1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Giving up my SUV for a new Prius C!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by BGGirl, Apr 2, 2012.

1. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone! I am a soon to be Prius C 3 Summer Rain! Not sure when it will come in but ordered it Saturday with the wheels/moonroof package. Had a lot of skeptics telling me they weren't sure I would like it including my husband but I am excited!!! I will be sure to remind them how great it is when they are paying out big at the pumps this summer. I have an 8 year old who just loved it too when we test drove the only one that our dealership had. It was the Moonglow color and once that one sells, they aren't even due to get another one for more than three weeks! So I will just have to wait for them to call me and let me know mine has rolled off the truck. Can't wait to play with all the neat features it has that my SUV didn't!

2. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm an SUV convert too! Which SUV are you switching form?

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I need somthing that can carry a lot of packages for my business. I switched to a Prius "v."

the "c' is too small for my purposes.

The "v' does everything that the old SUV does for less than haf the cost in gas.

4. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Congrats! Hopefully, they can get your car soon. I had mine within 2 days, they had to bring it in from another dealership.

1 person likes this.
  5. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Welcome! I traded in a Jeep Liberty for our Prius and am now getting 3x the mpgs. Enjoy your car!

1 person likes this.
  6. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I am trading from a Saturn Vue that I loved but needed to trade because it was getting up there in miles and Saturn doesn't exist anymore so if something went wrong...it would be harder and more money to fix! I actually narrowed it down to the Prius C and a Rouge basically either something like what I already had or a total change. The gas mileage and hopefully higher resale value were the deciding factors...that and it is just so darn cute! Another thing I like about it is that it stands out... I have been noticing Rogues everywhere and they look just like my Saturn and every other small SUV out there :) I am hoping that maintenance on the Prius will be minimal. I am hoping you are right crebble and it won't be too long before they find one.. Otherwise they will have to order it.

7. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    wow. a lots of SUV convert here. I am not. traded my civic 2010. getting double MPG for city.

8. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are two very different-sized cars you are considering.. The Prius c is a subcompact, while the Rogue is a compact crossover SUV.

If you are considering a Nissan Rogue, it sounds to me like size would be a consideration. You might want to consider a Prius liftback or a Prius v too. The Prius v have cargo capacities closer to a Rogue or your current Saturn Vue, while the Prius liftback has a bit less.

As far as maintenance goes, you will love how little maintenance the Prius needs compared to the Nissan Rogue or Saturn Vue. You will love not having to pay for brake jobs every 20,000 miles (try 100,000+ miles in a Prius, due to regenerative braking). And unlike the Rogue or Vue, the Prius has no timing belt, no alternator, and no starter motor to wear out and need changing. Plus unlike the CVT Rogue that needs the special sticky belt-and-pulley transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, the Prius only needs a standard Toyota WS fluid drain-and-refill about every 60,000 miles or so.

Prius FTW!

1 person likes this.
  9. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info about maintenance! It just enforces my decision to order my Prius C! I had been considering the Rogue I think because it was more what I was used to but when I sat down and weighed the benefits of each, really the only benefit that the Rogue had over the Prius was the cargo space in the back. But when I really thought about it, if we were going on vacation or needed to load up a bunch of stuff, my husband has a bigger SUV that we can use anyway. 90% of the time it will be myself and my daughter in the Prius and other than groceries or softball bags,etc, really I don't lug around a bunch of stuff. When I compared the specs of the Rogue vs the Prius C- I found that there was really only an inch or so difference in the measurements both front and back as far as passenger space. The big difference was in the cargo space. It will just give me less opportunity to clutter up my trunk. LOL

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We too, were a two SUV family, until 2004. First we dumped the 17mpg Ford Explorer for the Prius . . . then 18 months later, we dumped the 14mpg Range Rover for the hybrid Lexus rx-400h. You'll never want to go back!

11. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Okay so the dealership called this morning and wanted to know if I would 1) consider another color (that is a no because I really think I will like this color far better than anything else or 2) give up the alloy wheels that was part of the package. This I had to think about because it seems minor but I am afraid that I would really hate the wheel covers. It would only take $400 off the price and be a whole lot harder and expensive to change later if I can't stand the wheel covers. What do you all think??

12. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As much as the waiting sucks, I would probably wait until they could get me exactly what I wanted. You might get the car sooner, but a short time later, you might regret that you didn't get what you wanted. A few months/years down the line, you'll forget all about the waiting period, but you'll still have the same car. In that future moment, when the waiting no longer matters, would you be happy with the different wheels?

But it's up to you! Do you know how long you'd have to wait for the car you want?

13. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know.. Up to six weeks I think. The waiting doesn't bother me too much for the exact reasons you mentioned.. A year from now it won't matter a bit that I waiteda little extra. I just wondered if I was being too picky wanting the alloy wheels or if everyone thought the covers were fine. I think I would like the wheels better...

14. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Patience... six or eight weeks isn't a big deal. Get the exact car you want. A year from now you would really be kicking yourself for not ordering the car with wheels, color or equipment you wanted in the first place.

Do it right! ;)

15. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Okay.. so almost two weeks after I put down the deposit for my Prius c- the new car manager can't find the one I want and now says that he is going to "turn it over to his rep" to locate one. What does this mean and am I just getting the runaround???

16. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Most likely he's talking about the Toyota district sales rep. This is what they should have done when they were initially finding it difficult to get the exact car you are requesting. But, sometimes the car you want just isn't available, sometimes it's just a matter of sales people/managers having to dig deeper than they are used to. I had to wait 6 months for the Honda FIT I presently have to be built and shipped from Japan. There were just no cars in the state that met my requirements and I was willing to wait for them to build it. GL finding your c.

Have you tried other dealers in your area?

17. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I wasn't sure how that worked. I had given them my card number for the "deposit" but haven't signed any paperwork. I did talk to someone just yesterday at the dealership that my parents always use and he said that he would check around for me too. He said that sometimes there are dealerships that don't have "good relationships" and that even if my c were located at that dealership, they wouldn't bother to try and get it from them. I feel a little guilty like I am going behind my dealerships back sort of but I really don't feel that I am getting anywhere with the one here. If my parents' dealership guy finds something.. am I obligated to the original dealership or can my "agreement" with them be null and void because they never found what I asked for? I have never had this type of experience trying to buy a car so any insight is helpful. I feel kind of silly even having to ask...lol

18. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Any deposit is returnable unless you signed something that said non refundable. You will not lose any money you put down. Many dealerships use a credit card as a deposit guaranty, but many do not even charge the card. have they charged your card? Is it on your statement?

Don't feel bad about working with another dealership while still working with your present one. This is sales...they should be doing everything they can to help make your wants a reality... that's their job. Whoever comes up with the car that you've outlined and can at an acceptable price first should get the reward of making the sale.

Buying a car is the same with any other sales transaction. You, as the customer, should be treated with respect and allowed open communication. If a sales team fails at that, you have every right to find a dealer who can produce results to your satisfaction.

If I were you, I'd be calling every dealership in your area. You never know when you'll find that salesman willing to go the extra mile to make the sale.

19. marcus1701

marcus1701 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I

So silly! You don't owe them anything, you didn't sign 12 signatures on a contract, there's no promise of anything. If I were you... I'd just go to another dealership. They obviously can't get you what you want and your practically telling them..."Hey, I want to buy a car from you!" That's a bad dealership in my opinion. Bad relationship with other dealers is not an excuse, and actually should just raise some flags.

The easiest way to do this is to call all of your dealerships and negotiate over the phone with the sales manager. They will get off their butts and work for you! You will find your car, at a price you want, on your terms. Buying a car should be fun and easy febreezy!!! Remember that.

20. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    @kkim- no they haven't actually charged my card just asked for the number as the deposit.
    @marcus- you are right- buying a new car is usually exciting and I was beside myself excited two weeks ago but that has disappeared because I have no idea where I am now with getting a new car. Part of me is thinking maybe I made a mistake...the Nissan dealership was so eager to bend over backwards to locate the type of Rogue I wanted but I had decided to go with the Prius c. Thanks for the words of wisdom guys!