1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glade mine came with an Toyota extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exbauer, Aug 6, 2013.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sold my PIPA since I will be moving and parking on the street where I cannot plug in. Other personal reasons resulted in a purchase of a 2008 Touring Prius package 6 with 62,000 miles. It came with a Toyota extended warranty that could be transferred. That was the main factor I choose this one. It was for sale by owner and seemed to be maintained pretty well. She had service records and corresponded to what I was able to find from the Toyota owner website. When I went to test drive it, it needed an alignment and the brake pedal was making a clicking noise and I assumed it needed to be lubricated. I am one to purchase new cars since I able to know the service and maintenance history.

After taking ownership I changed the 12 V battery with an Optima Top, transmission fluid drained and filled, and an alignment. I took it to Toyota to have the brake clicking noise checked out and the passenger window made a noise when rolling up. They put me in a rental and I was on my way. They called and said the brake actuator, window motor and regulator needed to be replaced. When I picked up the car, everything was fixed under warranty. I saw the total and it was a whopping $2,900 bill.

I am not one for an extended warranty. But, glad I purchased a used Prius with one. I plan on keeping this for a while since it has at least 2 years left on the warranty. Like everybody says, an extended warranty is like insurance. You might not use it, you might. I did and came out ahead.