be bugging me guys is the middle temperature sensor is always higher then the rest by a lot. I went out this morning and did a check and this is what i got. Screenshot_2019-04-11-07-39-28.png

You can see that it is about 10 degrees higher. This is as soon as i switched the car on so i know the chargeing didnt have anything to do with it[ok maybe still not to sure]

9. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It makes sense to me. Block #8, near the middle, is not able to hold the charge being applied to it, and is expelling that excess energy as heat. Also, keep in mind that the middle blocks are the farthest away from the cooler air at either end of the battery. They are the ones that usually fail first. You should check the condition of the battery's fan, though. If it is partially clogged, none of the modules will be getting as much cool air as they would like, and the middle modules will suffer the most.

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose someday I should set up a store, but for now I just talk to people via email or on the phone. 608-729-4082 [email protected]
    Great to hear you have tools. Too often stuff gets broken or left loose causing all kinds of unexpected issues.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A