1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Gigafactory 3 production

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 20, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    hill and telmo744 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice to hear they're up and running

telmo744 likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's almost like the hysteria over the latest flu is back to status quo - what with the malaria drug (which we likely get from china anyway) that acts as a CURE ...
    now ... if we can just get the rust of the drama queens (no pun intended) in the bay area to administer drugs w/out a life time of testing to reduce law suits.
    :rolleyes:
    Sister's oldest is a missionary in Africa, and after contracting malaria, she take it anyway. Ha! She's likey already Wuhan proof ... not that anyone would have to live taking meds for a disease like that.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

5. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Caution is not for lawsuits, but so that we don't kill more people with the "treatment" than the disease would.

The malaria medication I've seen suggested (Chloroquine) has a narrow safety margin (called Therapeutic index) between "safe" and overdose, which looks to be very fatal. While its been around for decades, since malaria isn't endemic in the U.S., we don't have as much data on how individuals would tolerate the drug. Widespread treatment has a strong potential to kill many people. This is why drug trials, even on existing drugs, need to proceed slowly to ensure we don't kill the patients with the "treatment".

dbf, iplug, Trollbait and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My vote for the dumbest post of all time.

It's not influenza.

Hydroxychloroquine is manufactured in many locations around the world, including in the US.

Please point me to the randomized clinical trial that proves that statement.

What dose do you give to what people in what condition, how effective is it, and what are the side effects given they already have this disease?

Oh, that's right - you haven't done the research.

ā€œYou have to be careful when you say ā€˜fairly effective,ā€™ā€ he pleaded. ā€œIt was never done in a clinical trial.ā€ - National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci - Link

It's a treatment, not a vaccine.

5 glaring errors in a very short post. Could be a record.

dbf and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but, but, it's backed by trump and musk (n)

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a possibility that it's effective. But if you can't prove it, you don't know it. And no one has proven it yet.

There is good news though - many people are trying, and not just for this one drug, but for several others as well. But they may all come too late. Thousands of people in the US are likely to start dying each day in the next few weeks unless we suddenly get lucky with a treatment. These people were infected before the strong measures were put in place. The daily death toll is doubling about every 2 days, and we're at 57 right now. At that rate, we'll be at a thousand dead a day in 11 days or so. Over two thousand a day in two weeks.

Viruses are notoriously hard to treat reliably. They have a way of acting different in different people and of mutating to different forms. This one happens to be a cousin of one of the sources of the common cold. You may know that we don't have an effective treatment for that, despite it existing for thousands of years. Same with the flu, for which we're only now beginning to have effective treatments - treatments that shorten or lessen the symptoms but don't "cure" the disease. Even the vaccine has a poor effectiveness compared to other vaccines.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I highly recommend this video (and the channel) if you want to effortlessly learn the math:

noonm likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed - but I'm trying to get my head around this bit of your quote??

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    elons up to his old tweets again, definitely his weak spot

markabele and iplug like this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too. It's nearly universal in malaria country. Our mission supplies it to everyone going to Central America, Africa, or South Asia. These people are of a variety of sizes, shapes, and ages. Never any ill effects. Those who live in malaria country "permanently" generally take is all through the rainy season.

I'm still not sold, though, on the effectiveness of a drug for treating a parasite-induced illness in treating a viral illness. But if there's evidence that it helps, I'd take it in a heartbeat if I had the virus and it was getting serious. Just be sure to check for drug interactions first.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I meant that the overdose appears to be fatal, not the drug used at the therapeutic dose. Not all drug overdoses are fatal as we have treatments for some that can reverse the effects. From what I've seen, that doesn't seem to be the case for chloroquine overdoses.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Chloroquine - Wikipedia
    "Chloroquine has antiviral effects,[31] which work by increasing endosomal pH resulting in impaired virus/cell fusion that requires a low pH.[32][33]

Chloroquine also seems to act as a zinc ionophore, thereby allowing extra cellular zinc to enter inside the cell and inhibit viral RNA dependant RNA polymerase.[34][35]"

We are going to see shortages of tonic water next.

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - no, it's my weird sense of ... whatever - wondering if there is a degree of fatalness? Like VERY FATAL - or SLIGHTLY FATAL.

Ignore me - maybe I need therapy again:eek::oops::rolleyes:.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Recall that certain medicines can be toxic to me, ineffective for you and effective for her all if given at the same dose. The trick is figuring out the safe, effective dose for each of us.

noonm and bwilson4web like this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we please get back to the topic?

Thank you.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, thank you

19. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well since the effectiveness of anti-virus medicines may have an effect on how long Gigafactory 3 is shut down for other than maintenance and since the OP's post related to the production numbers coming from Gigafactory3 ...

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That does raise a question. Are any of the 3 gigafactories running? Not running? After all, is anyone out shopping for cars anyway? I must admit, finding a particular carlot open, I stopped by just to ask a sales Critter a few questions. Not that anybody else was there looking at cars - or that any other Lots were open for who knows how many miles.