1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glaring NAV version 4.2 system errors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Nov 15, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"52026)</div>

That would be one heck of a download; over 8 GB!

If they were smart, they'd send a letter to those with affected VINs along with a short questionnaire. Anyone not interested could simply discard the material while those experiencing problems could fill it out and request a new DVD. Toyota could then send the new disk along with instructions on how to remove the old disk and insert the new one (we're not building rockets here).[/b][/quote]

Doesn't that make SO MUCH more sense? It must make better financial sense. Are they afraid folks won't be able to figure out where to put a sticker? Geez, they could even say "If you have difficulty ejecting and inserting something as inanely simple as a DVD go see your dealer for help."

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont know that it makes more sense. considering that some cars are no longer owned by the original purchaser so Toyota would be sending notices to people who will most likely round file.

then they would have to wait for a response, then send out the disk.

what they are doing is eliminating that step. creating and sending out mail is not cheap, then consider the people who must answer the mail verses what they are doing now which im sure is all by computer, minimal human intervention.

i believe that Toyota is doing the right way, as usual

and finally, i work in tech support... i can garantee you that it doesnt matter how simple of a procedure you are talking about... some people will not be able to do it.

the only thing i would change might be the option of having the disk sent straight to your house. but having the dealer order for you just plain makes sense.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52055)</div>
    Yet, that's exactly what they're doing. The difference is the mail that's being sent does nothing more than instruct owners to contact their dealers for a fix that isn't much more difficult than inserting a CD into the CD player.

As for the costs involved in responding and sending out disks, I don't see how that could be more expensive than 2/10 of an hour in dealer compensation.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone received the letter as yet?

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No letter yet, but I'm having mine done along w/ the fuel tank/filler update tomorrow at Right Toyota in Scottsdale.

7. frbill

frbill New Member

I just got my letter, but I had already hounded the dealer into calling corporate . They Got my DVD on Friday :)

Peace,

Fr. Bill

8. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(metamatic\";p=\"51295)</div>
    This confirms the old saying:
    "Two wrongs don't make a right...but three lefts do!"

9. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Installed version 4.2 myself this morning at the dealership...no fuss, no muss, no bother. 8)

Of course I had to turn in v4.1, but that was a small price to pay. :D

10. woemcats

woemcats New Member

Maybe I am an idiot, but I couldn't figure out how to get the DVD out of the little box. I took off the outer plastic cover and slid aside the little lever that makes the "door" slide open, but there was no other button to press to eject the DVD, and pressing the slider button again didn't do anything.

11. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woemcats\";p=\"52583)</div>
    Before doing what you did, the power must be in IGN or ACC, then everything will work as advertised. Sliding the "little lever" to the left is all that is necessary to eject the DVD....after a delay of a few seconds, which seemed like an hour when I did it at the dealer's. :oops:

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: I must admit to a basic belief in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.! and I have had no real problems with my NAV system to date. However, my dealer called and has the Rel 4.2 DVD in and will install after Thanksgiving. I will be upgraded from Rel. 3.1.

I will report back here on my experiences and whether I can detect any substantive changes.

13. lpleiss

lpleiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone else had the dealer tell them they can't order the CD until they have a work order on the car, and apparently they need the car in the shop to do that? I got my letter Monday and called today to make an appt for an oil change and to have the upgrade done. I mentioned to the guy on the phone that the letter said he would need my vin number to order a CD. He told me they couldn't order it until they had my car?????? Then he said when it arrived I could install it myself.

I guess that means I get to keep the old one, in case it's better.

Luta

'04 Salsa Red BG
    13600 miles

14. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lpleiss\";p=\"52649)</div>
    Yeah, the service writer at my dealer said they'd have to physically inspect the car before ordering the DVD. I brought it in but TIS was down so they were unable to do anything. I drove away and, later, was informed that they had ordered the DVD (they never did look at the car). Sheesh!

15. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got my new DVD today. I ordered it when I made my appointment, I just gave them my VIN. Its version 4.2 so far no differences in where I've been so far...

16. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    got the new version...took dealer 1 hr to do...from what i can tell...very little change ,at least in my geographical area...

17. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see some minor improvements after comparing v4.2 to v4.1 for about a week. For instance, a newly rerouted and four-laned road (MS 605) is shown in the correct position*, the main highway along the beach (US 90) is named correctly, and the voice alerts for upcoming intersections and off-ramps are more clear and precise.

Based on this very limited analysis, I'd say the upgrade was worth the price... :roll: :D

* v4.1 showed us driving off into the bayou...not good! :lol:

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I'll be waiting until I get my 15K oil change. I have 8500 miles on it now, should come up to 10K in about 2-3 weeks (I put about 100 miles a day on weekdays), so I should get the update in Feb. or March.

19. ratrent

ratrent New Member

In south San Jose, CA, there's an intersection of Santa Teresa and Blossom Hill. Every time I set up a route that goes south through that intersection, it makes me turn right (west), go around the block, and reenter the same street on the other side. It's like the navi system thinks there's a black hole in the middle of that intersection that I must avoid at all costs.

The funny part is that it does the *exact* same thing on my Acura's navi system. So, I conclude that all navi systems use either the same database or come from a small set of databases.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) NAV update from Version 3.1 to 4.2 completed. In the Dallas TX Metro area I can see no major differences. Perhaps more POI locations and some roads/highways more up-to-date.

The Dealer did give me the old Version 3.1 DVD.