1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glad I did not TDI

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tedjohnson, Oct 23, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your welcome. Yeah you're probably right about that Bay Area comment. Almost everybody here seems like a douchebag one way or the other. Haha maybe its just me though.

I sure wish they made 'em like you here! ;)

2. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come to think of it (and why I didn't I cannot say), yes, I was looking at the Jetta (the only TDi available in the US at that time, I believe).

Q: What is the Golf Wagon? A stretched version of the regular? What they call the Jetta Sportwagen outside the US? Never heard of such a thing here.
    ~T

3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's the Jetta Sportwagen. Didn't realize they still call it a Jetta there. It's a Golf wagon in most of the rest of the world. Canada only got the name change this year and I thought the USA was the same.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or might it be that the European version uses big 20 once british pints while the US version uses tiny rip off 16 ounce US pints?

5. dopey423

dopey423 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i would have rather gone diesel hybrid, but alas, not available yet

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably part of it. People outside of US fail to consider this when comparing their cars, too often; their gallons are 15% larger.

7. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update on this as the new Consumer Reports reliability survey came out the other day. Up to you how much you trust them. But they did say,

And the Prius was only rated average :p But I'm guessing the Golf TDI was only about average too as I believe there was a recall to do an ECU update. I think it's worth repeating: VW's reliability as a company still is below average. But there are a few bright sports such as the Golf and Jetta.

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    IIRC, their detailed breakdown showed the 2010 Prius as well above average in every reliablity sub category. Its real hard to see how this equates to an average overall rating!

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    True in general, but the UK actually is an example against that rule because diesel is not cheaper, yet it has had successful market penetration.

Or so I read. Please correct any error.

10. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They said it was due to ABS problems on early cars.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Diesel fuel was cheaper than petrol in the UK but back in the mid 1990's as more and more people realised that the newer diesel cars were not so bad or as compromised as they once were and started buying them, the government slowly started to increase the tax on diesel. Eventually it became equal to petrol and then slowly started to increase over the cost of petrol. Not sure if this is down to total taxation or supply and demand (more trucks, trains and diesel cars - less petrol usage).

This has only happened in the last couple years or so when there was already large diesel penetration. However, more emphasis is now being made to local air pollution AND fuel economy, hence more interest in hybrids and EV's.

1 person likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks GC. So perhaps a better question is how are diesels selling vs petrol in 2010 in the UK ?

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They're still gaining ground. Remember, we've been told by the Government for the last 10 years that diesel is best and slowly people believed them. The tide however is starting to turn - slowly.