1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glacer Blue T Spirit, 12 Sep 2004, Cambridge (UK)

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by KMO, Sep 13, 2004.

1. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Date Ordered: 12th September 2004
    Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State): Leaseplan UK
    Timeframe given for delivery: 4-6 weeks (that's just their general estimate for Priuses)
    Color: Glacier Blue
    Option Package: T Spirit
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: n/a

Had to wait six weeks to get a full-weekend test drive, but it was worth it. Lovely car. Really smooth, and after growing up with manual transmissions, just being an automatic was luxurious. Plenty of space for us up front (we're 6' 1" and 5' 9"), and more leg-room than I've ever seen in the back (apart from the Mercedes limo we hired for our wedding!).

We got 55 mpg overall during the test, and it's going back to them with rather more fuel in than when it arrived, as it arrived practically empty, and I overestimated how much we'd use!

Very few complaints; visibility was better than I thought it would be, the steering and ride was fine, and the engine start/stop unobtrusive. The boot was rather shallow, but you can muck around with the tray, seats and cover as necessary to fit stuff in. It's annoying we don't get SE/SS in the UK.

Our test model was a Sileni Green T4. An interesting colour, quite classy, and a pleasant green in the right light, but on a grey, rainy day in England, it basically just looks grey & drab. We wanted something a bit more cheery. The Silver Steel is quite nice, but it's just light metallic gray, really, and looks a bit like someone forgot to paint the car in Japan. It's a bit common too - every other Prius seems to be silver. Aztec Bronze is just a shiny type of beige, and black's too heavy (and too much effort to clean). The Regency Red is darker than we like - a nice gloss flame red would be more the ticket.

So we've settled on the Glacier Blue, although we haven't seen one in real life. The photos I've seen on the web, and the dealers' colour sample looked nice though. Hopefully we haven't made a mistake.

We're getting this as a company car on a 4-year lease. Works out rather nice with the £700 grant (which the lease company pays to us), and a meagre 11% Benefit-In-Kind rate. Normal cars come somewhere between 15% and 35%, depending on CO2 emissions; any similar sized car would be around 25%. So that represents nearly a £5000 saving over a similarly priced conventional car over the 4 years, even before you think about fuel.

Don't know whether their database's 4-6 week estimate is realistic, but it would be nice to get it before Christmas.

2. StuartS

StuartS Guest

Congratulations on your choice of Company Car, very different from the Audi's & BMW's in the car park. Good for the environment, good for your pocket and a "killer" when your fellow workers take up the "I've gotta" brag (especially the Co car tax). I retired 3 years ago and wish I'd had the opportunity for a Prius for my daily grind around the M25/M40.

I've a black T3 for several months, live in Cumbria (plenty of hills), and think it's one of the best cars I've every had. All of your observations plus a definite sense of well-being when sitting in traffic watching all the other cars burning petrol to no effect. The wait is exasperating but worth it.

Stuart Swinsco

3. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Congratulations on your order!

I like my silver one, and I saw a nice one in black near Keighley the other day (the great thing about black is that it blends well with the smoked lower rear window).

I was torn between silver and blue, and although I didn't get to choose in the end, I saw a blue one last week (on A428 just west of Cambridge), and I think the whole car in blue is just too much. Good job it's a personal, subjective thing, really! I trust you'll like yours in blue.

When it arrives, be sure to update this thread - there are a few in this part of Britain, and the number is increasing.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had some amusement dealing with the leasing company. First we had to talk them through the procedures for obtaining the PowerShift grant; they thought it would take a few weeks, but the procedures have recently changed - you can now get an instant grant allocation from the TransportEnergy web site.

Having sorted that out, we were then told that they'd have to add a £311 alarm system to the car to meet the fleet requirements. A bit of research showed that the Prius does come with a Thatcham Category 1 alarm as standard, but it took a couple of days to persuade them of this - the dealer they were ordering from had told them it didn't have an alarm. :roll:

So, today they've ordered the car. It's coming from Inchcape Toyota in Derby, and the estimated delivery date is 7th February 2005. :(

I assume that'll be pretty precise, as I believe Priuses are factory-allocated in the UK. So, only 143 days to go...

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the call on Friday - our new toy is going to be delivered this Thursday, so a little earlier than expected - a four month wait. Just hope the delivery driver manages to get it from the Derby dealer to Cambridge intact. :roll:

On Saturday, walking around Brussels, we managed to get nearly run over by a Prius pulling out of a garage. Far too quiet :)

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It arrived this morning! :D

The Glacier Blue is a beautiful colour - richer and sparklier than I'd expected. We definitely chose the right colour. It looks fantastic.

The ICE seems somewhat noisier than in the car we test drove, but then it does only have 10 miles on the clock. :wink: I suppose we'd better wait until it's run in a bit.

We spent a quarter of an hour struggling with the nav system, but it's gradually becoming clear. The phone system worked first time with my wife's SE T630, and the phone book transferred easily. The signal strength indicator works fine, which pleasantly surprised me - I'd been under the impression from posts here that it pretty much never worked. Haven't had a chance to test the ringing yet.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

Also, as the miles add on, the engine will come on and shut off more smoothly at traffic lights than when new.

Enjoy your new car!