1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glad I bought a Prime!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Feb 15, 2018.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the article! Reliability is one major reason why other companies will have a tough time topping Toyota's HSD system.

3. RuthlessTactics

RuthlessTactics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow!!! This just confirms I made the right choice over the Ioniq plugin hybrid.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure they will figure it all out but they are taking a big hit as far as reliability.

It sounds like that car had more miles on the wrecker than the road. lol

5. Typical "pass the buck" to the customer between corporate and dealer. Since neither knows how to handle the amassing customers with defect complaints and warranty claims, plus training engineers on what to fix/what not to fix, but don't want to lose their $30K per car contracted out to their loaning company, it's easier for both ends to show the consumer how to sit with his thumb up his charger for a long time. This also makes me wonder what else will come out of Hyundai's closet, like, charging issues in cold rain, etc. I can see this escalating to a huge reputation cannibalism for Hyundai in 2018. Hyundai may have slightly better specs than a Prime on paper, but Toyota has better reliability in practice.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Toyota has been practicing with electrified cars since 1997.

Bob Wilson

7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    These issues, according to the article, are with the EV only version, and not the PHEV. Time will tell if the Ioniq PHEV variant displays similar problems. Yet, I'll bet the two Ioniq models do share many components. An EV-only owner has no choice to drive and charge their car in -15 degree weather; our Primes simply shift over to HV mode at 14 degrees F. That's got to minimize super cold related issues.

One thing us Prime owners and Ioniq owners do share - we're all driving first year models. I am expecting recalls sooner or later. Three firmware versions in 1.3 years on the big display alone, and it hasn't fixed most of the boot and connect problems, so Toyota isn't always on top of things.

That said, I am more confident in Toyota's history of taking care of problems that crop up and their design skills and philosophies seem better. Prius being in their 20th year certainly has an edge over the competition.

Really hoping that Hyundai straightens things out with their EV. Good solid reviews and happy customers for the entire EV and PHEV species of vehicles are important to strengthen and grow their piece of the pie to push the oil burners out sooner.

#7 DavidA, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    pilotgrrl, heiwa and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds like a situation for a lemon law to kick in. I do not know if Ontario Canada has such a law.
    The media could be interested in this circus. Many years ago the Toronto Star newspaper had a column where they would act as a consumer advocate on issues and get a resolution.

9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s a compliance car sold in Call, similar story to the first 500es and Smart cars

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The story happened in Toronto, Ontario Canada. If it was only a Canadian compliance car it would have sales restricted to Quebec much like the 2017 Prime was restricted.

11. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sounds like a cold weather issue.

as a prius prime owner i am envious of everyone else's hybrids that get 40 miles on a charge.

12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm in Socal too, and driving mainly surface streets, I'm holding steady at 32-34 EV only miles, which has currently taken me over 2700 miles on electric-only, since Dec 2017, AND I still have 390 gasoline miles of range left!!! Needless to say, this snail is tickled pink and Green.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

pilotgrrl, geguia, benagi and 3 others like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm envious of those getting over 15.:unsure:

14. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I dont like to see other competitors fail, the better they are the better Toyota will make their cars.

HPrimeAdvanced and farmecologist like this.
  15. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now I've breached the 3000 mile level, all on electric, still with 390 miles of Gasoline range left!! This is as of Feb 22, 2018.
    Did I say that I love this car!!

AChoiredTaste.com

benagi, farmecologist and albus like this.
  16. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for posting that.
    Though I've never been a fan of Hyundai, I did very much consider the Ioniq (I liked the styling of it, and "surface things" such as styling and layout seemed better suited to my tastes). But something about Hyundai's quality still bothered me. I know a few Hyundai owners who love their Hyundais and its longer warranty -- but as I then ask them how often they have to take their cars in, hear the same story: that they're always taking their car in for something going wrong. Yes, it's covered, but it wastes time, and tells me that Hyundai still hasn't met Toyota as far as quality and durability. I spent a lot of time researching the Ioniq nonetheless. No car is perfect and every car has problems, but I'm glad I decided on the Prime.

Toyota may be too slow and drag their feet for my taste (embracing EV and an actual EV range, among other things) but usually when they do something, it (usually) at least doesn't have major problems.

HPrimeAdvanced and pilotgrrl like this.
  17. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Drove a Honda Clarity Plug In today. Asked the sales man if the battery was charged up, "yep" fully charged. LOL nope drove car and engine kicked in every time. see photo of how many EV miles were driven and how many HV miles were driven. I did like the brake hold function. you take your foot off the brake after coming to a full stop and the car does not creep forward. I also liked the side view camera display when you turn on the right blinker. 20180222_114728.jpg 20180222_114734.jpg 20180222_114744.jpg 20180222_114748.jpg 20180222_115055.jpg

18. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Anyone who had to live with the 2006-2007 Honda Civic Hybrid mess (hybrid batteries needing to be replaced every 1.5 yrs even with mild driving in mild California coastal climate, among many other issues) won't be in a hurry to go Honda again for a while. If I was buying an old-fashioned plain ICE car, Honda generally makes them good quality. But after 11+ years of a Honda Civic Hybrid -- where Honda simply turned off almost all of the hybrid on everyone because their batteries couldn't handle it (and even still, with only about 20% of the original hybrid left, batteries had to be replaced every 1.5 years!), lawsuits... settlements (on multiple issues).. the way Honda dismissed their customers with major complaints that later became additional lawsuits... let's just say it'll be another decade before I consider Honda again for anything other than a plain old ICE car -- and since I have no intention of getting another plain old ICE car, it'll be a long time before you ever see me in a Honda again. I know many people have good experiences w/Honda (as did I -- until their 2006/2007 Civic "Hybrids", and the way Honda handled it). But anyone who had one of these will be in no hurry to buy a Honda again, I think.

#18 stevepea, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  19. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought Prius had the brake hold function too?? And the sideview camera apparently only works on right side.
    Honda builds fine ICE cars which in my experience were well supported; I still prefer my 25year+ service experience with Honda World in Westminster over any of the 5 Toyota dealers I've tried. However, I also believe Honda has quite a way to go to building a Hybrid or Hybrid plug-in as good as my Prime. Hyundai/Kia just don't put out the quality of the Japanese cars.
    Of course, things change, manufacturers can't become complacent, and we clients must always be vigilant, looking for that new exciting Reliable model that will make us happy!
    General Motors, Ford, and especially FCA, I no longer even consider relevant for me!
    Way too many problems with apathetic, unprofessional dealers incapable/unwilling to deal with my, or my family's and friends' problems. Nevermore!

AChoiredTaste.com

pilotgrrl and Mark57 like this.
  20. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced