1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GFCI Breaker keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Shameless Plug-in, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you get an unbalance between the current going out on the hot wire and the current returning on the neutral wire, yes you can trip. How will unbalance in resistance between the hot wire and neutral wire cause a GF trip if these two wires are in series and should always see the same current unless there is true ground leakage current.

As for a 1 kw load, the GF breaker can always trip on overload but that is not the same as the GF button tripping.

ftl likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Replace the outlet with a standard outlet and replace your circuit breaker with a GFCI breaker.

3. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Make sure the face of the outlet is clean. Dirt or moisture can cause enough leakage to trip a GFCI. If it trips all by itself, and the face is clean and dry, replace the GFCI.

4. Travis64

Travis64 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mine is doing the same and I don’t have room to add a new line I only have 150amp box

I just replaced the gfci to see if it fixed it but nothing
    What should I do?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    call an electrician, but the least expensive way may very well be a sub panel. You can Google how they're used, if unfamiliar.

Travis64 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried switching to 8 amp charging?

7. Travis64

Travis64 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what all else is on that circuit?

9. Travis64

Travis64 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just Verizon box and outside outlets have a nest cam outside

10. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It must be the birds trying to get a little privacy. :D

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you unplug them and see what happens?

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Could be the charger going bad. Try a vacuum, or other high wattage appliance, plugged into the outlet to see if it trips...

13. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Chances are is that the gfci is doing it's job.
    Somehow there is current leakage back to ground instead of the current return.
    The most probable way is where the extension cord has a connection in the outdoors.
    There are two places this can happen.
    1. In some portion of the cord it's self. A nick, a scratch, a tear in the cord
    sheath, where it it can get sightly damp and touch the ground.
    I had a cord that I used for many years for the Christmas lights that got touched by the weed wacker once too often.
    It was a very small hole, but big enough to make the gfci unhappy.
    The cord should be replaced.
    2. at the outdoor plug side. If the cord end has been submerged ( or in contact with) in outdoor mud / slush it could be coated in a very slight conductive coating of salt ( not just the sodium kind ).
    I've never been able to clean the connector (once it has faulted) so that it was good enough to remove all salts.
    Once salts start conducting, other deposits can occur, especially with an electric charge.
    Some deposits may be not water soluble, which makes it had to clean.
    To avoid this only make electrical connections inside a chamber that does not come in contact with water, and ground (and its salts).
    Sooo.. you need some way to make sure that the plug interface in the outdoors stays high and dry.
    For my Christmas lights, I use a 2 liter soda bottle where I cut the top off.
    I drove a ~14 inch wooden stake into the ground leaving 8 - 10 inches out of the ground.
    Then I put the electrical connection into the bottle, and stuffed a rag in the bottle to keep the electrical connection at the bottom end of the bottle.
    Push the bottle - connection - rag over the wooden stake so that it is upright and the electrical connection remains at the top inside of the bottle - high and dry.

Just my experiences...

14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    GFCI outlets are know to fail. But if you're having the same problem with a replacement, I'd suspect that the problem is with whatever is plugged into the outlet -- in this case, your car's EVSE device.

(Of course, your replacement GFCI outlet could also be defective. I've actually experienced that happening on one occasion. Kinda like hitting the lottery twice.)

If you're using an extension cord, you should make sure that the cord and the connectors on both ends are clean, tight, and with no damage. If you're not using an extension cord, I seriously would suspect the EVSE device itself.

Does the GFCI trip when the EVSE is plugged in even if not connected to the car?