1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ghost in the machine?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by tiggerntatie, May 6, 2012.

1. tiggerntatie

tiggerntatie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two and a half weeks of ownership and I have been very impressed - I love this car.

But there have been some odd occurrences. I wonder if anyone else has seen these:

Locked out.

I am trying to break my wife of her habit of leaving her key in the car. One morning after I had already left for work (on foot), she went out to start the car and found that her key was securely locked inside. She had to wait for me to get home to unlock it, and I could only unlock it by pressing the unlock key on my fob. After we got it out, I discovered that it was "impossible" to lock the key back inside. Yet somehow it happened all by itself.

Light is on, but no one is home.

On another morning as I walked by the car on my way to work I noticed the interior light was on. I opened the door and observed that that the dome light switch was in the center position and all the doors appeared to be closed, so I couldn't figure out why the light was on.. I closed the door again and it went off..

What are your "ghost in the machine" experiences with this marvelous automobile?

2. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you leave the key fob in the car it will beep at you for a while to let you know it's in there. Read the pages on the locking procedures in the manual. As for the lights, if you have the key fob on your person every time you come close to the car it will light up the interior for a short time, and then go out as soon as you move away. If you move the dome light switch you can set it so it won't come on at all, or stay on manually, or come on and off with the door being opened and closed. Read the manual. If the key fab keeps getting locked in the car maybe you should drive to work and your wife walk? LOL just a thought :) It is a great car,

1 person likes this.
  3. tiggerntatie

tiggerntatie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Arggh.. you're right about the light. My family used to discharge our car battery often by leaving dome lights on so I'm always looking out for lights in the car. Now I won't know what's going on!

28 pages in the manual on locking and fob operation! It doesn't seem to let you lock the car if the fob is inside, but it never actually complains about it if you just walk away. Obviously leaving the fob inside and walking away without locking is pretty crazy. Let's just say my wife's experience was a great learning opportunity.

4. Captain PIP

Captain PIP Piloti di Hybridi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have left my key fob in the center console every night since picking the car up. No problem with mystery locking. Thanks for the heads up though.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I recall, you CAN lock a key fob in the car. You just have to do it manually or with the OTHER key fob. When you do that, it will disregard the key fob that is IN the car.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In previous GenIIIs, there may be a few dead spots inside where the car may not detect the key, so it may not know to squawk when someone attempts to lock it.

7. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I leave mine in the car it beeps at me .It will stop after a short time, but it does alert you.

8. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't you set how long you wish your lights to stay lit? I seem to remember that in the settings. Perhaps they are set to stay on, in your case.