1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ghosts in the road?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tImmarcy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. tImmarcy

tImmarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2011 (48,000mi) five with the ATP and the cruise is starting to act a bit odd.
    I was driving 70 on the hwy the other day and apparently there was a ghost car in front of me because my fancy cruise decided to hit the brakes and beep at me like something cut it off. It did this twice within a minute, but there wasn't anyone in front, next to, or behind me when it happened.
    I've also noticed that it seems to have a hard time keeping the distance steady and I can feel the speed fluctuations.

Anyone else having any similar problems?

2. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried shortening the buffer distance setting between you and the car in front?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't be too worried about it, could be a ghost in the road. If it happens again then I would be concerned.

4. tImmarcy

tImmarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    With the "ghost" incident, it was on the closest distance. That's what I tend to use unless the roads are wet.
    The biggest speed fluctuations seem to be when it's set on the other distances.

I'm more concerned with what's going to happen if the system breaks. I'm sure it's not cheap to fix.

5. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know this seems like a no duh sort of suggestion but my friend with the new Mazda 6 was experiencing some similar issues. I'm unsure what system(s) the Prius depends on, but my friend "fixed" the problem by cleaning the radar and camera sensor areas. There was some debris that was triggering the incorrect and inconsistent readings. His problem wasn't as severe as what you had stated though.

6. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    YES!! I had a similar problem (occurred 6 separate times). Some of the times the DRCC system "locked" up when the cruse control was turned off and back on. Only when I completely shut the car down would the cruse control work again. Of course, the problem wouldn't reoccur at the dealer and Toyota flat refused to do anything about it (if it won't malfunction for the dealer they don't know what to fix). I ended up registering the problem with NHTSA - but that hasn't resulted in any action.

One distinguishing characteristic of my problem was that it only occurred when passing an interstate tractor-trailor (I believe that the truck's satellite tracking system was interfering with the radar sensor in my car due to a bad solder joint in ny radar unit's circuit board.

7. tImmarcy

tImmarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thought maybe it could be something on the sensor. Ghost seemed more entertaining though haha

8. tImmarcy

tImmarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't remember if I was passing a semi or not, but I could have been. Thanks for the response. Glad I'm not alone :)